Cray pot ideal size

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cray pot ideal size
    Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:58pm
JoshNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

Any body have any preference to cray pot size? I just picked up a sheet of 50mm square mesh, I can either make two pots, 600mm square by 300mm high, or 1 bigger of whatever size.

I figure the smaller you have it the closer the exit is to the walls... The less it holds, if that's ever really a problem... 2 spots instead of one might outweigh any cons. No issues with storage in boat.

Thoughts?
Cheers, Josh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:59pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These pots are made locally here in Gisborne and are an ideal size for most trailer boat. Approx dimensions are 770x770x300. One key ingredient on how good a pot fishes is weight, light pots move to much and crays wont climb in. Also fresh bait is best, kahawai, tarakihi, trevally are sure to bring crays out and dont skimp on how much bait to use.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:11pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice pot Tzer, does it have the legal escape holes?
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:16pm
JoshNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I bet it doesn't need them. The inner dimensions of that mesh look big enough to not need escape holes by the rules.

This mesh is 50mm square and 4mm gauge so it's reasonably heavy. Have plenty of weight I could add to two small ones. I could even spot some rebar around the edges to give it some more weight so either way... 600 square a bit small?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:18pm
JoshNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also anyone know anything about kerosene soaking? I've read it can help. The mesh isn't exactly shiny it's covered in mill scale as usual but doesn't have the aged rust look. Would like to get it fishing sooner than later. I could pinch some jetA from work, is it worth doing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:01pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Nice pot Tzer, does it have the legal escape holes?

Its 50mm mesh same as used by commercial
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:04pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JoshNZ JoshNZ wrote:

Also anyone know anything about kerosene soaking? I've read it can help. The mesh isn't exactly shiny it's covered in mill scale as usual but doesn't have the aged rust look. Would like to get it fishing sooner than later. I could pinch some jetA from work, is it worth doing?

I wouldnt worry it will rust in time as long as its not galvanised mesh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:26pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't the inside dimentions for the escape gaps have to be 200mm x 54mm.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

pots

Rock lobster pot means any pot, baited or not, that is capable of

catching or holding rock lobsters; and includes any other device

capable of catching, holding or storing rock lobster. All rock lobster

pots must have escape gaps (apertures). These are openings in the

pot designed to allow undersized rock lobster to escape. No escape

gap shall be incorporated in either the top or the bottom of any pot.

Each escape gap must have an inside dimension of at least 54mm

x 200mm.

Round or beehive pots: must have at least 3 escape gaps (other than

the mouth).

Square or rectangular pots: must have at least 2 escape gaps (other

than the mouth) in opposite faces of the pot. Each shall not be less

than 80 percent of the height or length of the face of the pot in

which the escape gaps are contained.

Mesh pots: any pot contructed entirely of unaltered spot welded

mesh with minimum inside dimensions of 54mm x 140mm does not

require escape gaps. Mesh pots may be used with covers or liners

provided they leave unencumbered at least 80 percent of the surface

area of each of 2 opposite sides.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:34pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Don't the inside dimentions for the escape gaps have to be 200mm x 54mm.

Just to clarify the mesh is 54mm and conforms to the above regs bazza has posted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:04am
JoshNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I decided the 600 square would do, nice to have two of them and they may get a bit of use out of the dingy too. It doesn't actually feel that small now that it's together.

I picked up the sheet for $40, so each pot is only going to cost $20 and a bit of argon, can hardly go wrong in any case.

Do you guys think the half bucket type entrance will be too big for it? I might look around for a smaller bucket or jug. Does it make a difference if the escape holes are vertical slots or long horizontal slots..?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 6:06am
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

These pots are made locally here in Gisborne and are an ideal size for most trailer boat. Approx dimensions are 770x770x300. One key ingredient on how good a pot fishes is weight, light pots move to much and crays wont climb in. Also fresh bait is best, kahawai, tarakihi, trevally are sure to bring crays out and dont skimp on how much bait to use.

who sells those pots in gizzy Craig?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:40am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Shanedog Shanedog wrote:

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

who sells those pots in gizzy Craig?

Shane you can ring Gary Scragg @8680904. $130 for pot in photo with rope or float, he does an oblong one for $110 I think. Colin at DFS also has them which he gets from Napier but I dont know his price. Bith lots of pots could do with being weighted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:58pm
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Craig, will look into it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:37pm
WaiapuKahawai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Tzer
Who makes these pots. I'm after a couple. Cheers mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:40pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by WaiapuKahawai WaiapuKahawai wrote:

Hey Tzer
Who makes these pots. I'm after a couple. Cheers mate.

WaiapuKahawai ring  Gary Scragg 068680904. $130 for pot in photo with rope or float, he does an oblong one for $110  I think. Colin at Discount Fishing Supplies here in Gisborne also has them which he gets from Napier but I don't know his price. Both lots of pots could do with being weighted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you guys think the half bucket type entrance will be too big for it?

the blue example in the other pics looks like an ice cream container.. the type used for the more expensive custom ice creams.. have a dig around in the local supermarket freezer (???)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:36am
WaiapuKahawai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Craig
I got a hold of him... Bloody good pots for the price.