Fuel/water separater

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel/water separater
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:10pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've currently got a small inline fuel filter on my 9.8hp 2 stroke.

I figured it'd be a good idea to install a fuel/water separator but want to know can I remove the inline filter?

I've got a problem with fuel intake at the moment in that fuel will only flow if the inline filter is raised above the pump. Ideally I'd like to do away with it and have a separator installed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:08pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Keep the inline filter and connect it after the fuel/water seperator get fuel /water seperator of at least 28 microns.something seems to be wrong with your fuel line ,at all times the fuel filter should be full once you have primed it .fuel should not be gravity fed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont water separator filters also filter?
 Mine does..
I still have the engine filter  on the power head, but only have the water separator/ filter before the bulb pump.

Being only a 9 hp the flow will be very slow compared to say a 150hp V6  and the overall fuel usage over say  a yr will only be about 1 day out of the 150 hp.
 I dont see any requirement to have possibly a 3rd filter in the system... if anything having to pass thru more filters would load the fuel pump a little. This Could have the potential to limit fuel to the carb/ metering systems under loads.. leaning out.. not good.

Side note.. mount or have the priming bulb pump hanging vertical.. pump upwards. If dont you will find after standing , say fishing, go to fire up the fuel has drained back. If not vertical the little ball bearing in the non return valves fall out of the valve opening it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:00pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some water seperators have a filter, others dont.
I installed one without a filter, where i can see it.
I have had one with a filter as well, never had a problem with a diaphragm pump drawing fuel. Most will literally suck a plastic tank shut, so if you are experiencing problems, i would be having a good look at the oump and connections in the fuel system.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:30pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So sorry I didn't reply I was waiting for an email to say someone had replied but didn't get any :(

Will put a water separator in as described. Will try get one without a filter but not too worried.

99% sure the pump diaphragm is stuffed just trying to sort out parts will start a new thread