Car Feedback ...please

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Playtime123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Feedback ...please
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:15pm
Playtime123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a 2007 Santa Fe with 211000km on it over the last year it's had a engine rebuild, brakes done, recon starter motor ( all up about $7k of work ) and now the steering rack has given up another $1k

Question is do I keep it or get something else.
If I get something else was thinking ..New Triton $40k or Pathfinder 2015 again $40k so can get a big family car ...that can also beach launch the FC535... or is a big new expensive car just going to get trashed sitting in the water ?

Any feedback or car ideas welcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 7:21am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just looking at prices no Trademe it seems your car is worth little more than the 7K you have recently put into it so the time to cut and run would have been before the rebuild etc..

Up to you but if the car is in otherwise ok condition given the money you have recently invested I’d fix the rack and get some value out of your $7k investment otherwise it’s like burning $7k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:47am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, I think the car is going to rust badly if its dunked in the water. One suggestion though - I had my ute (that occasionally has its back wheels in the sea), underside sand blasted and painted with 3 coats of epoxy paint, to hopefully keep rust at bay.
If near Auckland, Autoblast at North Shore do a good job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:19am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unless you cavity wax all inside the rails and then use a bituminous underseal it will still rust.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:22am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeap to all of the above.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Playtime123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:21pm
Bronze
Bronze

Do I really need 4x4?
or is all wheel drive OK? 
If not going off road are they close enough to the same thing?)
Mainly Stanmore Bay beach launching - been stuck once there ...not keen on repeating that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The low rider trailer on the FC boats, and the shape of the hull, means you're not going to need to go as deep as some other boats, but for peace of mind when beach launching I think 4X4 is helpful.

to my mind, beach launching is definitely "off road" as beaches can change a lot between trips, you can never take anything for granted. Others on the forum who launch at Browns Bay in AWD are very cautious for that reason.

I have a Hilux SR5 double cab (two kids in the back) and love having a covered, high wheel base ute which is designed for that kind of work. So practical for family holidays, kids' bikes etc, horse and fishing gear in the back, loads of firewood. The Tuff Deck is bullet proof.

It's nobody's idea of a great touring car corning on very winding roads, but is fine on the motorway and other open roads, love the high up viewpoint, and the sheer practicality of low ratio when it comes to any driving on soft ground.
I imagine a Triton would be very similar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:16pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Playtime123 Playtime123 wrote:

Do I really need 4x4?
or is all wheel drive OK? 
If not going off road are they close enough to the same thing?)
Mainly Stanmore Bay beach launching - been stuck once there ...not keen on repeating that.

Why not join the boat club there & have free use of the club tractor & if cheeky enough could ask fellow member Russell Coutts who lives in a tiny house almost next door to help you to launch !

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Playtime123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:40am
Bronze
Bronze

I am keen on a 4x4 - just for launching and overall want more than need.

If i change car its got to be the compromise of being the boat tow vehicle and the primary family car for cant go to cheap even though I would prefer a VX. its just not practical for running an 2hr-1 2/2 hrup the southern motorway everyday for work.

But i do like the Jeeps for their cool factor (not sure what the maintenance cost is likely to be).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:43am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jeep, Just Empty Every Pocket.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:38am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Playtime123 Playtime123 wrote:

I am keen on a 4x4 - just for launching and overall want more than need.

If i change car its got to be the compromise of being the boat tow vehicle and the primary family car for cant go to cheap even though I would prefer a VX. its just not practical for running an 2hr-1 2/2 hrup the southern motorway everyday for work.

But i do like the Jeeps for their cool factor (not sure what the maintenance cost is likely to be).

We have a small hatchback as well, but we have two kids under 5 and so our Hilux has two baby seats in the back of the cab. It's our primary vehicle for family outings. The boys love being up high, and as I said, it's like a tough old-school station wagon on stilts in terms of chucking stuff in the back for beach trips and other adventures.

I looked a lot of SUVs and found the boot space smaller than my older model sedan, which had a massive boot. That's why you see people with SUVs with those carbon fibre storage tubes on top. 

Most of the better diesel engines thrive on high mileage, and are fine on motorways. But they are not for everyone.

Good luck if you buy a Jeep!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Playtime123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:19pm
Bronze
Bronze

reviews say....buy a hilux (D-Max, BT-50).

Ute it is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:34pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holden Colorado too as an option if you wanted to look cooler than the utes mentioned above..... Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Isuzu finally got it right with the dmax,very capable off road in all conditions, and a good strong reliable engine in them. We took one for a blast down the dunes in karioitahi,it went everywhere a swb fj40 did effortlessly.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Holden Colorado too as an option if you wanted to look cooler than the utes mentioned above..... Cool

Haha, just don't drive it too hard or it'll blow the engine like my farmer brother in law's did - who handed it back to the dealer. 

But in terms of looks, the Ranger or the Amarok are the leaders of the pack, I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:26pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm on my second new generation Colorado,Thumbs Up both of them have not required any warranty work apart from the rubber popping of the rear door of the latest one, mine have been bought as a dedicated towing vehicle (best in class) and they just love towing, most outward trips are at max GVM 6.5 tonne, inwards mostly empty but with a tandem trailer in tow, fuel computer tells me I average 10.4 overall.
The LTZ has every bell and whistle you could wish for.

Sure you will find a dog in any make/model, like my neighbours new BT 50, new motor at 1800 ks or one of my customers Ranger, motor has been out 3 times and it has yet to do 30,000 ks, the list goes on.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

No matter what the ute, someone has a horror story. I know people who hate Rangers, love Rangers, hate Colorado's, love Colorado's, hate Hi Lux's, love Hi Lux's, hate Terrano's, love Terrano's, love Amorok's hate Amorok's. True, I hear all the arguments. Bit of a pattern there. 

Personally I'd be a happy little man if i had any one of them.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ranger and bt50 run same motor,so no surprise there. Same as Mondeo and Mazda 6,same engines.
If I want another tow wagon,and owned a diesel pump,I'd go a GQ safari every time. Towed 4 ton to welly,hard as nails,only cost me an alternator is 60 thou kms. Tipped it on its side once,bugger all damage,reliable as a reliable thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:30pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don’t buy a Ute they are so overrated and unpractical, get a Toyota prado..... great for everything u can throw at it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I agree on the ute part,unless you want to pick up firewood, use the tray for filleting fish,need to carry a ton on the back,have stock dogs.....etc. I've got a 92 UF ford courier xlt ute,410km on the clock,use it for all of the above,never fails. I just have to check the petrol level and fill up the oil now and again. Seriously good for a furd.
Page  123>