Not very smart, Smartwave build

Topic Closed

Page  <1 2345>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:07pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Late update, but I picked the trailer up from glav on thursday afternoon, and totally underestimated the work that would be involved with getting it assembled post galv. Regardless we got it assembled and the boat sitting on it before I took it home to fit up the center console into the hull. It turned out to be a veeeeery late night. But is all looking good. Its now at the boat shop having the engine fitted as we speak Wacko

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:54am
Gold
Gold

Jason at Active Outboards works super fast and got the motor fitted up quick, really happy with how it looks on there, the trailer launched and retrieved like a dream, (the ramp was very calm and quite steep so not the ultimate test). The sea-trial went ok, had a bit of porpoising so we are looking to remedy that first. 3 guys standing on one side of a 14 foot boat without it flipping is very impressive.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 9:43am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That must fly with that on there?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 11:48am
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What a little beauty!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 1:39pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pocket battleship! Just look at that sounder up there :D
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:58am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks good on the water
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:10pm
MIDJIT 007 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Did this to the old man boat, got Nautech Marine to extend legs on the bait board. Works a treat as everything at hand whilst fishing, and covers dead space from petrol tanks. Looks like the birds love sitting on it as well.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:17pm
Bronze
Bronze

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Also stuck a trademe T top on it, which gives a great amount of hand holds. Boat works a treat.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
RooW View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Man she looks good on the water.

Love the look of that bait board MIDJIT, nicely done.

What are you thinking for baitboard Marknado? And additional rod holders?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You could put a lot more than three people on the side of that boat before you capsize it. It's going to be a little machine when done.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:01am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

You could put a lot more than three people on the side of that boat before you capsize it. It's going to be a little machine when done.

Yeah I bet, will test when I have a few more people on board LOL

Originally posted by RooW RooW wrote:

Man she looks good on the water.

Love the look of that bait board MIDJIT, nicely done.

What are you thinking for baitboard Marknado? And additional rod holders?

Will be additional rod holders coming, but not a bait board for this one, wouldnt get much use on my boat!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:01am
Gold
Gold

The Smartwave seat/bin was next on my list to get the chop. Size-wise its identical in dimensions to a 90l long Icey-Tek, but is only single skinned (no insulation) with bolts through into the floor and no bung for draining/cleaning. So its more of a dry storage bin than a chilli/fish bin. And with its size it takes up more real estate on the deck than I was happy with. 

Smartwave Bin

55L Grey Icey-Tek - Overall its a fair bit smaller, but big enough for all I need, I wont be using it as a seat much as I prefer to stand but being a bit lower its still a nice height and will offer more protection from spray over the side if I need it.

The bin had to be easily removable for taking off the boat to fillet, or take onto the beach etc, so needed to not be bolted down. I didnt want anything hard protruding above the floor youre likely to kick, so eyelets and bolts were out of the question.

This is the system I have come up with for now, a slot cut into the Icey-Tek with plastic camlock Aerofasts around a piece of rope passed through the threaded inserts of the existing bin tied underneath.

With the bin removed it just leaves two pieces of rope laying on the floor. Perfect for short topwater casting trips etc where I dont need a bin and the space is more useful.

If I want to swap the smartwave one back for extra storage it only takes a couple of minutes.

And lastly no one wants beers covered in fish or wet sandwiches, so I modified the Icey-Tek to have a removable basket to dry-store the important things.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thought on the bin (and maybe no bait board)
 We have taken to gutting fish as we catch them, rinse throw in bin.
 This has made a huge diffrence to our fillets.. taste and now noticing last far longer in the fridge..
 The fish dont poo bleed over each other.
When clean the bin its basically only needs a wipe out..thu do hose it anyway.
 We used to keep lunch , drinks in separate containers rather than the fish bin, because of the ungutted fish would tant food very quick.
We have also gone from bags sea ice and surry, make  own sea salt blocks, to  plastic freezer blocks...lifting these above fish as they go in the bin and into the gut cavity of the larger fish.
The freezer blocks did cause a problem, when dropping them in the bin from the freezer before loading the boat.. cracking the bottom of the bin liner. A trimmed sheet of 1" polystyrene laid in the bottom.

Gutting means need a bench, and you mentioned back a bit not needing a bait board. We have our normal bait board, and another basic one that clips (star clips) to the gunnels that we use to boil up a cuppa , or cook up a couple fillets at sea, or overnighting.. BUT the star clips have way too much bounce/ play to be practical , so have a leg under it to support. Its just a bit of broom handle the right length.
the 'table' spends most of its time stows on its side away in a cnr.

When we gut we also have a set of heavy duty kitchen shears.. these clip the sharp points off the fish spines.. dont cut flush with the body. This makes filleting later far easier when home... and rinsing hands at end of the day in lemon juice not painful.

Im not so sure about the rope tie downs.. I can see the seat sliding and even bounce on a wave...
I think I would be looking at hatch clips.. on the bin and the small metal loop ends on the floor???
 Sort of like this

Or clip quick release buckle/ strap like on battery box , except not going right over, but thru clips on the side of the bin.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:49am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

We have taken to gutting fish as we catch them, rinse throw in bin.
 This has made a huge difference to our fillets.. taste and now noticing last far longer in the fridge..

Particularly relevant to tarakihi.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 10:20am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Moots Moots wrote:

You're ridiculous!  pretty much the best thought out small boat I have ever seen. Well done!

LOL Hopefully she will be a good-un.

Steps, thanks for your thoughts, Ive been without a bait board on both my boats for 3+ years now, and haven't wished for one yet. I have tried gutting at sea previously, and just prefer to do this at home. It works for me.

The fastenings are VERY secure, I cant budge it with my force when testing, I lined the bottom of the bin with 3M Anti slip tape, which meshes with the carpet and sticks like **** to a blanket.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:30pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depending on the forces involved in the strapping, you may find that plastic slit on the bin deforming over time. Polyethylene will creep under pressure. Anti slip tape or velcro a good idea. 

Time will tell, but a plastic welder would sort it fast.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:42pm
Gold
Gold

The return behind it is very shallow, so thats as much meat as I could leave at the bottom. It does seem at first look like it is plenty strong enough. If it does show sign of deforming, a plastic welder as you say can sort it easily. Or attach an aluminium plate to the face of it to spread the load.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:10pm
Lone Star View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have just had Penguin Sea & Surf/NZ Outdoor Gear make me a customized insulated bag to fit under my seat in my Smartwave 4200.  I gave them the measurements and it has worked out perfectly.  Think it worked out to be about 70L in volume from memory.
I also gave them the measurements for the spaces under the two stern corner seats and had insulated bags made up in there as that is where I plan to store ice/bait as well.

Page  <1 2345>