Catch & released wrong way ??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catch & released wrong way ??
    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:39pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It said it had a bite taken out of it,so I'd assume natural selection....ie: slow swimmer maybe.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:56pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

or just an old fish coming to the end of it's life.

On the C&R front in general, I've changed what I do based on reading this forum and articles from Legasea etc. I'm sure most thinking fisherman have done the same thing, but the thinkers are probably in the minority.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:09pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure what you do, but I keep what I catch, if it's legal.
Have tried a couple of times to return big fish (seldom catch monsters...) without luck.
I love the sport of fishing, but I'm not good enough to catch them purely for sport.
So, if on any given day I'm lucky enough to catch 5, I keep them so long as of legal size, I don't return small legal fish 'hoping to catch something bigger' and when I have enough, I stop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Not sure what you do, but I keep what I catch, if it's legal.

That's my biggest change. Previously, I had quite a narrow range of fish that I would keep, around 40 - 60 cm. Now I realise that many fish I released may not have survived, especially if jigging in deep water. I can live with more small fish, or fewer large fish if required. 

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Have tried a couple of times to return big fish (seldom catch monsters...) without luck.

I've caught and released fish from all over the world and never had any concerns that I was doing the right thing, or worried about my fish handling. However, big snapper from deep water generally don't make it. I would try and release them if caught from the shallows, but I usually catch them in 40 metres plus and they are toast on hitting the surface, much like a hapuka. I really don't want to catch the bloody things! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We catch starting out.. if legal, goes in the bin.. till we have a feed for each family. From then its more a recreational attitude type day.. few more for the smoker.
Only brought a legal bin in 2x .
One gets to enough for a feed, some for the neighbours then what goes in the bin is more selective... smoke likes bigger fillets, plates like pannies.
 Most of our fishing is in the 3 to 35 m range.
shallow is not an issue for release, unless swallow/ gut hooked.
 These if legal alway hit the bin.
 Deeper water means usually heavier gear.. heavier gear usually means bit more skull drag and blowing the internals.
 One knows when a big fish hits...enough in the bin, so its time to have a bit of fun..and take the time to enjoy, improve on ones fishing skills, avoid pulling a hook... and try and avoid the skull drag bloating of the fish.
Most times it works , some times it doesnt..

Find there is always a lot of satisfaction being able to return have a fish swim back down, espec a large one.
Add that onto the top of a good fight to get it to the surface... and they tend to fight near all the way up, rather than roll over 1/2 way then float the rest of the way up.
Memorable

To have a fish you would like to release , not want to do so, or even suspect it will not survive takes the edge off a good fight

This describes it very well

but I usually catch them in 40 metres plus and they are toast on hitting the surface, much like a hapuka. I really don't want to catch the bloody things!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:47am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Now I realise that many fish I released may not have survived, especially if jigging in deep water. 

Dead right MB - many report that their fish swam away strongly, but that doesn't mean it survived - the embolism damage has already been done.

Even the promotion and popularity of deflation needles is probably based less on science than on marketing and the feel-good factor. 

There's plenty of literature online on this subject - here's a sample, with my emphasis. 

The last sentence is interesting - taking it a step further I wonder how our snapper stocks would respond if it was illegal to release a legal sized fish.

As a captured fish is brought to surface...gases may leave solution and form bubbles (emboli) in the blood, and various tissues and organs, including the eyes, brain, heart, arteries, gills, spleen, fins, musculature, and the dermis beneath the scales.

The Australian National Strategy for the Survival of Released Line Caught Fish recently endorsed venting as has, in effect, the U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service, which now requires offshore anglers in U.S. territorial waters in the Gulf of Mexico to have venting devices in their possession.

The available information provides virtually no support for the practice of venting as a means of increasing survival of captured and released fish. This result is consistent across a variety of experimental and field study protocols, within and among various species of fish, including species captured in freshwater and in saltwater, and from various depths.

Although fish that can swim away or submerge commonly are considered to have survived catch and release, this assumption is largely untested and there is some evidence that the ability to swim away is unrelated to survival. It is, perhaps, the counterintuitive nature of this result, along with some wishful thinking, that has perpetuated the practice of venting.

However, the physiological effects of barotrauma are not remediated simply by returning the fish to its capture depth (Morrissey et al. 2005) and many barotrauma injuries are unaffected by recompression.

The available evidence fails to demonstrate that venting fishes exhibiting symptoms of barotrauma promotes post-release survival. In fact, it is possible that this practice decreases survival of fish captured from deeper waters, presumably because of the greater severity of their barotrauma symptoms. Venting fish should not only be discouraged by fishery management agencies, but given the possibility that venting adversely affects survival of released fish, this practice should be prohibited, rather than mandated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:21pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snapprgeoff been releasing again??
Went to whatapu today and what a waste 6 x 320mm snapper decaying and 10 x mullet 600mm decaying,maybe a net but its waste

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plus the amount of nylon in tangles littering the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:24pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting, Waynorth.  Shallow water or keep what you catch seems the way to go then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:37pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, when releasing fish (I usually fish in 10m or less) I try not to touch them either, using pliers to get the hook from the snaps mouth.... always use recurves
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 7:38am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marlin fishing on the Garden Patch, noticed a few birds and we found a floating marlin with a tag. Dragged it on board and radioed the tag.
Had been released under 2 hours earlier and swam away strongly.
Ah well, smoked marlin for us.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 1:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Marlin fishing on the Garden Patch, noticed a few birds and we found a floating marlin with a tag. Dragged it on board and radioed the tag.
Had been released under 2 hours earlier and swam away strongly.
Ah well, smoked marlin for us.
There lies my problem with releasing fish,it swam away?? Now this is the only one I have heard about a tag fish not making it,how many do not make it??How many have seen fish floating and kept quite about it??

I was taught not to play with my food.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 4:29pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep,that's the problem with any food gathering treated as a sport,its not sport if the animal goes to waste really. Skull drag it to the boat and eat it. Almost everything I've caught I have eaten,except for crabs that is.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 6:36pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And when you've got what you want/need, STOP fishing. Sometimes this means I'm only on the water an hour or two, but that's OK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:03am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Catch it, eat it , leave the rest alone, simple. this has been my practise now for a long time, as long as the fish are legal, if undersize use a release hook, pliers what ever so the fish is not touched, this at least gives the fish its best chance of survival.

Cheers

The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar