Did I hear correctly ?????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did I hear correctly ?????
    Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 9:20pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

In the program "Islands in the gulf" on sky tonight, hosted by Shirley Maddox's daughter, I thought I heard it said that Rangitoto is only about 500 years old & did not exist prior to the eruption around about that time.

If that is true, then I venture to say I am probably not the only one that was not aware of the fact.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 9:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

its about 500/600 yrs old,youngest volcano in the Auckland chain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:07pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From Wikipedia:

"Rangitoto was formed by a series of eruptions commencing at least 6000 years ago. The most recent eruptions occurred between 550 and 600 years ago in two episodes, 10 to 50 years apart, and are thought to have lasted for several years during the later shield-forming episode. The first recent episode erupted most of the volcanic ash that mantles neighbouring Motutapu Island, and produced the lower, northern scoria cone. The second episode built most of Rangitoto, erupting all the lava flows and main scoria cone at the apex. The 2.3 cubic kilometres of material that erupted from the volcano was about equal to the combined mass produced by all the previous eruptions in the Auckland volcanic field, which were spread over more than 250,000 years.
In 2013, scientists said new studies showed Rangitoto had been much more active in the past than previously thought, suggesting it had been active on and off for around 1000 years before the final eruptions around 550 years ago. In February 2014 a 150m deep hole was drilled through the western flank of Rangitoto. This revealed a history of activity going back at least 6000 years, with the bulk of activity post-dating 3800 years."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:53am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard to imagine but go back a little further 10,000 years ago and you could have walked to Motutapu, Tiri etc. The fact that the Gulf and fish have been doing what they do and stayed the same for millions even thousands of years is just a myth. They have coped and taken advantages of changes to the enviroment numerous times over. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 5:58pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Auckland volcanos are rather unique in the world as they only eprupt and form a cone once
 They start somewhere down Pukekohe way, and each consecutive eruption is a little Nth to NNE....
So they eventually get up around wiri.. mount wellington,  Panmure basin.. moving out into the gulf forming some of the islands.
Essentially there is a big plate the sort of hinges down the PoB way , up thru the coros, which is moving  seawards. Basically stretching the earths crust from down Taupo NNE between The Waitakere and to corros . As this stretches , thin spots cause epruptions to break thu
Which id everything goes as it has for the last few 1000s yrs or so on a regular basis, the next eruption will be NNE of rangi.

Just after the chch 2nd quake and again after Kaikoura, the herald published links  some scientific sequence maps and info  etc which was rather interesting.
 Also the museum had some very good info about it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nz sits on the middle of two plates,so it sort of makes sense the eruption happens slightly to either side of them or right above the joining of the two plates. Taupo eruption 2000k years ago was documented by the Chinese it was that big,50 times the ejecta of Krakatoa in the south asia. Its the biggest caldera next to Yellowstone, if it goes off say goodbye to life,it could unzip the southern alps and sink nz totally.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:44pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought it was closer to 800 years but it's common knowledge Bazza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 9:19am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Reasonably common knowledge.  My kids both did some assignments on it while at school and there have been a few documentaries that refer to it.  

Apparently, as has been said above, they tend not to erupt in the same place twice in the Auckland volcanic field - so it's probably good to live on the slopes of an existing volcano here ... (I'm in Mt Eden  - so I hope that remains true).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 12:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Reasonably common knowledge.  My kids both did some assignments on it while at school and there have been a few documentaries that refer to it.  

Apparently, as has been said above, they tend not to erupt in the same place twice in the Auckland volcanic field - so it's probably good to live on the slopes of an existing volcano here ... (I'm in Mt Eden  - so I hope that remains true).

HaHa remember back in late 80s telecom were doing some work on the side of Mt Eden and encountered steam.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Eruptions don't scare me any more, after being married for more than fifty years !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Eruptions don't scare me any more, after being married for more than fifty years !

Yeap and science can provide a degree of monitoring and warning for volcanoes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 9:29pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Yeap and science can provide a degree of monitoring and warning for volcanoes.

I gave my wife a "mood" ring that the stone glows green when she is pleased with me but conversely turns my eye black when she's not !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:51pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Hard to imagine but go back a little further 10,000 years ago and you could have walked to Motutapu, . 

Funny you should say that.

My grandfather was stationed on rangitoto during the ww2 and learnt the island inside out. The almost a dozen lava caves you can visit on the summit trip are far more extensive than most realise and we went through them all as kids,almost weekly at times.

One in particular the entrance starts a distance up  from the shore of rangitoto and you used to be able to walk most of the way towards Cheltenham beach on the north shore.My grandfather told my there was a submarine listening post in it to listen for enemy submarines. Makes sense as when we walked through the parts that are now only diveable, you could hear when any boats went over it.

When the first Documented european explorers arrived in nz,a botanist did a drawing of rangitoto and showed it had no vegetation at that stage.
 Plus, Gardeners gap at islington bay was large enough then for 3 masted sailing ships to sail through it.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:14pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting. I believe there is some evidence that NZ was struck by a 25 metre Tsunami which came from the north. Wiped out many maori coastal settlements. It is thought that it occurred about 500 years ago. Maybe there is a connection to Rangitoto.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:25pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maori only got to nz in the mid1400s,so it can't have killed many.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:40pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was watching -What on Earth on discovery in the weekend.
Auckland is sitting on a mega bomb
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.