Light combo $400

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light combo $400
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:47pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm heading to the Boat Show this Friday and wanting to purchase a light combo suitable for small jigs and other light weight types of lure fishing. Budget is $400. I don't have a lot of experience with this type of gear, so I'm wanting recommendations.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:54am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

IMO you will never get a better bargain than buying off people here in the Buy/Sell/Exchange. $400 for some new kit might see you still wanting more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:20pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went to the Boat Show last year for my first time and the array of gear was daunting to say the least.
Great place for research (sorry to all the vendors) and saw lots of people struggling to carry unwieldy fishing rods around all day. I didn't buy anything, on purpose.
My research paid dividends and I have subsequently sourced some nice items off the forum members here as Clifftastic mentions.
I plan on being there Friday so it might be possible to meet up?
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:32am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll be there Thursday now Foxtrot.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:28am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out the Penn fathom 12 on a Penn Assassin Rod should be under $400  at Boat show  wheel & Deal a bargain.. it's a Overhead...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate, hope you had a good season of shallows snapper fishing in Tauranga. It's fun to go to a boat show with a shopping target in mind.

There are two very distinct lure set ups for snapper - one is for slow jigs such as kaburas, inchikus, and I think, fluttering flat fall type jigs. They are usually shortish, softer action overhead rods for reels including baitcasters.

The other is for soft baits and micro jigs.They tend to be longer, and used with spinning reels. Kaveman on the forum markets some rods for that type, and is very knowledgeable on micro jigging.

The above are generalisations. Some soft bait experts such as PJ prefer overhead set ups for various reasons. And I'm sure you can bottom bounce softbaits on a slow jig rod, it's just not ideal.

Depending on what kind of lures/jigs you are thinking of, that'll be what outfit to concentrate on. Someone like Uncle could give you some great advice on the best lure/jig gear to use off Matakana etc.

For what it's worth, my take on retail combos is to be careful. Often, retailers sell a great reel with a mediocre rod (sometimes by a name brand, but exclusive to their store), basically throwing in the rod for not much more than the full cost of the reel. They tend to have cheap guides and reel seats etc.
OR they pair a great rod with a cheapie reel to meet a certain price point, but that's less common.

If you go the spin way, I think it's hard to beat a Shimano Stradic FK in terms of bang for buck. I only buy Daiwa reels overseas given the ridiculous price differential we pay here for Daiwa versus say Australia. 
And I'd recommend a spin rod that is at least 7'6". 

At last year's On Water Boat Show I heard well known angler/writer manning the Top Catch display telling a customer one of the white Abu Garcia Veritas rods was the best soft baiting rod ever made. The pitch worked and hopefully the angler has been happy with his purchase ever since!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:29pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Agree with above. If using micro jigs(max 40g) it is definately better to use a longer rod, 7ft 6" at least, i use and sell 8ft 2" rods, they cast brilliant and can work the jig, something a short rod cannot do properly.
My rods are also great for softbaiting so a multi purpose rod. At $250 new, they are cheap compared to the major brands but all componetry is top class, Japanese toray carbon blank with nano composites and all fuji reelseats and fuji concept guides
Leaves you to buy a decent 2500-4000 size spin reel to match it.
Hope that helps
Kevin
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:31pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers TTK, I only done a little bit of yak and land based around Tauranga this season. I was doing some pre-season work on the hull and discovered how thin it had got in patches. Hull is getting scrapped. I have a new/old boat lined up in about a month.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:33pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Kaveman. I'll keep that in mind.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:10pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Notwithstanding Kaveman's kit, this is the kind of thing you might like to compare Boat Show deals with.
It's a wee bit above the $400 budget, but includes braid as well.
In case you're not familiar with the reel sizing, a 3000 in Daiwa is about the same as 4000 in Shimano.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:31pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

As has been said before, be very wary of cheap combo deals. Normally the reel is ok but rod is thrown in for next to nothing because they cant sell them and braid is often sub standard
I take the guess work out of buying gear as we thoroughly test anything before we sell to the public and because we cut out the middlemen, we are always cheaper for high end products
www.kavemantackle.co.nz