Etec 60hp

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Etec 60hp
    Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:52pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So......just invested my hard-earned moolah in one of these. Any handy hints and tips as to how to get the best out of it? Hardly done any work....60 hours on the clock and will be on the back of a 4.9m tinny.

I'm aware of stories about fried computers etc., but these seem to relate to 115hp and upwards. I appreciate the specific oil for these is pricey but hey, it will be way more reliable than what I had before as i'm over being towed home!!  :(   and a considerable saving in fuel as well.

All thoughts, opinions and general musings would be much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use the Etec oil.. buy by the 20L  and considering the lehgth time it will take for you to use, share cost with someone else.
 I will be looking at another 20L X50 soon.

Flush well.. drum flush far preferable.. that sorts the computer issue.. which I believe is due to a salt build up in the pipes that cool the computer..

Savings in fuel.. thats about being well powered for end use/  cruise rpms and good propping for the general use of the boat at full gross weight on the water.

Mist spray under cowl with aerosol  lanolin or similar product.  Not CRC type 
 Store engine in upright position, and if in weather , get or make a cover that goes over the air vents.
 Regular grease of the steering, cable ends, prop splines, and grease nipples with Etec blue triple gaurd
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:01am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've googled these. A lot. EMM failures can happen on any brand outboard and will leave you dead in the water. Most common causes of EMM failures are voltage spikes, heating issues, faulty parts/sensors stressing the EMM. 

• Check that WOT RPM are within specs. No motor will tolerate lugging long term.
  • Ensure that the battery is connected with a clean tight connection. No wingnuts, use nylock nuts or lock washers with regular nuts. 
  • The above goes for all boat wiring. Clean/replace any corroded connectors and ensure that the battery is big enough and in good condition. A battery in good order can absorb any voltage transients before they do damage.
  • Do not connect/disconnect an AC charger, or any jumpstarter cables with the engine connected to the circuit. This can cause issues.  
  • Get a quality fuel water seperator installed and check it regularly. Many injector issues can be traced directly to water in the fuel sitting inside the motor and rusting it out. I'm sure many people have blown up motors and blamed BRP when the fault lies closer to home.
  • When you fill up the oil tank no need to fill it to the top. About 2/3 fill will allow space for expansion etc. Some older tanks developed pinhole leaks. 
  • Flush the motor with the engine running and allow time for the thermostat to open. You want to get water to all parts, especially the EMM. 
  • The XD100 is probably worth it over the XD50. 
  • You could consider adding a small amount of oil into the tote. This is a bit controversial but here goes: Early E-tecs had oil injection into the fuel just prior to the lift pump. This was discontinued in 2008 possibly due to the EPA. A 200:1 mix may add extra protection to those components. Some well dealers did this and noticed that they needed to replace fewer pumps.
  • Make sure you have a competent guy working on your engine.
  • The etec owners forum is a mine of information. Post your model and serial there and they will be able to find if there has been any work done on your engine and what.
  • All e-tecs can be pull started. Might be worth learning how.
Depending where you go fishing I  would consider having a small auxillary on the boat for emergency use. This goes for any modern outboard. They work brilliantly, until they don't.

Disclaimer: All of the above is Internet only. I do not own an e-tec but am considering one for my next boat as in the smaller sizes they pull like nothing else. So having some spare time I have done a lot of reading. This is what I found.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:26pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Checkout the ETEC Owners Group Forum, run or sponsored by Barnacle Bills in the US. 

I had a 115 and eventually had an ETEC tech from the dealer admit that was the only model they wouldn't put on their own boat. 

The only issues you have with the 60 is the EMM and fuel injectors. The advise here about the EMM is spot on, avoid voltage spikes, lose connections, and keep those cooling tubes clean. Always wash asap after use.

The key for fuel injector life, is to protect against water in the fuel, so make sure you fit a water separating filter. 

WRT XD100 oil, a number of dealers buy by the 200 litre drum, they will sell it to fill your own container for between 16 and 18/litre, versus 20+/litre when you buy it by the 4 litre jerrycan.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:35pm
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why would you?, history of unreliability ,buy a 2s Yammy ,bullit proof. Most people don't do enough hours for the fuel consumption to be an issue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:13pm
Platinum
Platinum

Not knocking the old carb two strokes at all but if you look at the newer Yamaha’s they have had their share of issues as well. The guy asked for advice about Etecs not what else he could have bought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:30pm
Silver
Silver

Hard earned Moolah on the back of a 4.9 tinny, just my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

Fair enough a few people I respect would agree with you especially for offshore. Personally I wouldn’t consider a carbed two in any size over 4hp unless I had a very good reason. I don’t like the smell or the mess they make in our lakes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:09pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks folks......all valuable advice and much appreciated. In an ideal world, I would pop a Yamaha F60 on the back BUT at the moment the extra $5000 plus $800 fitting just isn't there - sad but true!! And yes Sea Reason, I realise my efforts won't save the planet so any less emissions must be an improvement but I can see your thinking too. I don't venture too far out as yet (only had a boat for a couple of years) and doing a Day Skipper course this winter. A lot of harbour fishing plus BOP/BOI or Coro mussel farms so still feeling my way, so to speak!! Not up to a West Coast bar crossing as yet but potentially soon?!?!

That said, I have done some "due diligence" and agree with all the keys points. As to oil, I may have got confused but don't I have to get EMM reprogrammed if switching between XD50 and XD100? Also, which fuel grade is best.....again, I read somewhere that the EMM needs recalibrating if changing fuel grades?? On reflection I may be reading too much into this ........"Too much information can be a dangerous thing" ....... LOL

Good work One Way Traffic - I'll sling the details on the forum and see what eventuates :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:43pm
Silver
Silver

Join Coastguard and get out there, I am about to be a gold card holder ,but have fished all my life, through all the ups and downs that life brings, long time friends made.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:58pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can buy a bulletproof Tohatsu 50hp brand new with 3 year warranty for under 8k. The 50hp Tohatsu even outperforms a 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Worth a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure about fuel type except non ethanol a must if you can.

XD50 can only be used if the motor is set to use it. The higher quality oil can be used on any setting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Just curious: what did you have on it before and how did it let you down?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:23pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a fibreglass runabout with an elderly Johnson - twice this year it didn't start so had to go.......just not prepared to continue when I'd lost confidence in it. Got what I paid for it so now I have a tinny with a ETEC that's only done 60 hours - a step forward I hope!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

From what I can tell, the vast majority of owners get a good run from them. Most problems are preventable with good care. 

Best motor review I've ever read (streets from the usual magazine fluff.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:12am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have had two 115hp etecs that have done over 3000 hrs each, i have had twin 75hp that did over 500 hrs and had no problems, we did all our own servicing and ran the XD100 oil, lot of people will never do these hours on any outboards in there boating life, There will be people saying you got the good ones, blah its how you treat them.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:12am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

From what I can tell, the vast majority of owners get a good run from them. Most problems are preventable with good care. 

Best motor review I've ever read (streets from the usual magazine fluff.)
Thanks for posting - very interesting reading, was very interested to read about salt water and debris in fuel tank which caused problems for a repower with ETec - sounds like the old Johnson wasn't bothered by it and should have been cleaned out anyway as article points out.
My only objection is running costs based on 3 year service interval on Etec - my understanding is with salt water use should be yearly - even Evinrude say this?  I don't think reviewer was using in a freshwater lake either?
Personally hasn't swayed me for or against but it does seem (and true of any motor) that care needs to be taken both at install and using - maybe more so that a 4 stroke?
Seems like a lot of problems were caused by new tech (lessons to be learned) and poor installation. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:21am
Platinum
Platinum

If I owned one, I would remove and grease the prop yearly, remove and grease all bolts one at a time, check/replace the gear oil yearly, check/change the fuel filter yearly and so on. Four strokes need all that and oil, values, cambelt when they fall due and so on. The lower cost of servicing kicks in if you can do the basics by yourself (true of any 2stroke.)
BRP are a well respected and successful company that make good motors found on snow mobiles, planes, and watercraft. I would buy and e-tec and use it, though I would also be happy with a four stroke.  A search of threads on here, and other forums gives 90%+ happy users.  One proviso is that I would still put that auxillary on, unless your fishing is all Hauraki gulf.

Keep us up to date about how it goes for you Bricker.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The XD100 is probably worth it over the XD50.

Do not use the x100
 The x50 is semi synthetic 50:1  mix on carbed injected oil engines and early injected fich engines
The x100 is synthetic 100:1 on later model, injected fuel engine where the ECU can be programed to change the mixer to suit. Us this oil on a 50:1 mix engine and will cost you a fortune.. and not recommended for carbed engines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:55am
Platinum
Platinum

Steps this is an E-tec 60hp. If using XD-100 and if the engine is set up for it then it should be a wash cost wise? Less oil burned=less smell and less carbon residue as well. At least that is my understanding.

On a motor not programmed for it then I'd agree.

Page  123>