Tips and tricks to small boats offshore?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:42pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by Roofless Roofless wrote:

Im always taking my 495 frewza offshore mainly the West Coast , but im aways watching the weather leading up to the day and the days after and like the other guys have talked about with knowing what the current is doing is a big part . One thing I do is replace my bilge pump quite often and I'm also fitting hand pump .

What Bar are you crossing usually? And would you say you get less than 10 days a year out west and have to hunker down in the harbour instead? Or do you find things a bit less bleak than that picture painted?

Good to hear ur doubling up on bilge and not RELYING on a pontoon ring to safe your life lol.

I think the 500 extreme or 500 classic osprey would be my ideal choice for small boat off shore. 450s are a bit smaller, but plenty of good 15ft glass boats out there and if an FC430 can do it i can see why a properly kitter Haines cant.

sorry yeah i should of said the Manukau bar and ive lost count how many trips i have done so far this year , last trip was out puka fishing around the 300 and the wind got up to 12 to 15 knot from the north trip before that i was at the 800 meter mark , i did a trip up north a while ago 10 ks out from north cape 10 knot noreast incoming tide flat as but once the tide turned wow what a massive difference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:46am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think what it is important not to lose sight of is that not all small boats are created equal. Neither are all skippers. While some are indeed foolhardy to take any boat off shore, there are plenty of others - such as I would suggest Roofless and Joker are - that are very capable skippers and know their limits. I like to think I know my limits too and I st my limits a little closer to home. As long as we realise our own realistic limitations (and that of the boat) and stick to them then that's fine by me.

While Roofless may be perfectly safe in his well appointed boat, plenty of others probably wont be. We all see those people at the boat ramp, some of them really do struggle. 

Remember the guy who took off to Australia in a 6m catamaran with his daughter? That guy ,while he made some poor choices as a dad, was clearly a very competent skipper.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:44am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just one point, are the less than 5 metre boats going out really wide all the time to catch marlin. Often those guys are the ones catching the marlin in close, in water that the bigger boats have gone past and never put their gear in the water.
It always pays to fish your feet.
Witness the recent batch of marlin caught of Ocean Beach.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:14pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Manukau

Id love to learn to cross some of the west coast bars.

Of them which are the easier, generally speaking?

I have a lot of time on my hands, some here know I have some serious health issues. Not something I really like talking about publicly.

Anyway Im sick of living in a bed. I want to get out and do what I love doing. So I have a LOT of days to choose from.

Surely a man in a Haines Hunter 445R will have plenty of days over winter to shoot out to kawwau or the hen and chics or maybe even learn to cross the manukau, although i dont know how wise that is in a 15ft boat? Maybe I should consider a used pontoon boat and add a bit more money. I just love how glass rides and that formula 15 hull is a beauty.

Unfortuntately the majority of my experience offshore is in Australia when I had boats between a 28 berties FBC and a 50ft FBC.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

To some the Manukau bar has a reputation as a dangerous bar crossing. If you understand it, things aren't so bad if you know what you're doing.

I much prefer it to river bars but it is because the Manukau is where my experience is. I have seen it flat enough to take a paddle board across. Unless you understand the dynamics of bars you shouldn't  try it on your own (if inexperienced) unless you have someone on board who is prepared to show you the ropes. 

Beach launching is a viable way of launching a small boat out west. You will be punished severely if you have no clues. Surf lifesavers get out there in atrocious conditions in little IRB's. It's not the boat, it is what you know. 

River bars tend to be short and sharp and take no prisoners, the Manukau bar can take 15 minutes to cross. 

If you have a crook back and can't keep your cool in a crisis then forget about it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:11pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah smudge the back isnt the main issue, the Manukau isnt one Im too worried about.

Do Matarangi often, just gotta ride a wave and have control of your boat.

Id like to try Kaipara, but the 2 big ones for me would be Mokau and Hokianga.

Will hook up with friends to show me the tricks of these bars.

The Manukau on a nice day doesnt even feel like a bar crossing the amount of times ive seen it that flat. Ive alao seen it quite gnarly. I stick to the other side when wind  and swell dictate.

Grew up doing estuaries like Kennedy bay, but they dont have bars either.

Its things like Raglan that worry me. So wont be doing alone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:56am
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Manukau

Id love to learn to cross some of the west coast bars.

Of them which are the easier, generally speaking?

I have a lot of time on my hands, some here know I have some serious health issues. Not something I really like talking about publicly.

Anyway Im sick of living in a bed. I want to get out and do what I love doing. So I have a LOT of days to choose from.

Surely a man in a Haines Hunter 445R will have plenty of days over winter to shoot out to kawwau or the hen and chics or maybe even learn to cross the manukau, although i dont know how wise that is in a 15ft boat? Maybe I should consider a used pontoon boat and add a bit more money. I just love how glass rides and that formula 15 hull is a beauty.

Unfortuntately the majority of my experience offshore is in Australia when I had boats between a 28 berties FBC and a 50ft FBC.

I take my little Fyran 440 all over Kawau, just need to pick your lines to seek protection from the wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:14am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If outboard pull start, always carry a spare new pull cord,spark plugs and adequate tools. On crossing Mokau Bar, it does have one major problem. There is no marker on outer rocks at the moment. The fishing club has tried all sorts of Bouys marker poles etc but during huge sea's and the river flooding massive tree's weighing tons come down the river and take out wot ever is marking the rocks. Saying that all locals know where they are but if you are a first timer check with myself if home, or ask others. Also you can see the rocks at low tide from land before you cross the bar later on the half tide. Hope this helps...Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:24am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey Geoff how you been?

i was meaning to come down and visit when I had my 4.5 RIB to learn the bar, never got round to it.

I love coming down the hills and then Mokau opens up its vista, such a glorious sight.

How far out are the good puka spots there, I presume you still get bluenose?

I found the answer to the thread in Matt Watson with his new 15ftr. But no way I can afford to deck it out like he has given the price of pontoon boats.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:41pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey Geoff how you been?

i was meaning to come down and visit when I had my 4.5 RIB to learn the bar, never got round to it.

I love coming down the hills and then Mokau opens up its vista, such a glorious sight.

How far out are the good puka spots there, I presume you still get bluenose?

I found the answer to the thread in Matt Watson with his new 15ftr. But no way I can afford to deck it out like he has given the price of pontoon boats.

I'm Good F.F, Hanging out for a fish though! The Mokau shelf is 55 miles out, plenty more Hapuka than Bluenose. A few of bigger local Boats make the trip a couple of times a year. Your old boat would of been perfect to beach launch. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:41pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

I'm Good F.F, Hanging out for a fish though! The Mokau shelf is 55 miles out, plenty more Hapuka than Bluenose. A few of bigger local Boats make the trip a couple of times a year. Your old boat would of been perfect to beach launch. Beer

Hmmm, you are making me reconsider buying a gull wing Haines 445R, 2m beam, they are very stable at rest for a 15ft glass boat and pretty darn quick with just a 75. But nobody would cross the Mokau in a 15ft glass boat?

We have about 5m of garaging in our first spot, I have to go messure it exactly thats just my 6ft2 gait telling me. Which means 4.5m boat. Unless I could drop the trailer and reverse the car half a metre or so over the trailer hitch and then I could up my boat size to 5m. I drive a H6 Sub Outback, so they have no diff to worry like a hilux as its all receased. Mokau is one of the bars Im most scared of trying, I dont know why haha. Ive seen videos lol. So Im reconsidering another RIB with jockey seat. But it could end in divorce as the Mrs wants some wind and spray protection this time. Ya feel me haha.

Hmmmmmm thats not that far but closer options up north.

As for snapper you fish quite close in dont you and basically strayline big baits?

How do the guys further south in New Plymouth do for snapper?

Are they present all year round?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:07am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

An anemometer isnt going to do jack on a 4m boat for you sorry. If you cant work out that the wind is picking up a bit then you shouldn't be out there.
Get the biggest vhf aerial you can and a good quality VHF. The rest of the safety equipment should be the best you can afford and once you have it all just pick the best weather days you can to go out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:56pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

An anemometer isnt going to do jack on a 4m boat for you sorry.

Sorry disagree. A place I fish is consistent with wind picking up and not dying off, daily. Its pretty much predictable enough to be fishable daily in the mornings. Ive used one successfully for 10 years and not had an issue. Its not a safetly factor, its a comfort factor. Was a tip from a local when I moved there and its proved worthy every day. You can see it on the weather graphs when its due to pick up but they are never accurate, so I know once it reaches 10knots its begun its climb. And 15ft is a bit different to a 13ft. Thanks for your opinion though. Its about the only place in the country i use it though. and being portable i just dont use it other times.

each to their own.
Page  <12