Gamefishing Updates - Manukau to Ahipara - 17/18

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Joker. 115 to 120 seems to be the magic place again. Maybe a few will turn up a little closer too as the season goes on
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:11pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

đź‘ŤGood to see a few getting caughtđź‘Ť
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:14pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done guys, great to see
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:15pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Geoff, now we can relax a bit. We lost too many early on with the hooks not sticking/dropping etc. On this one we just let it run and cleared everything out of the way before touching the rod and then following retrieving line.
Boat is an FC560c/c that is amazing for fighting fish and the chilly bin seat right in the middle of the cockpit made a wonderful fighting chair. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey all, are the Albies in close off the Manukau at the moment?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I had pleasure of meeting forum member Xtoad and his brother Mark today. I can't believe one was given the name Mark when Xtoad got such a cool name.

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. A couple of very nice and thoroughly chuffed guys (is chuffed still a word?)

Anyway, they (used to) say a pic is worth a thousand words. Here it is:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where was this caught smudge, stop keeping all these weigh master secrets to yourself :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I had pleasure of meeting forum member Xtoad and his brother Mark today. I can't believe one was given the name Mark when Xtoad got such a cool name.

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. A couple of very nice and thoroughly chuffed guys (is chuffed still a word?)

Anyway, they (used to) say a pic is worth a thousand words. Here it is:

I'll tell you Monday cos I'm fishing Sunday Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:35pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. 

You would never make that mistake with a gurnard though would you Smudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. 

You would never make that mistake with a gurnard though would you Smudge.

Nope I wouldn't. Here's a true story. The first marlin I weighed this year I guessed at 90.4kg. It went 90.2. An hour later I chose 92kg, it went 92.4 Star

Guesses is guesses. Sometimes right sometimes wrong. First time in a while I have been 20kg + out. As Xtoad said it is harder to guess the fat fish and the skinny fish.

Gurnard i can usually get the weight spot on. Freak Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My guess, 130m behind the bar...Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Wefaknis Wefaknis wrote:

My guess, 130m behind the bar...Wink

Close! Your turn this year Wekafins you deserve one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 4:52am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Dunwurkn Dunwurkn wrote:

Where was this caught smudge, stop keeping all these weigh master secrets to yourself :)

In the mouth...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:10pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well Im a gonna head out across the Manukau Bar tomorrow and look around. See ya out there. :)
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:28pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip , might sneak out too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out yesterday from the manukau .Went out to the 100 meter then out to the 130 in a loop then straight back in .Acres of bait closer in from 60 to 80 meter .Fairly quiet apart from a mako shark that crashed our gig and very impressive crash  it was ,it attacked the lure at speed . Got him away then things were quiet .Lots of boats out as the paddock was choca .Some average behaviour on the boat to boat 63 channel ,normal moron stuff . The temps are some of the hottest iv had out west ,one stage 24c .There is bound to be some strange catches out west this year .Heard one of the boats say there  was some kaipara catches too.Great day out west
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:33pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Apologies for late post but been on the water east and west for five days straight and not all fishing. Obviously had a great day Thursday finally getting my brothers first marlin. Saw it freejumping from 500m away and managed to catch up to it after 30 or so jumps, first pass in front of it and it hoovered the short corner like a monster from a horror movie. First hook up I’ve ever had from a free jumper. It peeled off 400m and sounded. After two circles around it I realised it hadn’t moved and stopped the boat - nothing happened. Cranked it straight up from 137 straight off the bar and it was stone cold dead. One side was covered in mud still...
Real shame as mark was intent on releasing it. Anyway thought we would get some pics strung up and a huge thanks to Smudge for the courtesy weigh, great to finally meet you after stooging around this forum for so long.
Had a day back out there Friday on a mates boat for a few albies and one seen tailing. Quick two days down the bottom end to keep the boss happy and filled with scallops and I was back out today. Found skippies in 90m just north of bar and bugger me if we couldn’t catch one for an hour. First one in the boat got bridled and chucked back in. While I was searching for a rubber band the bloody thing got eaten out of my hand after all of 30s in the water. Bit of chaos ensued and after coming tight and peeling off 50m it was all over. Things went a bit dead after that and couldn’t find bait anywhere for a few hours. Sank a few (great handle mate) and wandered in to cap off a great few days on the water. Jeez we are lucky.
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:38pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

PS did anyone else have 24.7 deg water today?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:39am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Xtoad ,I was going to give my sounder a wack to make sure it was working properly.Some high temps indeed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:22am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

really big day for me and another Ahipara boat.  headed south to close to hoki and was not much seen by either of us in the way of Marlin.  
Page  <1234 5>