First boat

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First boat
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:01pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So i just bought my first boat (Fi-glass scamp). Visualy the boat looks mint recently re painted. Walked around it walked in it, hull looks mint no soft spots on floor. Muffs on fired up beauty sounds mint water coming through. Paid the money shock hands and parted ways. Took it out on the water and was perfect. Back on the trailer and removed bungs. No water out of the boat but quite a bit out of the chamber or lower bung?? Bungs are metal and rather lose until tight against rubbers which are a little frayed, also the transponder thingie for depth sounder is screwed in with what looks like a wood screw with no sealent and is rather lose in the hole. Now i was on the water fir 5hours or so, is it likely that the water is from this screw hole and the bung or both or could it be something more sinister.

Tia first time boatie first time poster
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:03pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This is her
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:48pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try using some baby power inside next time. It you puff it every where it shows you where the damp is. First guess is the bung, hopefully.

How much water? Put a bucket underneath, sometimes it seems like a lot but isn't. Also when on the trailer, lift jockey wheel high up and see if water comes out with bung in. Tip a 10 big buckets of water inside her and watch

Take some pictures of the transducer and those screws even better a short video and post up.

Also take a picture of the bilge, at the back inside the hull at the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:54pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If i was to guess i would say 10litres easy. Could be wrong as it is a little hole but it was pouring out the whole time i was rinsing the boat and some. Top side of boat dry as a bone no water at all comes out of the top bung and my bilge pump works fine. A friend recommended i swap bungs for plastic 1s as they tighten better. Try it i suppose
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:15pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Take some pictures of the bung area and the transducer screws.
Sounds like you need to fix transducer screws anyway. Process is remove screws, dry holes if wet, check if any rot, once area dry get slightly bigger screws that tighten, put marine under water sealant in threat and around head ( use either sika 291 or 3m 5100, both Are for glass and underwater rated). Use screws with big head so you get heaps of purchase. Tighten and make sure you see the squeeze of the sealant come out around head of screw and treat /hull entry.

It could be leaking in via the screw holes. By replacing screws you will see if it's wet in holes. But also change that small bung out, but buy a second one and put the spare in the boat if you forget it at home so you always have a spare.
If you have a good reading from your fish finder make sure you replace in same height and angle the transducer( take before pictures)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:55pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool thanks i will take some pics tomorrow and post them up 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:57pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hoping there's no rot as i belive Fi-glass hulls have fiberglass stringers but trying to find out if the scamp does or doesn't
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fix / seal / re mount transducer before going out again.
with sika marine sealant
 Even a couple inches under the water at rest has a surprisingly amount of pressure to force water into transom.
 Check bungs have O rings to seal.. missing O rings most common reason for leaking. They need to be done up firm.. not tight.

There should be nil water in the bulges after a day, even 2 days out on the water.

Issue could be with resent rain, if bow down on the trailer has a lot water in... espec if bungs where in.

We dropped the sons boat in on the weekend, as he backed it/ slide off the trailer he could hear the water up in the bulges. Once the boat started moving it drained back into the rear bilge, must have been a good wheel borrow full.

If O rings all good, wqas stored bow high on the trailer , bungs out. You can fill the bulges with water on the trailer... just bulge height, dont over do it as the weight can effect the structure. Then leave and look around the hull, in particular the screws that hold the keel strip on,  after a  few hrs or over next couple days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:41am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also check that you don't have a top down leak - from deck to bilge.  My fi-glass Regent used to slowly leak water from the deck into the bilge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:03am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When I got my boat I had the same issue and it was due to leaky bungs. I used the bucket of water trick to determine exactly where the leak was. 
I replaced the bungs and their fittings, which were quite cheap from Burnsco, with plenty of sealant and also added a second rubber-band seal to each bung for added protection. Haven't had any issues since, and I'm finally able to go boating without compulsively checkingunder the floorboards for water every half-hour!

Be sure to use stainless screws and replace that dodgy transducer screw as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:19pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So the holes from old transducer were all the way through to the flotation compartment have sealed them and pit thread tape on bungs. Sealant looks suspect around trim tabs so will pull everything off transom below foor line and reseal everything with sikka marine and if that stops water ill be happy. Some dry rot on the top ply of forward compartments put pretty sure its from years of moisture. Am a first boat owner so am sending to local boat repair/service shop for a professional inspection. So hope i didnt biy a lemon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:20pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:28pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi,

To fix that hole is an easy job and one of the correct ways is to

1) clean the hole so surface is clean, give it a blow as well.
2) if you can tape the inside of the home over
3) make up an expory filler with the filler mix added. Suck it up into a small shringe.
4) get s piece of tape half over the hole
5) inject the filling in the hole filling it from the back to the front. When it's fill quickly put the tape fully over the hole.
6) wait for a day for it to dry.
7) should be good to go. If you want a perfect job slightly sand and paint with white gel coat

On the bung, get a new plastic one with rubber oring. You need this as the tape will need changing frequently

Ps the biat looks in good shap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:31pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The rot is on the ply directly under the swab which i find strange. Fibreglass clean n dry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:32pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:32pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can we not post videos?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:33pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Love this site so many helpfull experienced boaties. Thanks all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:34pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If that hole goes all the the way through then that will be where the water is going.

Is that where the water way coming out of? If so should be able fix easy. It might be worth that inspection to make sure the internal ply under floor is good.

If you wanted to add some sika to the trim tabs screws do them one at a time and it will be sweat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:43pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Take a picture as well standing a bit furthe back to give the whole transom to double check it's also nothing else.
Page  12>