Big Snaps Lurking! Mokau...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (8) Likes(8)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Snaps Lurking! Mokau...
    Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:45am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Finally an opening yesterday so Aaron and I took full advantage of it! Bar a bit bigger than we hoped, copped a couple over the front, got a bit wet as you do in a centre console crossing a bar but glad to be out. We fished a bit deeper than normal first two hours as the water out there was cleaner. Only a few Gurnhard and Kahawai along with heaps of Sharks we decided to go in closer. Important if catching alot of Sharks Straylining check trace line after each one for nicks and damage. If so retie or replace as you never know when a decent Snap's going to hit! Seen it many a time people loose a big Snap on a Trace Break. About the four hour mark Aaron was over the Sharks and wanted to move, i said stay not worth it for the hour of fishing we had left.  No sooner as i said stay Aaron had a huge Drag screaming Run! It was a Snap finally. Many big runs he finally played it to boat and gaffed it. I got a run shortly after and played in an 8kg Snap but dwarfed by Aarons 11.5 in the Photo's. Aaron with his and myself holding both. That was our day 50 odd Sharks 10 Gurnhard and two Snaps destined for the Smoker. Cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:13am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish, a couple of beauties. 50 sharks!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:38pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Geoff, great catch there...well done!!

How does the next month or two fish for you down there? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:08pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Thumbs Up 
Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:45pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done, those 50 odd sharks paid off Wink
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:42pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:17pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work mate. Did the miles, got the smiles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Hi Geoff, great catch there...well done!!

How does the next month or two fish for you down there? 
Hi Jackel, August much the same as now but mid September on fishing improves as the sharks start buggering off. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vr4king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 7:08am
vr4king View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow serious snaps there.......How deep were you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:11am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was just thinking i had not seen a 20lb winter snapper yet.
Thanks for motivation to the boat fixed Geoff, i needed that on these cold wet winter days.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by vr4king vr4king wrote:

Wow serious snaps there.......How deep were you?
18 metres vr4king.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Thanks for motivation to the boat fixed Geoff, i needed that on these cold wet winter days.
Hi CrayZfish, wots wrong with boat? Have to tow it down here one of these days for a crack at some Mokau Snaps!Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:06pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

50 is nice even number😀.
Great snaps Geoff and Aaron 👍
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonga-tui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:19pm
tonga-tui View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome work Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:09am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Hi CrayZfish, wots wrong with boat? Have to tow it down here one of these days for a crack at some Mokau Snaps!Beer 

Engine won't rev more than 3000rpm not even enough to get on the plane. Have changed leads and plugs but no change. suspect its a blocked carb. Just needed some motivation to fix it. Thanks Mate
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:23am
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome fish Geoff. Looking forward to getting back down n the very near future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 8:13pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Geoff a couple of Beautys.Thumbs Up
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:47pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The sharks are such a pain, well done guys
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.