Newby seeking advice on Quintrex 455 Escape 2001

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby seeking advice on Quintrex 455 Escape 2001
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:26pm
FishAddict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

My 1st time on a posting on a forum.

Was hoping anybody may have some advise/ experience on the boat mentioned above, which Im quite keen on buying.
Im totally new to boating, Ive done a fair amount of research, but not experienced in any way.

The boat add in question;

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:57pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

See if you can find out how thick the aliuminium is on the hull and sides .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:17pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for the quick reply.

Ive been looking through the web trying to find specs for the 2001 model and ones that are slightly older, but theres not much info. I know the latest ones are 3mm bottom.

Fyrans of similar length and age seem to be mostly 1.6 - 2mm and rivetted, with an ave weight around 140kg (hull only).

I think the weight of this quintrex is 325kg (hull only), so ive made the assumption that its a 3mm hull, and Im hoping its fully welded...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:30pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've heard good things about Quintrex boats and I like the high freeboard.  Good brand of outboard, newish looking but not so flash brand of trailer and auxillary but overall a good rig. See if he'll chuck in some GPS cray spots and make sure it all runs as it should but yes this is a good first boat .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exciting times, potentially purchasing your first boat. I was in that position last year.
I don't have any experience of Quintrex, but it's quite popular in Australia for estuary and inshore fishing.
Have you searched the forum threads for Quintrex? I know there were some strong opinions about the older ones, in terms of ride and hull sturdiness. 

From my perspective, a couple of the things on the listing are curious. One, the vague comment that "I have never used the auxiliary but it looks new"... makes me wonder how long they've had the boat, or what the circumstances of the sale are. 
Also, it may be an optical illusion, but there appears to be some damage on the bottom of the hull near the first rollers on the trailer, looks like it's been pulled up hard on some pebbles or rocks. I would inquire more about that.
I personally wouldn't want the seat at the stern if you intend to anchor and bait fish, as it would get right in the way of access to the bait board etc. Can it be removed easily?

Here's a video on YouTube of a guy who's a legend in Aussie top water fishing who takes a slightly bigger Quintrex (475) out to the Barrier reef to nail some big GTs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:33pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had the 5m cuddy version back in 2005. It was alot of boat for the money back then. 35k got a fully painted hull, canopy, clears, 100 ltr underfloor tank, nice upholstered seats, fishfinder gps and a 90 merc which pushed her along to 40 mph easily.
Alot of volume for a 5m boat thanks to beamy design, so nice and stable at rest... but fine entry ment it rode pretty good. Could fish 4 people easily.
I had to lift thefloor (ply) to fix the fuel sender once and was pretty shocked to see the state of the underfloor metalwork. Thin gauge alloy slotted over longitudinal stringers with the odd spot weld holding it together. Looked very weak.
From there over time the bottom of the hull was deformed inwards due to water pressure on the thin gauged bottom plates, which I think was 3mm corogated to provide strength and aid tracking by acting a bit like a strake.
Granted we went out in some snotty conditions with dive gear so there was alot of weight in the boat.... But we were not exactly punching over a west coast bar daily. Just Hauraki Gulf. At about 90 hrs I sold it.
I think for what they are intended for ie: waterways, lakes etc they are fine. 
Nz conditions are pretty full on some days, and I dont think smaller Quintrexs are built aswell as nz built boats. I have herd a few storys of owners dealing with cracked welds...and warrentys not being honoured. Have even seen statements online from ex-owners saying that they should not be sold in NZ
But... The boat on TM looks good. They nice inshore fishing rig. Just treat it carefully. They aint no AMF.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great input, Schampy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:24pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The difference between a 3mm hull and a 4mm is 33% and that 33% might be quite important as the boat ages, says he with 4mm hull 23 years on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you all for the input.

All this info is very valuable, and its got me thinking a bit.

Ive started thinking maybe I should sit tight for now rather and just research and pick people's brains rather.

Have anyone had any experience or know anyone with a Seaforce 430 Winna?

Would 3 people be able to fish of the back without being completely sardined together?
Or rather, would two people be able to stand up at the same time fishing, or one fishing and another assisting to net/ gaff a hooked kingy, while a 3rd sits on a seat supervising or watching rod tips?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:24pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Personally I think you'd be better off in the end getting something NZ made for NZ comditions. There are a few brands that have pretty good reputations - just go back through some of the threads on this site - there plenty of good comments on the well built NZ boats.
First impression of the Quintrex is a pretty well finished boat, but can't help thinking these are designed for calmer water, estuary and river fishing in Aussie, rather then some of the back breaking crappy NZ conditions you'll run up against in our seas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:25pm
Gold
Gold

Great boats Seaforce . You can squeeze 3 into a 430 Winna but better on the 5m . Go for the fibreglass Seaforce every day over the tinny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Here's something to inspire you - a 190kg marlin caught off Whitianga out of an FC465 Kiwi made tinny runabout. It's basically a 4.3m boat with a stern step. 

As recommended above, have a read of the threads in the boats section. Some you'll find talked about a lot are the Frewza F14, FC430, some of the smaller fibreglass boats including the classic Sea Nymph V14 gullwing etc.
There are whole threads about the best 5m pontoon style boat as well. And pontoons versus standard hulls. There are moulded plastic boats such as Mac as well, to compare with the others.

My final advice is to do a sea trial before you buy anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:50pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the comments.
Yes I think i'll go and window shop around a few boat yards for the time being, and I'll keep weighing up pros and cons of ali vs glass, and keep my eye on nz brands a bit..
Been doing alot of research, but might be good to see it in front of me.

Anybody have suggestions of any decent boat yards around Palmerston North general area?
I can see Fibre Form and City Marine via google, but doesnt look like they have websites. 
Im considering to maybe drive through to Taupo and Rotorua, looks like at least a couple of good yards up there... Trev terry and Telfer.
I also go down to Wellington every now and then, passing Boat city on the way,.. any other ones down that way worth having a look at.
Ideally i'd like a 4.3- 4.9m just because my garage is 5.8m long, which I think should fit the trailer + boat + motor....touch wood.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:18am
Gold
Gold

It's nearly always a good thing to get an ex fresh water boat so really worth checking out those central North Island yards
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:40am
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, I had a very detailed sketch of my garage with the measurements to the centimetre, including the main steel support pole etc. 

And took my tape measure to the boat yard and triple checked it would all fit - I've got a few cm to spare on either side of the trailer (split double garage entrance), and a bit in terms of length. That's with a 4.65m LOA boat, + motor, and single axle trailer. 

Don't forget height! A standard garage roller door ruled out anything except a detachable bimini top for me.
I had a mate at work who moved to a new place and didn't check the height of his hard top Extreme compared to the new house's separate external garage - now the boat sits outside.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:40am
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a Seaforce 430 Winna and it’s an awesome boat for its size. Good for 2 fishing and can fish 3 ok if the canopy is down. We also tow the kids around etc no problems getting in/out of the boat. Always thought I’d have tinnys but having this would stick to fibreglass. Would like to upgrade to the 530 Ute.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:34pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depends on the welds really. Nice looking quinny though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:03am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

I have a Seaforce 430 Winna and it’s an awesome boat for its size. Good for 2 fishing and can fish 3 ok if the canopy is down. We also tow the kids around etc no problems getting in/out of the boat. Always thought I’d have tinnys but having this would stick to fibreglass. Would like to upgrade to the 530 Ute.

DIY how do you find the Winna in short sharp chop?  The sort of thing that results from the wind blowing against a current?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:28am
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It bangs a bit because of the gull wing/flat bottom design but responds quite well to trim. Being a small boat it doesn’t have the weight to cut through it like a bigger boat. It is however really good at rest and never feels unstable. Performs well when towing the kids, can get some real tight turns. I’ve got a 40hp Mercury lightning (tohatsu) on it and she does about 28kts flat out and gets there fast. If I had a choice I’d probably go 50hp.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:45pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ive got a 2005 quintrex 395, best boat of that size ive owned... of that size ive had a ramco and a fyran/parkercraft.

I would buy another.. Looks like a great boat

Cheers

Wefaknis
Page  12>