What spares do you carry onboard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What spares do you carry onboard
    Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:26pm
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We have been lucky enough to purchase our first launch. Sea Wolf is a 30ft Vindex with a Volvo penta and leg. As I’ve only ever owned trailer boats and outboards was wondering what people carry onboard for the holy crap moments. Cheers in advance guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:30pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

filters are a must
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:59pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

General spares we carry for a large inboard diesel trailer boat are belts, oil, piping/hoses and a spare battery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:20pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done on making the leap, we are just 1 year into launch ownership and no regreates at all,
first thing on the list is a fuel filter most diesal boats have a raycor as the first in line and it is easy to change if a fuel blockage occurs.

I think drive belts are second.

One thing I found early on is I needed a dedicated tool kit I could keep on the boat because it is away from home and I was constantly missing tools because I had forgotten to take something out with me, I ended up buying a cheaper comprehensive tool kit from Repco and have added a few things into it but it covers most bases as you are always working on these boats.

Get your self a really good grunter rechargeable spotlight its a life saver when you are doing overnighters if you have to re-anchor on a dark night and also handy when you are working in dark spaces under the floor, dolphin touches do not cut it. 

Your first year you will have so much stuff to buy the guys at Bursco and Smart marine will know you by first name if they dont already.

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:35pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by matto1234 matto1234 wrote:

General spares we carry for a large inboard diesel trailer boat are belts, oil, piping/hoses and a spare battery.

I am with Matto on his list, plus I would add the following. 
Oil and diesel filters, water pump impeller with kit, fuses if you do not have circuit breakers, spare bulbs for lights, Steering hydraulic fluid, gearbox ATF fluid, tool kit which includes a metric set of open and closed spanners, screw drivers, hacksaw, engine zinc anodes, Inox, etc etc..

Nice boat the 30 foot Vindex. Is it a wooden one? You will need some epiglue and epifiller if it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a twin outboard boat and I carry: -

Fuel filters
Fuel hose
Fuel hose couplings
Fuel tank couplings
Fuel hose clips
A full set of spark plugs

Fuses
Electrical terminals

Spare bung
Spare bilge pump pre-rigged with a socket and hose
Wooden plugs
Aqua-knead it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:48pm
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I've already organised spare filters and belts.
Some small bits of fuel hose for the urgent repair. Oil and spare fuel.

Our maiden voyage will be next Friday 9th when we will be motoring from Tauranga to Whitianga where she will be moored. We had last weekend mucking around in the Tauranga harbour getting used to her. Backed her into the berth without a hitch.

Its exciting as well as feeling a little nervous. Its a huge step up from a trailer boat. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:59pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe I’m paranoid but I’ve also wired wooden plugs near each through hull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 10:19pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wine and beer.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 7:36am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First and most of all a small pair of bolt cutters in case someone gets a hook through the hand or elsewhere! Only way you can cut the ends off even if you elect to leave it in...A cheap pair is fine.
Even a small hook is a problem.

Next is cable/zip ties in a variety of lengths up to fairly big.
I used some the other day to rig an extra shade for us, but have used them for all kinds of stuff over the years.

A roll of duct tape (3m quality).

Then as you change stuff on the motor throw the old one in the spares. I have a spare fuel lift pump off my volvo that I changed out and other bits and pieces..

Fuses if your outfit has them...

Try not to sink the boat with stuff though, it has to be selected and available.

Every winter I take all the stuff out of my boat when it's on the hard and there is always some I can remove to the shed or the dump...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh and a supply of fresh diesel in case you need to top up a filter or clean something etc...is handy.

I keep a 20L and I have given it to another boat in need once before as well..

Rags Rags Rags..........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:12am
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some things to add to the above:

Multimeter - get one that does temperature too. About $40 from Jaycar
Socket Set in a case - We've got a Bahco one that includes open ended spanners, 1/4" and 1/2" sockets
Assortment of rubber bungs
Stainless braided wire
Electrical cable and an assortment of terminals - also get a cheap set of crimpers
Heavy duty scissors that will cut anything
10" Stilson - you never know what you might have to undo, and it doesn't matter how you get it undone, as long as you can get home

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 10:09am
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On a lighter note. Now I’ve almost sunk the boat I’ve had to take the spare bucket off for the missus to do the dishes in at home. Lol

Hey guys really appreciate all the input definitely put a few more things on that I hadn’t thought of. Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:42am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$115 for coastguard membership,no matter how good a mechanic we think we are they can always gets you home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:44pm
Crazzed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Already a member goes without saying. Bloody idiot if your not.