Hauraki Gulf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauraki Gulf
    Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 10:24am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And not a mention about the huge decline in bait fish , KY stocks , and that local fish retailers cant get stocks of reasonable size mullet and KY.
 They mention 'crays @20%.. but not that are on the verge of extinction..and extinct in many areas.
 There are no quota on these
Take out the food, (bait fish , shell fish) the rest disappear.

Its from my understanding , other than a handful of small local comms, the inner Hauraki gulf has bee abandoned by the bigger operators now.  Hence why they are 'trading ' this off in negotiations, which includes claim compensation for 'surrendering' now uneconomic grounds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:43am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:51am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is anyone actually surprised by this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 1:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As Dr Everlyn Pinkerton pointed ,the Auckland Council is responsible for water quality,fish stock etc out to 10 miles from coast under their control.But obviously chosen not too and bowed down to the MPI as it will/would affect commercial fisherman.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:02pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seachange just another lobby group vying to control the Gulf and our lives. This report was predicted to come out this way months ago on here as a way to gain control and then plonk marine reserves on all the best sheltered, shallow fishing spots in the Gulf we all love to fish. So they can turn them into touristy spots like the freak show that is Goat Island. 

Anyone of them is free to join me on a fishing trip and see how many I see cruise by. Its not as bad as they make out fish wise.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:23pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I read a bunch of the Seachange stuff through. The goals are great, and even the process isn't that bad,  but like so many politically driven things in this country the end result looked more like a power struggle leaning towards a power grab. 
A lot of stuff we wouldn't like as rec anglers was probably due to the compromises needed to get any agreement at all amongst the competing parties but it looked like another situation where by far the largest stakeholders (rec angling) came last behind the minority commercial and specifically in this case Maori interests. 
Read the document and there is a massive handover of control to what is predominantly Maori interests. It all reads fine if everyone plays straight and nice, but things never stay that way so I find it scary myself. From what I understand rec angling was badly under-represented (in numbers not the quality of people involved) and this is just another continuation of the government/councils willingness to sacrifice rec angling to achieve their own agendas better. Why do we have to accept that the interests of the vast majority should be deliberately undermined to better serve the much smaller interest groups? How about we have a public vote instead of the gov/council stacking the odds in the working groups to suit some political agenda. 
For me, Seachange is more of a threat than an answer unless there is a whole lot of changes. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A public vote would probably go against the rec guys Tagit lets face it. If history of the fishery was taught to the public they would/should want to flay the commercial sector for the continued rape and pillage of the 70's & 80's bringing it down to the level we have now. 

Now the threat comes from do-gooders who dress as sheep but are really in with some form of agenda to their own needs and no better than the comms in reality. 

To me the answer is obvious ban all commercial from the Gulf and BOP for 10 years at least. It is the only true gauge we are going to get of recreational impact and those comms can go catch their share of the other 95% of fish landed in NZ. Look at the wonder the ban has done on the west coast its been fantastic.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:43pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

I read a bunch of the Seachange stuff through. The goals are great, and even the process isn't that bad,  but like so many politically driven things in this country the end result looked more like a power struggle leaning towards a power grab. 
A lot of stuff we wouldn't like as rec anglers was probably due to the compromises needed to get any agreement at all amongst the competing parties but it looked like another situation where by far the largest stakeholders (rec angling) came last behind the minority commercial and specifically in this case Maori interests. 
Read the document and there is a massive handover of control to what is predominantly Maori interests. It all reads fine if everyone plays straight and nice, but things never stay that way so I find it scary myself. From what I understand rec angling was badly under-represented (in numbers not the quality of people involved) and this is just another continuation of the government/councils willingness to sacrifice rec angling to achieve their own agendas better. Why do we have to accept that the interests of the vast majority should be deliberately undermined to better serve the much smaller interest groups? How about we have a public vote instead of the gov/council stacking the odds in the working groups to suit some political agenda. 
For me, Seachange is more of a threat than an answer unless there is a whole lot of changes. 

Its called "frog in a pot" as far as I'm concerned. Read about south Africa and what's happening there,and I'm not talking about the fishing either. Everything is swinging one way in small increments now....but it will get a lot worse. There was a nz documentary released a few years back called " 2050 what if?" Or similar. Enjoy your fishing while you can afford to,or find a percentage of Maori blood to lay claim to being able to enjoy it in the future,or take up another hobby....or in my case.....a way to feed your family,because "the times,they are a changing"
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:51pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now the threat comes from do-gooders who dress as sheep but are really in with some form of agenda to their own needs and no better than the comms in reality.

THAT hits the nail full and square on the head..
 They dont need any agenda either....its that thats screwing our teachers, education system, social services... its the same PC BS that put out the instructions to report and parent with children in need of a home urgently to be reported to child abuse (was withdrawn but still happening.. that alone is further reason to be wary of them.)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 7:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny thing is Steps they will talk about the fish being "theirs" even though most of them would not know what species they are or their habitat. Fish are probably, no they are the best free access to protein for a the public. That is just the basic view a lot of people take of fishing, other people enjoy all that goes with fishing like myself.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 7:56pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last 2 elections I made a choice that I would 'vote for fishing'. Yes there are a lot of more important issues to influence with your vote but they are only more important until our fisheries are screwed and then all of a sudden we won't care so much about the minimum wage or whether we join the TPP etc because we will have lost a fundamental part of our Kiwi lifestyle. 
So my votes were more or less wasted for the last 2 elections but what I feel we need to understand is that EVERY major party doesn't give a rats ar$e about recreational angling because we don't affect their ability to get into power. They might talk about it at election time to take the wind out of any anti party talk, but they all do SFA to really help rec angling. 
On the other hand, take just a quarter of the million plus anglers in NZ and get them to all say they are 'voting for fishing' by bringing a suitable minority party into parliament and then just maybe we might see our fishing rights saved. Trouble is that we are not organised enough, not proactive enough, and way to passive as a group. The guys at Legasea, Recfish etc do a great job with what they have, but without our solid coordinated voices behind them they will struggle to win the war even if they can win a few battles on our behalf.
We get another chance in around 3 years from now and I hope I see more people understanding that if we don't get it fixed now it will be gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 8:07pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny thing is Steps they will talk about the fish being "theirs" even though most of them would not know what species they are or their habitat.

They would not know how to bait a hook...let alone know what species used to be out the back of Rakino back in late 50s early 60s

What is the genuine rec fisher?
 For that matter what is a comm fisher when it comes to the gulf... a trawler and crew or a one man band long liner?
 HUGE difference
 A rec fisher?
 The guy who heads out on on a charter every few months, gets a feed plus a little more for the family... good day out and  good company
The guy who fishes the rocks around the city, occasionally takes home a feed... just enjoys being out with bit nature ...
 The guy with little boat, heads out a handful of times a yr, most cases gets nothing or maybe a couple just legal fish for a feed
 The guy with little bigger boat, same as the above.
 Or same boat gets out as much as possible , once every 2 or 3 weeks... (GDOGC).. brings home a feed every time , more often than not several feeds for all 3 families. 3 to 5 good fish each.
 Then the guys who go wide, the big / trophy fish.. maybe stop pick up a quick feed of snapper (couple each) on the way home.
 Notice something?
 no mention of binning limits...
 To be honest in 6/7 yrs have brought home a limit.. 21 snaps once.. couple KY, just to say he have.
 I think most of the above covers most of our rec fishers (?)

We catch far more than the ave rec fisher.. we are out more often , keep records, and while out catch more than most others.
 We are (GDOGC).. often we have our min requirement in the bin stil in sight of the ramp.. drop a line while setting up lines rods etc over bit foul before heading out to our spots.
 Min requirement = A feed for each family (usually 3)
 The rest of the day is Good company day on the water.. what goes in the bin is bonus for neighbours , smoker / freezer (if getting low)
 Anything over what we need goes back.. never need to upgrade the bin

Cost each.. gas oil bait gear, about $55/60 each
 Fish each, not even reaching limit over , often well over $120 each.

Get comms out beyond the 100m mark....
Lower rec limit to 5 fish.
Up the anti, hugely on illegal fishing.. in man power, rec and comms. Up the penalties.. hugely with Min penalties on any environmental infringement. (stops wet bus tickets)
 Cost of enforcement covered by fines. If and when ppl stop infringing, cost of enforcement decreases and visa versa.

And thats where to start.

The ave honest , true joe public rec fisher is NOT the problem and therefore should not be penalised by the bloody PC BS  empire building self interested do gooders.

I have resigned myself to the fact that Im part of the last generation that will be able to go out and get a feed, enjoy a day on the water and good company. I feel, sadly this is a privilege that my grandchildren will not have when they have their children...
 And the reason is the political  BS , the PC BS , the political agenda of our regulators and law makers (not comms at all) and what will tip it all over in the end the bloody dumb do gooders.
 I have had a good run..
late 50s thru to mid 70s
 Then  the last 7 yrs..