Drift speed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drift speed
    Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would be interested to see what is the ideal drift speed people like when softbaiting. For me it’s the slower the better, not stopped but around .5 km. Then I can use lighter jig heads and have more time in the strike zone. Heavier jig heads just hit the bottom to quick instead of letting the bait drift down.

I’ve had many good sessions wrecked by the wind. I fish from a 6mtr tinny and have used some big funnel type sea anchors up to 2.0 mtr diameter but I find the funnel ones are pretty everage, so I Just brought a 7 foot ocean angler handbrake so I see how that gos. Is anyone using one of these and how are guys finding them. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:59pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fish from a 6.2m center console and i like around the .4-.6 range so you can cover the ground and use 1/2oz heads and lighter, i use the OA handbrake and it made a huge difference to the drift, i hang it off the stern corners once i get the drift right as i have a casting platform up front. I didn't put on the retrieval line the first time which was a mistake. I gave away my two drouges which i thought were good for soft baiting.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think most people find that they need at least one size up from recommended. True for everything from kayaks to big trailer boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:08am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not a concern for me on the kayak. It really depends on the spot and how you are fishing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:29am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

I fish from a 6.2m center console and i like around the .4-.6 range so you can cover the ground and use 1/2oz heads and lighter, i use the OA handbrake and it made a huge difference to the drift, i hang it off the stern corners once i get the drift right as i have a casting platform up front. I didn't put on the retrieval line the first time which was a mistake. I gave away my two drouges which i thought were good for soft baiting.

Thanks mate, what size handbrake do you use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:04am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I use two big Tagit drogues off the stern, if too windy for those or otherwise - I use the engine idle in reverse to hold position. Or use metal jigs instead of lightweight jigheads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I use two big Tagit drogues off the stern, if too windy for those or otherwise - I use the engine idle in reverse to hold position. Or use metal jigs instead of lightweight jigheads.

Yep good idea about using the motor and I did try 2 drogues, took up a bit of room out the back of the boat. Hopefully the OA handbrake will be better. 7 foot / 2.1 mtr in diameter, my last funnel type was 1.8 and wasn’t quite there. Thinking the parachute type might have a bit more stopping power. Their next size is 12 foot / 3.6 metres. Now that’s getting big.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

The OA I got was great from the start but adding a bungee to it made the performance even better.
Stops the handbrake collapsing.Big smile  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 3:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

The OA I got was great from the start but adding a bungee to it made the performance even better.
Stops the handbrake collapsing.Big smile  

Thanks for that I’ll rig one up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:23pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got the biggest one they make.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got the same as you 7ft, I will do what uncle said and put in a bungy cord to take the surge out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

I got the same as you 7ft, I will do what uncle said and put in a bungy cord to take the surge out

What size boat mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:09pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup, as everyone says, a length of thick bungee to act as a damper is well,worth it.

I miss my old Stabi 1750.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:38pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Yup, as everyone says, a length of thick bungee to act as a damper is well,worth it.

I miss my old Stabi 1750.......

Yep on the list
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:04am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys - how do you add the bungy do your drogues?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't like stationary.  .5-1.5 is good. And being able to get line to bottom. Which usually means wind with tide. Anything more than 15kts is not that ideal for my boat. Drifts too much. Sea anchor helps. 
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Ecko Ecko wrote:

Tie 2 knots in the mainline just short of the maximum stretch of the bungy and insert the hooks into the knots so just before the bungy breaks the line comes tight. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Originally posted by Ecko Ecko wrote:

Tie 2 knots in the mainline just short of the maximum stretch of the bungy and insert the hooks into the knots so just before the bungy breaks the line comes tight. 

Or if the drogue is rigged with cheap polyethylene rope replace it with some 8mm nylon - stronger, sinks, more stretch.
treat fish like fish