Tow vehicle

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:43am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Morning All
I'm looking at a low k's Isuzu Bighorn Plasir.  Turbo/auto etc.
I've got a 620 Senator HT.
Anyone done much towing with one of these and how do they rate.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:53am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've towed a buccaneer 510 and now an FC595 with one and had no problems.  They have a much better turning circle than other tow vehicles I've had.  If you are doing long trips or big hills then a transmission oil cooler would be worthwhile. 

I did blow a Bighorn up a few years ago, but I was trying to tow a 2t boat the length of North Island which was probably pushing it a bit.  Did OK from Wellington to Taihape, but then it got seriously hilly and it struggled.  I pushed it too hard though, should have dropped into low gear and crawled up them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have low kms 96 bighorn 3.1. Diesel has been towing the aprox gross 1500 kg (trailer tow weight) commander for many yrs now.85kg vertical weight on the hitch.
 They have a manufacture pull weight of 3.5T.
We used to go thru Whitford hills to get to the ramp...gets down to around 60km/hr on a couple very steep parts. not hard down pushing , being sensible.
 Towing with the older model (around 2010) hilux  drops to around 80 kms.. newer model 85kms... 2015 ssangyong 2L actyon 75km.
 Towing from Auckland over the coros, we dont expect miracles over the big hills but not an issue.. something bigger would be better (currently looking at Rexons)

a 620 Senator HT would be getting up o the 2T, maybe little over fully loaded??
 A friend used to tow their 635 buccaneer all over the country with their 3.1  Diesel big horn.. certainly felt the load but did it well for many yrs... that included tent gear etc.
 That would have been over the 2 T

A must, a trans cooler.. doesnt need to be huge, plumbed in before the radiator  (NOT AFTER). Postion to least air flow to raditor itself.
 Goes after .. trans fluid has a best operating temp range. If trans oil is too hot or too cold , gets initially cooled in the cooler then adjusted to correct temp in the radiator.
 We have a basic elcheapo super cheap cooler.. only had trans light flash up on once.. before the cooler, when got the trailerstuck in the sand on a beach launch.

Important to make use of the overdrive button on the side of the auto shifter on hills, even take off with big weights, just as the engine starts to load before loosing momentum.
 At the ramp regularly use the 4x4 when towing upo, even if dont need it (99% of the time) if dont use it occasionally it tends to stuff up with lack of use.

Kevins mention of turning circle.. beats hands down all of the above I have mentioned , plus colorado and  VW amarx and mid 90s petrol hi lux....
  Bighorn rear window mirror is hopless for watching , backing upo to the trailer hitch, even if painted pink fluro.
 Reversing camera has to be mounted so can see thru the gap between rear step and body....
 Down side takes a bit getting used to distance when close to the tow ball... slon is have the hutch 1/2" low, so back up, it lifts over the ball and can see that happen.

Important.. dont buy a big horn then let the missus use it to go to work etc.. she will end up "owning it" the  when you go fishing mid week, complain cause she has to take the 69 camaro, and the work m8s all go out for lunch...Wink

Would we buy another mid 90s bighorn.. yep , if could find one with regular service history and below 150000 kms on the clock.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:28pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have owned my short WB manual 92 3.1 Bighorn for 13 years and apart from blowing the turbo on way to work ( a common problem but an easy fix) a couple years back i have had 13 years of trouble free towing. When looking for a replacement last year i stopped because i was looking for something that does not exist (A modern Bighorn). So am happy with Irmy until it start's costing more than its worth to keep on the road.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:54pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When looking for a replacement last year i stopped because i was looking for something that does not exist (A modern Bighorn)

Yep thats what we have found, finding.. my comment looking at a Rexton above.
 Modern units just dont have the same towing weight, many dont have full chassis anymore, and love the high 'drive a truck' see around of the big horns.. then throw in the other 7 seats have real crap rear back seats.. at least with the big horn, ok for couple ave sized guys going to a test match back there (rexton at best couple the grandchildren taking them to the movies in school holidays.

We did have to recon the diesel pump.. wasnt cheap $1800.
 Apparently it noting t do with a 'fault' but a change of derseil formula a few yrs back and not good on older pump seals.
 Changed the cam belt.. and light on...have to dismantle the lower dash and just jumper to re set it.. have never bothered.
 They have a habit of ABD light coming on occasionally...it is one of the speed sensors in the trans... registered a error X times light comes on....fix.. turn ign on wait for the check go thru , lights off then start up.. if comes on stop and do the above...yrs all the abs still works with light on and that error. 
 And they also have a habit with the 4x4 sensor on left of screen...and the auto, 2 wheel and 4x4 all still work fine.. the light under just stays on.
 Milage.. odometer has about 7/8%.. the wrong way when comes to paying deseil road tax...you over pay...
Which also means they do around 9.2L/100km on actual real numbers rather than if off the odometer around 10.6.
 9.2 is about the same as most modern similar vehicles, except when get a good load on the hitch, the modern ones are far more economical due to better computers and 5 and 6 speed gearboxes.

Rem we are talking vehicles now 20/ 25 yrs old now..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:43am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Guys
I've got an 09 Ssangyong dc ute with about 116k on the clock.  It does pretty well everything I want and tows the Senator like its not there but I did a transmission at 80k (warranty luckily)and a turbo at 110k. Going like a dream at the moment but a bit edgy on what else is going to crap out.  Having said that also a thinking about the logic of going back 12/13 years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The background research I have done indicates ssangyongs,  somewhere around the  pre 2011 had a few recall issues in Aussie and elseware, and a few other problems.
 Get up into the new models around  post 2014/2016 things look far more reliable.
Hence why we are looking at ssangyong ute and rexton 2016 upwards.
 But keeping the big horn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:02am
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nissan Regulus with the QD32ETI is another solid tow vehicle from the same era
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I posted this up a few yrs ago..
 For a few days every time you are out on the road count the number of 'other' ( from land rover, toyota, nissan, mitsy, thru to ford and chevy,) from the period, and number of big horns and variants .
Doing so 3 or 4 yrs ago gave very surprising results, espec the percentage of results.
 Some of the nissan models from the period suffered from a serious rust problem that was/is listed in the WoF inspection manual bulletens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:24pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've just looked at Bighorns on trademe, was quite surprised to find that low mileage examples (under 150k) are all around $10k and anything under 200k is up around $6k.  I've had mine a few years now, and it actually seems to be increasing in value -which doesn't happen very often with used cars.  I might even go and wash the moss and lichen off it now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 2:03pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I've just looked at Bighorns on trademe, was quite surprised to find that low mileage examples (under 150k) are all around $10k and anything under 200k is up around $6k.  I've had mine a few years now, and it actually seems to be increasing in value -which doesn't happen very often with used cars.  I might even go and wash the moss and lichen off it now.

I had the same experience with my Hilux, owned it for a few years and the increased mileage seemed to increase its value!! 

Edit: I read on this forum somewhere that the 'common rail' Bighorns should be avoided but I cant elaborate on that, but know doubt someone else can. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 2:58pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a 94 SWB Bighorn manual has done over 400,000 km. Bought it about 98, just change oil and put diesel in.It refuses to die. Oh I have had a few bulbs blow. Don't use it for towing boat have SWB low mileage Safari auto for that. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:24pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Edit: I read on this forum somewhere that the 'common rail' Bighorns should be avoided but I cant elaborate on that, but know doubt someone else can. 

Yes, that's the later 3.2 diesel.  They do have a bad reputation, the earlier 3.1 diesel is apparently a much better engine.  I don't think they had those engines for very long before they stopped making them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:31pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Be aware of low K's Bighorns if buying.
They have a habit of a dicky speedo pick up and many i know of have worked intermittantly. When your speedo only does 40ks for a 6 hour drive it means your either in normal auckland traffic or speedo plays up a bit. Great when you have a Diesel.
Not so great if the Bighorn you are looking at buying has low K's but looks tired there may be more to the story.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:46pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah pays to check how much wear on the foot pedals. They wind back speedos and change tires but don't bother with the rubber on the pedals
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 4:10pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When your speedo only does 40ks for a 6 hour drive it means your either in normal auckland traffic......

The odometer/ speedo cant be turned off or disconnected .. the stops the vehicle from running.. and if reads incorrect you are also likely to get a ABS warning light.
 Another consideration is plugging the right diagnostic tool in to read or re set.. only a handful read the mid 90s bighorns, even then it maybe a bighorn but have to go to say Mexican trooper option.
 It was several yrs ago sorting or trying to sort out the abs and 4x4 lights (in above posts) found all this stuff.

Dont take  trademe sell prices as indicative of value...for anything.
 We paid 9K for ours with service record and about 170K on the clock around 2012.. considered that top dollar back then.. well top edge of fair price.
Now recon (uninformed guesstimate based on a friend's selling about a yr ago and sons 18 months ago) 4500 to $5500.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 4:36pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

When your speedo only does 40ks for a 6 hour drive it means your either in normal auckland traffic......

The odometer/ speedo cant be turned off or disconnected .. the stops the vehicle from running.. and if reads incorrect you are also likely to get a ABS warning light.
 Another consideration is plugging the right diagnostic tool in to read or re set.. only a handful read the mid 90s bighorns, even then it maybe a bighorn but have to go to say Mexican trooper option.
 It was several yrs ago sorting or trying to sort out the abs and 4x4 lights (in above posts) found all this stuff.

Dont take  trademe sell prices as indicative of value...for anything.
 We paid 9K for ours with service record and about 170K on the clock around 2012.. considered that top dollar back then.. well top edge of fair price.
Now recon (uninformed guesstimate based on a friend's selling about a yr ago and sons 18 months ago) 4500 to $5500.
HaHa "Steps" you obviously didnt see highway patrol where the young fella fitted a switch to stop the speedo to avoid paying diesel tax.    http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/5036378/Stamping-out-diesel-odometer-meddling
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:26pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Odometer, not speedo. And its usually a Nissan hack, well known to happen on safaris and patrols. Don't ask me how I know.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:16pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

The background research I have done indicates ssangyongs,  somewhere around the  pre 2011 had a few recall issues in Aussie and elseware, and a few other problems.
 Get up into the new models around  post 2014/2016 things look far more reliable.
Hence why we are looking at ssangyong ute and rexton 2016 upwards.
 But keeping the big horn.
I'm sure that you remember I bought a 2107 Ssangyong ute last year. Absolutely love it.
Never felt an engine and Auto transmission feel a smooth as this combo.
The 2L TD has a heap of power for me. And the new one has a bigger engine I believe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Odometer, not speedo. And its usually a Nissan hack, well known to happen on safaris and patrols. Don't ask me how I know.

I know nothing about this .Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  12>