First boat

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:53pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To check internal ply would mean cutting deck floor? As its all fibreglass? Lol was hoping to at least enjoy rest of warm weather before anything like that at least lol had boat since saturday 😂. But will be taking my kids out fir picnics on matakana island etc so saftey first
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:01pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The epoxy trick above just works. If you want to be 100% sure the ply isn’t getting wet that’s the way to go. Drill hole to 10mm then fill and screw in once set. As a bonus you get double pullout strength as well. New o rings on bungs make a big difference as well. Another option is the expansion bungs Burnsco sell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:06pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well i do need to refix transducer. So will get boat shop guys to do for me not sure if tbey will use same holes or not so will leave for them have also asked the to replace bungs for plastic ones n new o rings and instructed them to remove teim tabs re seal and put back on. If all this fails to stop the water im stumped. Not so much as even a spider crack on the hull. And worst case scenario sell it buy a new surf board or a jet ski �£
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:46pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah, you're being pretty thorough so I'm sure you'll get it fixed. There's always a few little speed bumps when starting out boating, but it's all part of the experience. Boat looks well looked after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:02pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK Im posting this as others will refer to this a at a later date.
Im just going to call as I see it , from the start...maybe a little blunt.. if so apologies.
 1st boat ...
I will never purchase a boat, espec 'glass that has been recently painted, or painted.. espec the hull.
Fresh paint usually means a few old war wounds are covered.. and with 'glass it is very easy to patch(not fix)A bit high build undercoat . block down and will never see a sign.
A good paint job, is a lot labour, and a good $1200 plus in just materials. Considering the sale price of many older boats.. ones that have solid hulls etc.. with a few war wounds well repaired... is it worth the effort and/ or cost to paint and sell?

I will never look at a prospective purchase without have a experienced person go over it.
The little things, eg how engine mounted, corect alloy bolts, correct sealers and O rings used (not a rubber band!), stainless jubilee clips, stainles bolts nut not use where they should not be,  tapping hull for soft spots, and watching for the fresh paint to chip or flake due to bad paint, prep, skills and or wrong type paint. how accessories, mounted, knowing how the steering should feel, signs of a competent well service, anchor warp length/ condition....long list
 Has the trailer bearings, hitch, rust etc all been checked.. And NOT by just looking for a current WoF.. jack wheels up do your own WoF plus check. Plus stuff like .. do the wheel nuts undo as they should...
I would never purchase with out a sea trial.
 A must, engine reach full power, speed, prop performance, hull flex, is the layout/ space suitable, does everything work well.. Throttle , gear change cables set up, does the shaft to the gear box move smoothly, how does the trailer tow on the way to the ramp.  etc...

A boat in many ways is like buying a older car... you have to know what you are looking for.. in front of you and signs underneath the 'skin'
 The big difference is one you are on land, easy to walk away, or get help .
 On water... cant walk, its a swim.

Now this is NOT TO SAY this boat is a lemon at all.. it just has not been checked out well before purchase, issues listed, in 4 lists. 
Stuff thats maintenance, easy fixable, and not high cost...wheel bearings wheel nuts, sealants etc
 Stuff that is possibly expensive, beyond the handy man, expensive parts
 Stuff that is actually structural, but easy repaired / fixed
Stuff that makes the purchase uneconomic to bring scratch.

Pics are all well and good.. in reality dont show a lot, and even less on painted boat.

It really needs a good going over...from top to bottom.
 lists made.
 Far better than simply finding stuff as you go.. or at least having the very min of stuff pop up a month or yr or so down the line.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great post! Not blunt i prob should have asked doe help with someone from the know. Other than the re paint re gel the rest ofthe boat looks to have been well looked after as though it was someones pride. Nice bits of trim work proper electrical job done so will remain hopeful until i get it back from the boat man. If it is damgaged to the point of possibly needing some new stringers what cost am i looking at? Would $2,000 be a ball park figure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:59pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My profession is pre purchase Fibreglass Hull inspections..............
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Roddaz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm
Roddaz80 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So just a follow up.
The transducer was removed to find that the holes went all the way through the transom and the screws were smaller than the holes so you could wiggle the transducer. All re attached and correct sealants used. Been on the water twice since and not a drop of water came out afterwards. Still amazing how much water can be forced into that little 3.5mm hole. Feel alot better knowing no water is getting in the boat
Page  <12