basic boating questions

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tildefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: basic boating questions
    Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 4:52am
tildefish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi everyone,
i was just wondering if i could ask some really dumb, basic boating questions here. i'm new to boating, but not fishing so wanted to find the answers to some things that are puzzling me.

hope that is ok being new to the forum. Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 5:49am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's the whole point of this forum Tildefish,  we won't treat them as dumb questions - ask away!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 6:12am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tildefish tildefish wrote:

hi everyone,
i was just wondering if i could ask some really dumb, basic boating questions here. i'm new to boating, but not fishing so wanted to find the answers to some things that are puzzling me.

hope that is ok being new to the forum. Embarrassed
No dumb questions - I would be interested as you may get dumb answers but probably not, there is no harm in revisiting the basics I think it is useful for all of us.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tildefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:52am
tildefish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the warm welcome guys. i just want to say, i've tried to do as much reading on here and elsewhere as i can, but it only goes so far. so here are my newbie questions in no particular order.
1) where is a good place to mount the EPIRB? i've read the manual and it talks about away from water, direct sunlight etc. but also needs easy access in case of emergency. i've got a stabi 459 fisher so would appreciate suggestions on that.
2) at the rear of the stabi there are two "holes" at the bottom. i assume these are drainage sumps used for washing the boat after being in saltwater. do they need to be "plugged" before heading out? they have a black sock thing on the outside of the outlet.

3) with the outboard being a 40 hp 4 stroke yamaha, does the motor get pushed manually into the down position after launching at a ramp? or is there a switch somewhere that i'm missing that auto-moves it into down position?

basic questions i know. Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:57am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Is the boat open or does it have a cabin? My EPIRB is mounted on the side of the cabin entry. Somewhere near the helm is a good option. If you are worried about it getting wet maybe a small bucket over it would help & that wouldn't hinder access in an emergency. My ePIRB is waterproof I presume most are to some degree.

The socks are scuppers and are designed to be self draining. They shouldn't allow water in but when moving, any water from the boat should drain out. Check them out to see they aren't perished.

Some outboards have manual trim, others electric. If it is electric it will have a switch on the remotes and another on the motor cowling.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:43am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tildefish tildefish wrote:

thanks for the warm welcome guys. i just want to say, i've tried to do as much reading on here and elsewhere as i can, but it only goes so far. so here are my newbie questions in no particular order.
1) where is a good place to mount the EPIRB? i've read the manual and it talks about away from water, direct sunlight etc. but also needs easy access in case of emergency. i've got a stabi 459 fisher so would appreciate suggestions on that.
2) at the rear of the stabi there are two "holes" at the bottom. i assume these are drainage sumps used for washing the boat after being in saltwater. do they need to be "plugged" before heading out? they have a black sock thing on the outside of the outlet.

3) with the outboard being a 40 hp 4 stroke yamaha, does the motor get pushed manually into the down position after launching at a ramp? or is there a switch somewhere that i'm missing that auto-moves it into down position?

basic questions i know. Embarrassed
What area do you live in? - there may be someone from forum who has a similar boat you can visit and get a run down from? 
I usually mount epirb at front of boat (mine has remotes and steering wheel not tiller steer) as away from outboard/fuel and in a bit of shelter from bow - remember you need to be able to grab in emergency and boat could be on fire or upside down!
You have self draining scuppers - handy if launching from beach and waves break over boat - as Smudge says check they are not perished, some have a bung you can screw in from boat side once launched?
Is your outboard manual tilt?  No electric trim?  If so you manually drop and raise - usually has a locking /release bar and a shallow running (half tilt) position - try googling motor make and model for user manual?  Remember you should have motor serviced annually - you could take to local dealer and explain - if you are going to give him work he may be happy to show you the motor controls and check it for you?  However they are very busy before xmas...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:04am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I keep my eprib in the grab bag, along with flares, first aid kit, torch, handheld vhf and other useful items.  A grab bag is a floating bag that you keep emergency supplies in, and if the worst should happen and the boat sinks you grab it and take it with you.  If you google grab bag you will find them, along with suggestions of what to carry in them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think about where you stow a grab bag...
 And other emergency stuff.. life jacket , spare life jackets, flares etc.
 In the cabin? it is not uncommon for a boat to sink because a wave for some reason has gone over the stern.. ending up with the bow only out of the water...
 Man over board.. can you instantly grab a life jacket and throw?  Is the life jacket a inflatable or block?
Under seats, cabin storage is for things like a cooker, spare prop, anchor.
 Its all very well meeting 'legal' or recommended requirements.. these things need to be instantly  accessible when needed.
 I little for thought , thinking thru is all thats needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:34am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you have any friends that're experienced boaties that you can take out on the boat to give you advice as you go for a few trips?

For the sake of a days fishing I'd be keen for as far as my experience goes.
I did that when i got a boat a few years ago and it was the best idea ever.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 12:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

Do you have any friends that're experienced boaties that you can take out on the boat to give you advice as you go for a few trips?

For the sake of a days fishing I'd be keen for as far as my experience goes.
I did that when i got a boat a few years ago and it was the best idea ever.

I agree with that approach, great advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:06pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vert often newbies are that because they dont really know anyone to head out regularly.. then throw in there are a lot of ppl out there who may look good to a newbie but in essence many of us would  only head out once and once only with them.

What area do you live in? - there may be someone from forum who has a similar boat you can visit and get a run down from?

Yep, or even just spend a couple hrs and a couple coffees going over a well set up boat.
 If your area is listed in you profile, often you will find members will PM you quietly...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:47pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Location location location!
I am no expert, but since moving to NZ with zero boating or fishing experience, I'm now comfortable solo launching, and I even catch fish (sometimes!)
Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:07am
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I started boating last October. took out a experienced fisho mate from work quite a few times before even my family. He helped teach me about launching and boat handling. I have a couple of youngsters so it can be quite stressful especially at a busy ramp. Made a checklist which helped a lot. And launch real early when ramp is less busy. Still worry when launching and feel that helps not be complacent. Was thinking about doing one of the boat courses.would be happy to help share knowledge and go out with you. Although know there are a lot more experienced people available on this forum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:10am
Silver
Silver

Just to add I have been out every two weeks on average and more confidently solo launch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:09am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's some more advice too, book yourself into a Coast Guard Day Skipper course and then a VHF course and get a VHF callsign.

Make a list of things to do, I keep mine on the inside of the back door of my Prado.
It goes like this,
Bungs in,
Scuppers Up,
Fuel tanks in and full, bellows pumped, (I run my outboard on muff the night before going out so it'll start first time at the ramp)
Kill switch hooked on, (hooked onto life jacket)
Outboard at maximum lift (so you don't scrape it on the ramp)
Tie down straps off, D-shackle loosened,
Painter tied on (bow rope so you don't lose the boat when you launch)
Winch handle on,
All the gear in the boat, (before you get to the ramp . . . Rods, tackle, bait, food, water, spare this and that)
Put life jacket on NOW.

That's my list.

And then there's the list for when I'm in the boat and still near the ramp that covers how to do a trip report.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:41pm
Silver
Silver

Nice one mouthu.

I have a slightly different list for set up and pre launch.

I typically set up the night before as am an early starter. Like to hop in car and go.
Set up is:
Fill totes and run engine.
Load boat with
-fishing stuff: rods, tackle, bait/berley/chilly bin
- safety: aux motor, life jackets, extinguisher, portable radio
- bungs

Prelaunch(at ramp) work way from back to front
- trailer lights
- check bungs
- engine off travel lock
- battery isolation to on
-winch safety shackle off
- painter out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stuff like jackets , flares, spare prop,spare chain/ anchor, are all permanently loaded..

Day before heading out
Engine run, battery voltage  and charge checked, VHF checked, nav/ anchor light checked, bilge pump checked , steering , trim checked, bearing buddies checked  and pumped up with evinrude triple gaurd red bearing grease
Rods drags pre set, traces set...
Just before leaving
 bungs in, rods , sounders gps loaded, plugged in, checked.
 bait and burley into bait burly chilly bin.. ice blocks into fish bin, and loaded.
Crews gear, warm clothes, food drink loaded.
 1st burley and bait packet put into bucket to thaw.

So basically as we hook up the trailer.. boat fully loaded, ready to drop in the water.. tie downs etc checked.
 Stop fill up the boat tank..
 About 20/ 30 mins to load  to leaving the gas station.

Get to ramp, swing boat around line up.. crew go down each side, removing bow tie down , rear tie downs, and motor lifted droped 1/2 down, 20/30 secs then backed in.
 bow shackle removed, Permanent bow roped passed to crew on side ramp...quick push boat slides in, trailer taken away...
When parked , the rollers given quick check, as walk the winch hook to rear cross member ( keel roller trailer)

While  trailer parked, motor fired warmed up, gps sounders turned on, rods taken out of stow  and into rod holders.

We them make a quick stop at one of several bits foul not far off he ramp.. throw over couple soft baits, bait up.. put lures on.. a quick 10 min drift, if nothing happens move out to fishing grounds.

Ready to head home..
 last burely pulled up, couple rods still out on a long drift.. wash down, using a couple $2 hearth brushes.. used to be bucket water, now wash down pump..
 Sea water container filled (rinsing fillets later)
 Clears re clipped down, everything including rods packed and stowed, ready to unload when get home... last couple rods wound in and lure added.. just in case a work up ...
 At thev ramp.. trailer retrieved, final stow couple things away.
  Boat on trailer... rem the winch hook already just to pick up..
 boat pulled up, shackle put in drive out... everyone already in the truck.
 up to the wash down, rinse off boat, trailer rise motor, carpets  soaked, rods reels rinsed...they are stowed in a manner that is assessable from outside.  Bow tie down put on, rear tie downs on...home.
 Having everything packed and stowed before the ramp, means unpacking at home quick easy.
 Boat quick foam up with CT 18...
Fillet fish in the shed, stainless bench.. production line style..

Fish are all cleaned gutted, at sea... before going into the fish bin so chilly bins etc are clean
 Chilly bins ice bricks quick rinse all thats needs.. bricks and any still frozen bait / burley into the bait burly freezer.
 Rods racked on work benches to dry

next day, boat carpets etc re foamed, and washed down .. about every 4 th /5th trip water blasted..if needed.
 While washing down , motor run in the drum...
 Rods sprayed with inox wiped down, and oiled..drags released and put into the wall rack.
  Cabin carpets  etc get light spray  gone in 60 sec 10% soln of concentrate... that prevents smells algie mould etc. 1 min

When everything has dried or near dried, CRC all the rollers, wheel nuts, trailer lights connector, hitch padlock, hitch, tie downs bimmini clips, carbinas , motor hydrolic trim mechanism.  2 mins

Every 4/ 5 trip clears, screens get a quick polish with meguires car quick detail polish  3/ 4 mins...good 6 yrs now still as good as new...
bimini seams get quick spray from inside with the gone 60 secs, and seats seams.
 Hydroilc piston shafts get a good grease with evinrude blue triple guard, as does the steering arm and motor grease nipples.
 Every 6 months under cowl given a good wipe clean out... more wipe than anything to clean, then a mist spray of lanolin in a aerosol can.

Seems a lot of work, but being organised, its not and makes general cleaning maintenance far quicker, less things go wrong, thing last yrs longer..
 And things like get a puncher, wheel nut come of easy , no beaking studs, or hard work... steering rods cables dont get jambed.. motor tilt doesnt corrode, or seals leak etc.
 Very rarely need to spend time with break downs,  'fix ' anything.
As my Grand father used to say 50 odd yrs ago
 'Work Hard at being lazy'

Even to the extent we pull the 5.5m fully loaded Commander up on the keel trailer with a 18v battery drill faster than can wind it up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff steps - if everyone did this coastguard would be a lot less busy...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:34pm
Silver
Silver

Woah next level steps, thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just stuff picked up going out with my DSad in a 14' kauri clinker as a kid, CG coarses back in the 70s.
 Dealing with ppl with nil concern for others at busy ramps.
 And simply being as bloody lazy as possible on a long term basis.

Even our lawn doesnt have a single weed in it... to be lazy.
 When you mow your lawn 99% of the time you mow the flowers and pasplum storks.. take those out..
And the mower is a vintage 1950s reel , self propelled lawn master...dont have to push it.. and gardens laid out so dont have cnts or small areas to go back and forth or turn....
 Other than a sort period in spring and summer where lawn is mown  every 2 , then 3 weeks, rest of the yrs is 6 to 8 weeks.. To weed it once in a while, about 20 mins.

As my Grand father used to say 50 odd yrs ago
 'Work Hard at being lazy'
Page  123>