Advise on starting engine

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise on starting engine
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:42pm
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi I need some advise on starting a desiel inboard that hasn’t been started in 3 years
Will the fuel need replacing before turning over ?
Will the fuel lines be ok ?
What other problems might I face or prepare for ?
Sat in a paddock all this time luckily the trailer seems ok but the cows did take a liking to the tail lights plug
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:03pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gaff, what a find.
The diesel should be okay if water has not got into the tank.
If water is in the tank you could have a strong dose of diesel bug which you do not wish to pump through the fuel pump. So sample the fuel to check. If lots of black stuff floating in the water and diesel then dump it, rinse tank and put some fresh fuel in it.
Check the tank, is the lid secure? can you drain any dregs of water/diesel out of the bottom of the tank - should have a drain on it so he water can be drained out or suck out the bottom dregs with a small hand or battery drill pump..
Check fuel filters and renew any replaceable filter elements.
Hoses should be okay if not exposed to sunlight but check them thoroughly. 
What make is the engine?
You should know how to bleed the pump and injectors if there is no fuel in the lines.
Check the cooling water pump impeller and replace if kinked badly, hard to touch(lost its supple bendy feelings).....starting the engine with an old impeller can end up with broken blades throughout the cooling system.  Poke a running hose into the water intake (may have to remove grill to do this).
Make sure you have the right sized starting battery and it is fully charged and in good order. An old battery sitting round for years is not normally a good battery. 
Start cranking it over......make sure you have the shed doors open, it maybe a bit smokey.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:13pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

as above and clean the high tension connections incl the ground so you don't get bitten there, now or later.

interesting thread, keep us posted...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:22pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would also change the oil and oil filter. 

I would remove the old fuel filter element on the engine and drain as much fuel as possible out of the fuel-lines on the engine.  Once you know the fuel in the tank is good add a new filter element and re-prime, bleed air out etc.

My only other concern would be if once of the pistons has stuck - unlikely with a diesel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:06pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

I would also change the oil and oil filter. 

I would remove the old fuel filter element on the engine and drain as much fuel as possible out of the fuel-lines on the engine.  Once you know the fuel in the tank is good add a new filter element and re-prime, bleed air out etc.

My only other concern would be if once of the pistons has stuck - unlikely with a diesel.

Mike I would just check the engine has oil for the first start up.
Get it going is the next hurdle.
Then warm it up on another start up and then change the oil and oil filter.
If you pump out the oil on a cold engine that has been sitting a long time you may leave a lot of stuff that you do not want inside it - water, sludge, carbon etc. which you pour good oil on to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:48am
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys this sounds like great information
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:36am
Platinum
Platinum

if in keri I have a tenant there who is good on diesels if you need help.

he's kinda retired.

pm me if you want his dets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:44am
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Gary
Would love his details
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:37am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

If you pump out the oil on a cold engine that has been sitting a long time you may leave a lot of stuff that you do not want inside it - water, sludge, carbon etc. which you pour good oil on to.

Good point.  I'd still be concerned about flow through the filter though if it has been sitting for ages ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

as above and clean the high tension connections incl the ground so you don't get bitten there, now or later.

Im pretty basic (less than that) on diesel engines.. where/what are HT leads on a diesel ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:40pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mike that can be an issue.
My experience is get the engine to fire up first, run for a very short time as you only have a temporary cooling water supply.
Then shutdown and go over everything thoroughly, plus work on the stuff you have found.
2nd startup run until the engine is warm, then do the oil and filter change after shutdown.
That oil will be only used for about 20 25 hours before the next oil and filter change.
If running sweet then go fishing.

I do hope Gaff puts up some pictures and posts his progress on this project. I enjoy these stories.

One thing I forgot, turn the engine over manually ( crank handle or a big spanner on the end of crankshaft) before engaging the start motor. You want to make sure that there is no water in the pistons to eliminate hydraulicing the engine. If there is and you crank it, you could end with some major engine repairs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

Probably not correct term on my part Steps... I am referring to battery leads and all connections to switches etc and the ground wire at both ends not just the battery end...