Spray for electronics?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spray for electronics?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:26pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Need some advice, has anyone used corrosion x on marine electronics (behind dash area), battery terminals etc ? Or lanocote to be safe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:12pm
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

CRC soft seal. Works a treat. We use it at work which makes it even better value lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:09am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would look at a spray made for electrical applications.  CRC make one (or used to.  Some of the other sprays can be hard on some plastics - including the insulation on wires.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or lanocote to be safe
 Yep, only needs a mist spray, maintenance thing every 6 months or so.. depending how often use the boat. Same under the engine cowling...

CRC soft seal
 I have looked at it,  I suspect that maybe a lanolin based product also (???)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Soft seal can says it’s a wax type coating. I’ve always used it on all my boats and never have corrosion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 3:25pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I suspect lanocote sets moderately hard, and later can crack, that  lets moisture in. Whereas Soft Seal does not appear to set at all so should not crack; but is susceptible to erosion if its in a place that gets wear. I used to spray it on my rifle barrel, that was corroding; but it was worn off quickly by the passing scrub.
My pick for boat electrics would be soft seal; I think Ill get some.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah it doesn’t set hard. I’ve always reapplied it every 6 months as I like to recheck connections regularly. lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:34pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good for trailers too? Can't hurt putting a can in the car, light spray after launch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 8:47pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another yes to soft seal, sprayed my winch motor with several coats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 8:49am
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Dream Dream wrote:

Good for trailers too? Can't hurt putting a can in the car, light spray after launch.

You'd want to use salt away or something similar first, it provides a seal for surfaces that are already clean, otherwise you'd just be sealing in the salt on the trailer after launching.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I suspect lanocote sets moderately hard, and later can crack

Its lanolin,a oil, no it doesnt.
  high impact, high temp, Waxes, greases that have high molecular chains and are made to flow/ be flexable with other low temp solvents oils to apply (paint or spray.) dry out and go hard and crack

Bossco is very correct.. surfaces must be clean and dry 1st, its about adherence of the product, and note having ANYTHING underneath to be trapped and cause contamination of the product or how the product molecules bind.
 Even saltway may leave deposits that are not comparable with the product being applied.

Also a little caution.. these products maybe good around  a lot of protected marine areas.. under engine cowling, enclosed switch board applications. Apply to say vehicle engine bay type place, where dust accumulates, builds up on each application...you end up with a conductive coating over even into electrical wires and connections.

Not an uncommon situation when well intentioned  just of  wire moisture protection products used in vehicle engine bays after excessive or long term use. eg HT lead , distributer caps, leaking HT spark plug boots and feed back tracking in circuits. Also stored vechilce batteries going flat due to tops not clean or dust in the protective well intentioned protective products.

Whatever product, use very sparingly and only when need to.
 If do have problems, chances are further application will only enhance the problem.

The reason I stick to lanlion long term is I know the compounds and properties of the product. Products that dont tell me what they are, I steer clear of where ever possible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

CRC Soft Seal is used before things get wet rather than after.

I use it on battery terminals and wiring joints.

For 'After wetting' use 'Water Displacement' products such as CRC 5.56 or Marine 6.66 or Inox, WD40 etc. ?
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:00am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what ever you use salt always seems to find away past the barrier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:05pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lanocote does set, I assume it has a resin in it, as well as the lanolin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should tell that to the lanocote under my cowling, around the capstan, the main circuit wiring box. inside the trailer lamps.... after 5 or 6 yrs
 That 1 1/4 cans spread over around 5yrs.
 Maybe.. never done it.. if someone uses great excessive amount it might.. cant comment on that.. I just follow product instructions.