Panga Boats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panga Boats
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:43pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All those negative comments, if you read it carefully, are actually directed at other boat designs. A badly formed rave really - have to look at it a few times to sift out the positive attributes which are there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:04pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pangas are the boat of choice in poorer warmer climes. The reasons are ease of use, low power requirements (30hp will push that 5.4m boat), extreme seaworthyness for the size, ability to be driven at any speed up to moderate planing and high load capacities. 

All of that is true as far as I know. There is a heap of info about them. 

Not so popular in cooler climes. Slow and wet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:41pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Crack up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:33pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pangas/longboats are popular in areas where hp is a limited commodity. 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:05pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If I had to buy rather than make a fiberglass boat that would be my hull style of choice. Pros bigger than cons imo. If I wanted to drop $100s per fishing trip I’d go on a charter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:24am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had the opportunity to fish a panga many years back in Baja Mexico "Sea of Cortez" and have to say it was one of the safest boats I've ever been in. Rode quite well and could get up to speed in no time at all. The only down side I can see is the sun is always shining on you but other than that it's one hell of a fishing boat.

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:58am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have also been in Pangas around Baja, and echo the sentiments expressed above. They're safe boats. Have to say that's the most confusing badly worded listing I have ever seen. You certainly don't come away ready to bid.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:03pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And that's from the company selling them ???????
Real ones are bullet proof and widely used and abused in extreme and demanding conditions. That one may not be a real one.
I would personally have no issue owning one, as I have a similar style in the a hobie power skiff.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by notalloyit notalloyit wrote:

And that's from the company selling them ???????
Real ones are bullet proof and widely used and abused in extreme and demanding conditions. That one may not be a real one.
I would personally have no issue owning one, as I have a similar style in the a hobie power skiff.

That one may not be a real one... so would it perhaps be lightly made out of a mould and be stuffed with foam, making it light and... crap as the company describes it!  LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:20pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gee sharpen up guys , as Lizid pointed out,  the trade me add was telling us everything wrong with our power hungry ( thirsty)  deep v hulls and hence why we should buy an economical Panga. I kind of want one,  but not for the crash home into the 20 to 25kn South Wester that just came up.