Coromandel fishing advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coromandel fishing advice
    Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 5:39pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - looking for some advice. My dad and I do an annual fishing trip and I am doing some planning for our next round. My dad is battling cancer so I need to organise something for him to look forward to as he has another op and chemo coming up. We’ve done Waiheke, Tauranga harbour and Tasman bay (this year), unfortunately Tasman bay was just after Gita and Nelson got smashed so the fishing was poor. I am thinking we will go to the coromandel next time round and I was thinking of maybe basing ourselves at oamaru bay and fishing around that area, mussel farms etc. I have a Smartwave 4200 30hp easy to launch and retrieve but don’t go out too wide so mainly harbour fishing etc. I am based in Wellington so a 7-8 hour drive would be my max. Would like to target snaps and a kingie would be great. Need easy launch and retrieve as well as a relatively sheltered spot. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated - thinking either nov/dec or feb/mar timing.
Many thanks
Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 7:13pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coromandel has some good spots,easy launching at sugar loaf(te kouma ramp)farms  close to ramp,esk point can have kings at right time of year. November is ok but April is better.bit quiet over summer months.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:14pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get in touch with either Anglers Lodge at Amodeo Bay or Papa Aroha Holiday Park. Both cater for fishing tourists, can sort you out with accommodation, fishing guides, charters, launch/retrieve fish cleaning etc etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:54pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

+1 on Anglers Lodge at Amodeo bay. Only slightly further than Oamaru Bay. First lot of mussel farms in front of the islands straight out from the ramp usually produce well. Will have no trouble accessing them or the inner islands in your boat(use to in a 10ft tinny, mac360 and now these days in a FC430) Have launch and retrieve service for a small charge too if you don't want to launch yourself. Facilities are imo the best on the west side of Coro. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 7:25pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oamaru bay camp is good you can rent a cabin and the boat ramp is across the road. Should be fine for your boat. The mussel farms are very handy with every chance of a dory or kingi on a live bait. Coromandel town is not far for a meal or drink. Top spot.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a place just a km or so north of Anglers Lodge. Their launching service is great with you not even having to get your feet wet. Definitely worth looking at.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Fantastic - thanks all for the advice. I had come across anglers lodge in my research so will definitely strongly consider as an option when making bookings.
Cheers
Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:13pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks fishy - for interests sake how do you find the fc430 I was strongly considering when I’d bought my Smartwave. I’d already had a Smartwave 3500 so stuck with the known but 430 looked impressive for similarish $$
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:33pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No worries. With the FC430- have the centre console version, 60hp merc 4 stroke owned about 9 months and pretty happy with it.
2mtr beam and huge full length chines/ gull wing ish design honestly make it handle like a much larger boat. Never felt unsafe out wide ish, Aldermans from Whangamata, Channel island from Amodeo bay, outer reefs/islands from Tauranga and will get used out west at some stage too. Maybe a few things we'd change if we did it again but that's hindsight(not faults, just setup wise) factory is happy to modify/ do add ons etc down the line where possible though so no major.
Anything else/ more detail happy to chat, good luck with getting up Coro and hopefully you get onto some fish.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 7:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all managed to get a Bach through a guy at work at Wyuna bay. Heading up weekend after labour weekend. Any advice on fishing spots much appreciated - keen to get the old man onto a snap and a kingie if possible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baleup@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:06am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

depending on ur range channel rock is an awsome live bait spot for big kingfish have u ever looked into doing a great barrier island trip although the price has risen over last few years since i last done one the trip is priceless
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that - a bit restricted on distance have a Smartwave 4200 with a 30 so would really depend on conditions. Would love to go to barrier but would be a bit far so looking to target mussel farms and any other recommended spots!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:28pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you can get to say 35meters and drift over the sand/mud you should go well. Often the fish are shallow but you will normally get them deeper consistently. I dont target Kings but at the point of and of the islands in current you will get a rewards but you may need to get a burley trail going to get the bait fish around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baleup@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

the new farms off other side of coro at kaiaua fish really well as well and also kawakawa bay which is not much more then a stone throw away all weather tide ramp an very nice little place