Big Westcoast Snaps! Mokau.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Westcoast Snaps! Mokau.....
    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:46pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, have two fantastic Snapper sessions to report on. Iv'e posted up photo's first as i couldn't seem to post them after writing last night. The top three photo's relate to first trip. A relation of good friends i have down here from Taumaranui, Dave Mould had read a bit about me and is a great mate of Forum Member- Uncle. Asked me if i could come out in his 4.5 metre Kiwicraft to put him on a big Snap! No Worries. Amazing Sea and weather we went to my top spot, for two hours of zilch. Not even a Kahawai on SabikiCry. I made the decision to go in closer. Ten minutes into it Snaps arrived and never left! Dave's a Softbaiter, he was catching alot while the big baits on the Straylines lay dorment. Most of Daves at first were big pannies we released but then his little gear went on a crazy RunBig smile I  got everything else up so he could play the fish properly. After five or so minutes we gaffed a beauty 6-7 kg Snap. And a PBThumbs Up More 3-4 kg models were softbaited in before finally i got a screamer of a run on a Strayline baited with a big yellowtail Mackerall. Took a while to get to boat, but i said to dave its going back. A quick few Photo's and it stormed off back down. Was a 20 lb fish. That was our day had to get back over bar. Second Trip was with Aaron in his boat. We caught the fish in close also. I caught the big fish this time where Aaron got them last tripThumbs UpWas slow going at first but fantastic ending. One 9.8 kg fish and one just a bit smaller. I weighed them in for our Mokau Summer Comp. Shortly after that we had to head in as cut off time for going back in was near. A few beers during cleanup and preparing the Snaps for smoking went down well... Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:02pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More nice fish there. You certainly seem to have that area well sorted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, as always, Geoff.
I admire the way you share your knowledge with others, given you appear to have basically self-discovered that fantastic Mokau fishery and learned its secrets. Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:54pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

What more can I say Beer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Softbaits eh I was told they don't work down there. LOL Good stuff as always Geoff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Great report, as always, Geoff.
I admire the way you share your knowledge with others, given you appear to have basically self-discovered that fantastic Mokau fishery and learned its secrets. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words TTK Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Softbaits eh I was told they don't work down there. LOL Good stuff as always Geoff.
Yep was an eye opener for me Muppet, finally got to see them in action. First time in all my years fishing! We had clear blue water, ImpressedWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:20pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work mate. Making the most of the great fishery you have at your doorstep.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:38pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done to David.
I think that's only the 5th time he's been softbaiting,wow!
Good guiding on your part Geoff
Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 6:52am
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

[QUOTE=Muppet]Softbaits eh I was told they don't work down there. LOL Good stuff as always Geoff.
Yep was an eye opener for me Muppet, finally got to see them in action. First time in all my years fishing! We had clear blue water, ImpressedWink[/QUOTE

Clear blue water and close to a bit of structure makes for awesome softbaiting out west.
Nice report Geoff
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.