Extreme boat 5m fisher.....

Topic Closed

Page  <1234 5>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Extreme are a nice boat, stylish and seem well made and well finished. I am more familiar with model between 5 and 6 mtr ones. Know one owner that has one.. might be 5.6 or 5.7 but bought lots of joy and regularly crosses a reasonably challenging bar.
5 meter boats however are 5 meter boats ... I know as I've run one for 17 years and regularly travel miles offshore in challenging seas. In these conditions 5 meter boats are not comfortable and will scare those unused to adventurous boating and can be uncomfortable for those consider themselves fit, experienced etc. Used in more mundane gulf conditions they can pleasure to use, easy to tow , more manoevrable, easier to launch, very effective fishing machines especially softbaiting and straylining and still blue water capable on nice days. If extreme is what you like in that size probably good option. But will never do what bigger vessel will do but then again less outlay more economical to run, easier to use and beach launch etc. Easier resale in smaller boats in known brands as well.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:49am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Yeah thats my concern hence why Im looking at it now well ahead of buying.

So the 4.5m Osprey could be worth looking at given the suggested price of the Extreme. I also have thought about a Jetski, which are also a lot of fun in summer. Ive got quality spearing gear so I should stay warm even in winter, although id prefer not to where the top half and where conventional layered clothing. There doesnt seem to be much they cant do and are easy on towing. But you lose the luxury of standing. Much to discuss with the Mrs as to what her preference would be. $15k gets you quite a bit of used Jetski. It doesnt get you much of a boat (comparatively).

Fiz, there is only one new boat within that budget and you will have enough leftover to purchase a Plotter/Sounder.  The Frewza F14.

My son has the F14 Fisher and it is a gem in choppy sea.
This hull will do everything your jet ski will do plus take the wife out cruising on a nice summer day. Set up for a spearo with rear step (you do not need a ladder) and splashwell to dump the fish in. And it will fit in your garage. Plus in the Wellington area, it will take you round the coast and out to Kapiti. And at this price you will not go broke paying it off.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:39pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No doubt last recommendation is a good one... I run an old older 490 stabi.. it will have similar handling to F14 handling and will I suspect do a lot in a small package notwithstanding my earlier comments. You can go deeper vee and conventional hull but 5 meters in pontoons seems in that size to offer more confidence in load carrying in bigger seas and buoyancy underway and more stability at rest and control at lower speeds. And sinking the nose/ bow much more unlikely in big following seas. Again it depends what looking for and how you will use it and prioritising above versus more room, top speed into head seas, looks of boat (some still think pontoons are ugly). Pontoon boats also quarter a sea better with pontoons popping you back onto plane allowing momentum to be maintained and less prone to broach. Just my observation but been in lots of boats this size.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:06pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The F14's internal beam is comparable to a medium size adult's shoe. They are cracking little boats, no doubt, but in terms of volume the 5m Extreme is going to be about twice the size. 
A ready-to-fish Extreme in that size is going to be in the $50k ballpark.

I recently spent a day fishing from a DNA535 Cuddy, very impressed by it, only shortcoming I found is that the anchor setup is very clearly designed around a drum winch rather than manual retrieval.
There are a heap of very, very good boats in that kinda 4.8->5.5m space.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im not a fan of small pontoon boats, for the reasons mentioned above, you get the same stability at rest from the same sized external beam if it has a down turn or gull wing.

Im not saying there isnt a place fro the f14, its just not mine :-). Id prob go a small osprey if I were to go pontoon if Im honest.

So I measured my space, flappn 4.5m boat is as big as I can go without stealing space.

Im thinking Haines hunter 445F or R, same hull as formula 15, or if I can find a VERY tidy v146 SN with a newer donk on it. Looking around $7k. Have found some suspects. Should the Bucaneer 440sport also be considered?

Also considered going back to jockey seat deep V hypalon pontoon boat, ultra smooth in the chop, but ya get wet no avoiding it. Im ok, but think Mrs wants a dry winter, fair enough.

Just big enough to get out to Hen and Chicks on nice days etc or the gulf on slightly choppy days, if its really blowing, I just dont go out.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:11am
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FizFisho after reading your post, looks like you need a Surtees workmate.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:34pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

FizFisho after reading your post, looks like you need a Surtees workmate.

yes have considered one. I have worked with the formula 15 glass boat before and they aren outstanding boat. i want to get the measurements for the 5m though, as if i leave the hitch on the ground not on its wheel i might be able to back up over the trailer the 0.5m i need, in which case 5M may still be possible.

although its hard to beat the haines hunter 445 ride quality and its reasonably stable at rest for a small glass boat. which would be similar to the workmate with a full ballast id think.

there arent a lot of used workmates around. if i was going to be retail and it was between extreme and surtees, extreme would win before the S in surtees had even entered my head.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:01am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

there arent a lot of used workmates around.

This seems to me to be a pretty good indication of owner satisfaction.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 4:51pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont get me wrong Muzz, surtees is great, but the 5m extreme is 5mm plate and 4mm sides. Fairly similar in design in most ways.

At the moment Im thinking something for the gulf etc, a 4.5m glass boat like i said.

i did want a big 8m centre console at end of year but i think it will turn into a cabin boat.

I love my RIBs, and a 4.5m RIB is a very sea worthy boat, Im thinking a 4.5m osprey would be even better. But I know once I go for next years boat it will likely end up 5-5.5m Osprey not an 8m glass twin engine.

I do like these extremes in build quality though, them and osprey stand out to me.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 4:57pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I only need a gulf boat right now, that on good days will take me to the hen and chicks (12km) a boat that gets me 3km offshore and back when it turns slightly rough. and on really good days i might go wide.

so for me the 15ft glass boats are a good buy, haines 445r or buccanneer 450 sport etc. or i get another rib. something around $8-10k.

the problem with most RIBs and pontoons is, you have no space inside the boats at 4.5m. although the new stabi 1550 matt watson has decked out is better than the old 1410. now he goes off shore in a 15ft boat.

generally speaking, right now, im happy getting 3km off shore before it blows up and can scamper home. on really nice days with shoulders of good weather, out 12km. i think a 15ft glass boat can handle that.

i think to go wide in long run i am thinking a slightly bigger Osprey, ie a Hard Top 5.5-6m.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Fiz, I doubt you will get a boat equipped well enough to get to the H&S's for 8k. It's a cruel world but that's how it goes
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:15pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

FizyFish, go and do a boatmaster course now before you get a boat.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:01pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Going wide my last trip out West did 125km went to the 100 m mark then to reef 23 and eventually back to Raglan. Used 63lt for the day. When the Snappa fishing good Nov -Jan  I regularly go to 55 meters about 20km out , Ive clocked up 50hr since August last year. My Surtees is 4mm Plate bottom and 3 mill sides.  Have never felt unsafe in it even when I had water coming up the windscreen crossing the Waihi bar.
 Its more about being prepared and having the confidence and experience of what you can and cant do. And a back up Plan if conditions change. Weather in the harbour or out wide always have a plan B
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:59pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

This bloke has had 25' boats, 50' boats, 6m boats, 8m ribs, 4,5m boats and now he's asking about a 5m boat capability to go 3km off shore ........ agree, time to go and do a boatmaster course
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im not a fan of small pontoon boats, for the reasons mentioned above, you get the same stability at rest from the same sized external beam if it has a down turn or gull wing. 

How can ppl be a 'fan of' when they say that they have only experience in 28/50ft boats off australia?
 OK fan of.. yep get it.. you can be a fan of a band but not seen them in concert right.. but certainly NOT qualified to comment of give a review of a concert if never been to one right?

I recon, and know when I ask a question here or else where.. ?I want real life hands on experianced instruction, thoughts.. not thought gathered by a google serach, of which many are of debatable credibility.
I can do my own google search 'research ' and decide on my own, which reviews, opions happen to be creditable.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:25am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What a contradiction steps, so you can google and make your opinion up, but no one else can.
I’m not a fan of Justin Bieber and don’t need to go to his concert to know it would be terrible...
My opinion just like yours is just an opinion, not a fact...
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:22pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

I appreciate the concern. I think that should be compulsory on everyones first boat and be a certificate required to be carried with you, similar to a license like Aus, but with more practicial.

I have my NSW boat license, Ive been captaining my own rigs for 40 odd years. My uncles were commercial boat captains, including commercial fishing boats,  and passed that experience, and fishing experience on to me. This is not my first Rodeo :-)

As 7-8k that was for a haines 445r which is copied off the formula 15 which is something aussies consider the bees knees is small glass boats. but personally i rate the bucaneer 450 as good.

i looked at the smaller Extreme, the 460 sports fisher model, $21k used.

What I like is its deadrise, what i dont like is its deadrise. from what ive read its quite a small flooding keel, with a 1.86m beam and 18.5 deadrise it needs more weight. Now I then compared this to a Surtees 4.7m which is only 15 degrees but a generous 2m beam (beam is usually = stability especially with a gull wing shape or heavy glass boat), and I believe it has a generous flooding keel, which leads me to believe it would be a lot more stable at rest.

I think Extreme got the 5m right, but the prior 460 might be a bit tippy at rest for me where the Surtees 4.7 might have more stability with less deadrise, bigger beam and flooding keel.

So ive had a look, for a nice one Im looking at about $19k.

2008 with 50hp 4smoke Yammy (I am a yamaha man too, so happy about that). The 4.7 would be ideal for my current parking restrictions. Ill ask the Surtees guys on their thoughts on this particular model too.

My other option is to just go for size in something like a Ramco and just repaint my complexes carparking lines lol (no id have to get total length on trailer and see if im really pushing it, ie getting a bodycorp complaint).

Something like this Ramco 550 Dominator with 90hp donk, 2006 model, around $19-20k. Im sure I can find a model better to my taste. I also dont know the beam on these Ramcos or the hull ally gauge, or sides. I also dont like the very agricultural hull shape, no chines or gull wing like I expect in good Ally boats (like with pontoon boats how the pontoons act like a gull wing to aid with stability).

TradeMe link

My other option is to buy another RIB. I had no qualms taking my 4.5m Naiad to Little Barrier etc, I always new Id get home no matter the pace. Like ally pontoon boats, you just feel safer for some reason. But I also have that feeling with the flooding keel boats. But I like to see positive buoyancy when capsised proven not taken for granted.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:27pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cannot be bothered responding to trolls
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:32pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Going wide my last trip out West did 125km went to the 100 m mark then to reef 23 and eventually back to Raglan. Used 63lt for the day. When the Snappa fishing good Nov -Jan  I regularly go to 55 meters about 20km out , Ive clocked up 50hr since August last year. My Surtees is 4mm Plate bottom and 3 mill sides.  Have never felt unsafe in it even when I had water coming up the windscreen crossing the Waihi bar.
 Its more about being prepared and having the confidence and experience of what you can and cant do. And a back up Plan if conditions change. Weather in the harbour or out wide always have a plan B

Do you own a Surtees yourself Muzz? Is that a 5.5?

I ended up comparing the sub 460 Extreme and Surtees and I like the 4.7m surtees more. Where as I like the 500 extreme a lot but the smaller boat will be easier on garaging, plus it gives me options to buy used and not lose shed loads on a new boat.

How did you go on that last ride out west, Puka the main target?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:48pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Fiz, I doubt you will get....

yeah that was my original harbour/gulf boat budget. plenty for a good solid 15ft glass boat. i just dont think im going to get an out west boat in my garage. id be competent in a 5m pontoon boat most places. The manukau on good days. But anything else I might leave that up to the boat next year when we move north. 

Like an Osprey 6m HT. I really love the finish of their welds, like extreme, also the pontoons are perfect height and they have a really sharp deadrise. Giving the best of all worlds, a glass like ride with the 20 degree deadrise, and the stability of a wide beam and pontoons that act like a gull wing and the metal skirt on all of their boats that means no dents. But they arent the cheapest ally pontoon around. I think this could be a long term boat though, so will take my time on that one.

In the mean time I think this surtees 4.7 could be good for what i need and can garage for the next year or so. id buy another naiad but the Mrs wants to be a little more sheltered. Otherwise Id consider another RIB with Jockey console.
Page  <1234 5>