Northern rock platforms of Mangawhai Heads?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern rock platforms of Mangawhai Heads?
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:50pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone fished there recently? It looks pretty fishy.

Is there any road access?

Im basically talking about the rocks across the estuary, all the way north to the top.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I haven't been there for years Fizzer but everytime i went through there there were fullas fishing off the rocks.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So must be the road that follows the cliffs on Google maps, i thought it was a private road.

Might give it a crack of straying lining, I like one particular spot that has reef either side but a tasty clear section out front to draw the fish into, its hardly fair for fish these days and Im only using a map :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:09am
Grovo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All that stuff up to bream tail is walk in only chief. Private road what your looking at I'm afraid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:36pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks all the same. still wouldnt mind a paddle up there to check it out. especially if its a good spearing section.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:59pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a great public walking track which skirts or is even on the private land (thanks to their generosity). 
You access it by parking at the public car park by the surf club and walking along the beach (except at high tide). About 1km along the beach, you go up a very steep hill at the start of the track.
That takes you around to lots of bays north of the heads, and offers spectacular views.
Or you can just walk along the coast and then come back on the track.
It is fairly shallow country, with lots of gutters and foul. I guess tossing unweighted baits into likely looking wash would produce fish - in fact I've seen LBG's article in a fishing mag where he got a 5kg snapper in that area doing just that (after a storm).
I would say that surf casting with sinkers would be a recipe for lots of lost gear due to snags.
Visibility may be an issue for spear fishing, I imagine, due to the shallow water and swells stirring up the bottom?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:48am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks TTK. I thought so. Glad I asked. Ill let you know how I get on when I go. Im expecting local snaps (kelpies) at this time of year.

Will stick to 8foot straylining gear. Likely to use Salmon burley at the risk of bronzies simply as its the most effective, but might take one of salmon and one of tuna.

Will most likely do some bait catching in next few weeks, jack macs and piper. Will use whole and butterflied baits. Probably single hook, I like snells but off the rocks even with mustad demons adding another hook is one more bit to get caught in a crevice. 9/0s i exclusively use as Ive caught plenty of 15cm snaps on them so the more I can avoid the better. Hopefully will get some KYs too as they are nice and tough. I usually take a fillet off and use the whole KY, keeps the smaller snaps chewin it up making lots of racket for mr Bumpy head to come and stop the kids from eating all his food. I usually fish 60lb fluro which is more like 80-90lb mono leaders and 30lb mono. Ill go to 50lb and 80lb mono in some really gnarly areas. Its just a personal thing and not judging but Id rather not catch a fish than risk busting one off and leaving a hooke 30m of line in his gob. Hence why I never use braid off the rocks. Definitely surfcasting and quite light but unless its a shark im fairly confident on the sand of landing every fish :-).

Thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

No worries. It's a lovely part of the world, and looks very fishy. i've walked the track in both directions sight seeing, and also along the shoreline at a lowish tide.
I didn't see any ledges into deeper water, but at the right times of day I reckon the moochers will be in the shallower guts and wash areas.
I also saw a guy stick baiting in the harbour entrance - looked good, but no takers while I was there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:40pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is it a clearly signed track as in its definitely a public track?

How hard is it go get off say the track to a preferred platform?

Getting a bit excited mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Here you go, Fiz. You helped pay for it!

The 6 images on that page gallery include the track start at beach level.

You basically walk north along the main beach past the first cliff/rock area (only 500m from the surf club), and look up to the left just as you cross a little dribble of a creek which runs out of the hills. If you end up going around a rocky, pebbly headland area you've gone too far. 

That aerial viewpoint may help you choose a fishing spot. But there are only a few places down to the water again. 
If the spot you like on Google isn't far from the end of the main beach, I'd walk along the rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:18pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks TTK, brilliant. hopefully the track map shows where the access to the shore is and I can take it from there. nice fairly close to aucks spot ive not done.