Lake Tarawera

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Tarawera
    Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:34am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can anyone tell me how the lake is fishing at the mo? Going there next week, wondering if they are taking small or larger flies etc...
Cheers in advance
Stef
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:47am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I had a boomer day on Tarawera two weeks ago Stefan.
We managed to find them stacked up & had a ball, multiple doubles & busted off "nearly's", lol.
They were taking most anything offered but overall, the green bodied Ginger Mick in size # 6 probably scored most.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 6:43pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Uncle! You're a legend, will get tying...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:08pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

heading down for 4 days end of the month , any good suggestions for jigging spots / flys that are hot 

and the hot colours for trolling 

WinkWinkWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:14pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a great little session on Tarawera this evening.

First time I've ever been on the lake in a boat but Humphries Bay looked a likely spot.

Found a bunch of fish in 22m and landed 7 in just over an hour then had to head for home.

Grey Ghost caught the most, Slimey Ghost and Olive Rabbit caught 1 each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 8:22am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We were at Tarawera Labour Weekend and found most of the fish were in very poor condition. Fishing not bad a.m. and p.m. best of course.

Anyone know why they're in poor condition? Some say not enough taken due to Covid and not enough tucker but??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:33pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera this morning from 0730 - cracking day and sunrise was awesome. Trolling south side from The Landing eastwards, landed 8 from 37cm to 58cm and kept 2. Larger models were very plump and flesh was very pink, one hen landed was tagged.

Tassie devil in green frog pattern was the only thing they were interested in, all taken in 15-20m even in the deep parts. Big bite time from 0730 to 0830 (5 of 8) and then slowed down - last customer at 10.45 so off water after that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:46pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera again this morning trolling north side from the campground eastwards, landed 7 from 37cm to 58cm and kept 2.
Most holding at about 20-23m and quite a few just E of Humphries bay and further east towards the slip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:09am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice fish and nice report. My Taupo vacuum packed smoked trout supply is running low. Do you use a down rigger ? If so is it automatic?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 7:39pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, Scotty electric down rigger with automatic stops, although i did manage to take 2 with lead-line and 5-6 colours out when i was giving the downrigger a rest.
Used to have a manual wind one but it doesn't take long to get a sore arm.
Tried jigging in a couple of spots but no luck, switched back to trolling at 22m across my old jigging spot and picked up one almost straight away.
Tassie devil traffic light seemed to work well. Got a good one at 25m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 5:29pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera last Saturday from 0700. Trolling south side from The Landing eastwards, landed 1 skinny 40cm hen in 15m which was sent back, hard fishing on that side, water temp was 20.7C increasing to 21.8C by 10am

Went over near Hannah's but sparse sign and no bites while trolling, tried out the Haswing trolling motor with spot lock while jigging and took a fat 55cm hen in 24m at about 10am.

Had a sniff around red beach but wind was making things lumpy so finished up about 11.30am.

Heard from another fisher later on in the week that were there on Tarawera at the same time - anything with pink in it was getting smashed, and i hadn't tried anything with that colour but have a mental note to try the next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 9:04pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera today from 0630, awesome sunrise. Trolling north side eastwards towards Humphries campsite, landed and released 3 quick 45cm-55cm hens in 15-20m by 7.30am. Water temp was 21.7C increasing to 22.3C by 10am

Much better from Humphries campsite eastward to Ngahorota bay, picked up 4 on lumo pink tassie devil at depth between 15-25m.

Also found a great jigging spot in 22-23m at eastern side of Ngahorota bay with 5 about 50-55cm landed and released, all took the bottom fly on the Pat Swift medium UV jigs and the trolling motor with spot lock was massively helpful when the wind got up.

Had a troll past red beach, lots of boats hiding from the wind and had some hits but fish threw the hooks so finished up about 11.30am.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 9:25pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera yesterday from 0700.
Started on the south bank near the landing and only picked up one skinny 40cm hen at 15m after 1 hr so headed across to the north side to Humphries campsite and trolled eastwards. Had no bites at all, and talking to some other boats trolling they had no luck either - a hard days fishing.

Thermocline was at about 13m and water temp was 22.1C at 7am increasing to 22.7C by 10am. Saw fish on the sounder between 15 and 25m but no interest in any of the lures presented in various patterns and colours, and jigging proved fruitless.Went for a troll past red beach, got a hookup but acrobatics saw the hook thrown.

Headed around S/SW side but nothing and wind picked up, so headed back up to the landing and had some promising sign, spent over an hour trolling tassie devils of various colours between 15m and 30m.
A couple of hits on frog patterns but no hookups. Finally managed to land a 50cm hen on a gold/black striped frog pattern, but weather turned and rain arrived so finished for the day at 1pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:38pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mate I had a trout fix on Taupo over long weekend. Been a while. Jigged and often had a road train of harling trolling boats slowly cruise by.
 First day wife and I picked up a hen good condition orange meat and jack slabby but had a heap of family joining us at book a batch fishing cottage so got smoked, ain’t much difference between the two flavour wise to be fair. Second day had 4 fishers on board and all caught one trout. Brother in law is a fast learner and was keen to spend a morning out on the water in driving rain(hard top so dry). Had most family want to take home one smoked and one raw for breakfast trout recipe. Big ask. First drop I hooked up 10m under boat but i didn’t register as so quickly and thought id screwed up till a 48cm fatty started jumping around boat. Took a bit to figure it was attached as my line was loose. Fast wind and came up tight. Bro was still unwinding his flys when I boated that one.then quiet. Moved and anchored as white caps with big swells pushing up the rocks into the bush around the waters edge draining back with leaves and no doubt critters for trout. So though hmm  jigging no good trouts on the surface and finder backed that up. So moved deeper. 50-40m and tried a new technic as what we were doing with fly jerks wasn’t working and we were on. 12 trout (limit) up to 58cm. Only one slaby male the rest super condition hens. Result! Every family member took home there fish. Great memories 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:18pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great report, always magic when a plan comes together. Often as you did it's just as simple as moving or adapting to the conditions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 7:32pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera last Saturday from 0700.
Mixed bag around both the landing and Humphries campsite trolling eastwards.Thermocline was at about 15m and water temp was 20.3C at 7am increasing to 22.3C by 8.30am.

Went to some unvisited spots on the NNE side spent half an hour trolling tassie devils of various colours between 15m and 30m before a lumo pink one got smashed at 30m.

7 hookups, 5 landed and 2 around 53cm and 4.5lb kept, most fish taken between 15-20m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 7:52pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice report. What’s the jigging like do you know

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:44pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Saw a few boats and kayaks jigging and a few fish being landed so as long as you are right on top of them they seemed to be taking the lures. Most ones i saw landing fish were in 20-25m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 8:57pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On Tarawera last Sunday in the afternoon and the previous week early Saturday
Started at Humphries campsite trolling eastwards but slow days both times. Thermocline was at about 10-12m and water temp was 13.4C at 7am increasing to 15.7C by 11.30am. A fair bit of suspended matter in the water column and on the surface, looks like pollen or small green/brown seeds from the forest.

3-4 hookups in 10-12m but very acrobatic fish resulted in thrown hooks. A couple of smaller 30-35cm ones released, then went South towards red beach and near the campground and surrounding bays. Fish rising at 3.30pm in the shallows near the trees which was nice to watch. Spent half an hour trolling tassie devils between 12m and 20m before a pink frog pattern one got hit at 15m.

Across to near the landing and trolling at 25m something BIG bent the rod right over, which after a 10 second fight made off with the lure and hook leaving behind a broken line and bruised ego. Will be back another day to resume the battle.

7 hookups, 4 landed and one around 53cm and one about 60cm (4.5lb) kept, most fish taken between 10-20m. Sounder showed deep fish at anywhere from 25-35m and some on the bottom at 40m in places, Lots of boats fishing in the afternoon but i'd call my day slow since the fish were spread out and wouldn't bite on lures or jigs even when good sign visible on the sounder. Highlight of the day was seeing a cormorant with a large koura in its mouth near stoney point jetty when heading out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 4:43pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have heard some encouraging things about Lake Tarawera this season all ready - good conditioned fish in the main apparantly. Lovely lake to fish but i must admit i tend to concentrate on Rotoiti more myself but that was very hard and slow too for me on my only trip earlier in month.  At this early season time i would think covering the ground like you  are doing trolling / downrigger would be the the most productive way to go about it during the day. Maybe early or late harling be a good option.
Page  12>