Gave it ago

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gave it ago
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:01am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out The noisies and first cast a little 32cm snap  ne and out going tide made it a little bit uncomfortable,next tried billy goat point and got hits but no hook ups,but the sb was being stripped from head, happened about 5 times. Now what braid should I use? was using mono but think the weight of the mono was not getting sb down quick enough.So carried on aroound to boulder bay where I landed a lot of 29cm fish,but lost another 5 sb.This time I anchored due to wind against tide,then it happened when time to retrieve anchor,bow went down chain jumped off gypsey put hand down knelt on winch button and hand in way now have 8 stitches for my trouble.And my crew totally useless. Will definatly give it another go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Damn on the stitches..
 We are both.. bait and lure SB.. mostly drift.. very rarely anchor.
 I think braid is a must for SB to sink well with a light weight.
Most SBs use very light braid and rods.
 We use rods like the okuma nano matrix, 6 to 10kg with coloured 30lb J braid with a 'go to' mustard 3/0 5/8oz... and down to 3/8 in 10m and less. The 30lb braid is  std for all our rods.
 Upgraded the shamano 4000 oc to a thunus while back.. big difference in casting the sb, and catching as well.
Love the baitrunners, espec when rods get dropped in holders (see below) and feeding out as the sb goes out the stern.
We usually have a couple stray lines out the stern, and casting sb in front of the drift.
Most of out fish are bait, espec in winter, and maybe also because , the stray line start to go and the SB is droped into the rod holder...

As to having sbs pulled off .. we use Z man.. we have lost the concessional one, even then usually because it has been hammered and not in good condition to stay on any more.
 If fishing is a little hard on long drifts we drop a burly 2 to 3 meters off the bottom. Burly pot on 3.5mm braid so drops near vertical.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:07pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks steps
will invest in braid,determined  not to give up,took no bait so had to keep going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:05pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry to read of your hand injury and just read about Steps hand with the trailer hook as well. Both unlucky events.
Couldn't go with Steps on Weds but scored a day out yesterday on a boat where 4/5 use smelly bait. My Softbaits caught the first fish of the day (Z-Man Motor Oil Curly Tail) and the largest (Z-Man Nuked Chicken Jerk Shad) so keep trying PJC.
I think you have to have braid and a bendy rod. I'm a newbie but that's what i was told and it works for me.

Also, what heads and SB's are you using? I use the Z-Man heads as they have big grippy 'jagged' hold-ons. No issue with the SB's getting torn off at all. Plus I use the Secret Sauce.
We were north of Rangi Lighthouse and off Billy Goat Point too. That's where I got my biggie Snap.
Hope both your guys' hands heal quickly.

Edit: PJC Your boat appears to have capsized!
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:04pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PJ - depending on the time of day you either drove way too far or not far enough. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:21pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

keep it up Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:55pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

x2, keep it up PJC. It's a great string to have to your bow.
I recommend some of the Kiwi-made videos on YouTube, which gave me a real head start in terms of technique. See examples below.

First attempt, I drifted in the Rakino Channel with a 2oz Cyclops style sinker and got two nice fish, and then tried casting on the other side of the island with a 3/4oz jighead and hooked a real beaut which got off after tangling another line just under the boat.

After that it was a steep learning curve - definitely pays to have gear designed for soft baiting, doesn't have to be expensive. I got an Okuma combo from Top Catch to kick me off a couple of years ago, and went from there.

JetSki Fishing Channel for the drop beside the boat method e.g.

Mark Kitteridge and Paul Senior, on the mostly casting method:

And for dragging softbaits after Christmas, in the channels around Auckland

Have fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bad luck with the hand Paul but could have been worse on your fingers.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:08pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

carry a tube of instant bonding superglue and put a couple of drops on the jig head to help hold the softbait on, just be careful not to glue your fingers to it aswell.  a glued on Zman can do 5+ trips & 100+ fish easy before it needs replacing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The well known charter skipper out of Whatuwhiwhi / Rangiputa up north uses copper wire tightened over the front of the Z Man soft baits, same concept I guess Strx7. 

Very durable. He had 6 rods lined up for the customers, all with Z Mans - mostly Bruised Banana jerk shads, but a couple in New Penny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Proof that soft baiting is dangerous!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:21pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks team,been in to top catch and they have a inexpensive ready to go set by shimano I think $125 ish,have to drop hint to wife.

will get an assortment of heads an S/Bs next week. 
What type of braid,so many on the market and what line strength is common?

On trademe there is a guy in Frankton selling 1kg mixed bags for $25
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:24pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:33pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pjc, apologies if you know this, but one of the things all my buddies miss when they are trying soft baiting on their own boats is controlling drift speed. if you don't have a sea anchor that is up to the job, it makes soft baiting difficult, if not impossible.

they are reluctant to spend money on a sea anchor for something they don't really believe is going to work or they are just trying out. No decent sea anchor = failure and frustration and the conclusion that soft baiting doesn't work. i've seen this a number of times. some blokes turn up with a bucket on a length of rope as their sea anchor, for their 6 metre boat LOL or a tiny sea anchor that wouldn't slow a kayak down. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

to go set by shimano I think $125 ish,have to drop hint to wife.

We have shimano rods/ reels, okumas that have been religated to crew gear....be it stray line or soft bait..
 And when upgraded , modestly .. dont have deep pockets...to little more better gear, both the SB and stray lining improved dramatically. Even then definately not in the all out soft baiting ideal, mid range pricing.
 Min I would go a shimano oc 4000  ( I use for by got to stray line now) on a obsolete okuma  braid concept 6/ 10 kg rod. For rod with the 400oc would go okuma nano matrix for SB.
 The shimamno / okuma x factors, extreme, catalinas dont quite make the grade for sb.. fine for stray line thu.

I would not go to okuma bait runners thu.. had heaps issues with several... ideally for soft bait reel and over budget the shimano thunus
Ideal thunus is a around $300  on special $270  and nano matrix around the $170... then throw in  the j braid another $60 ..

Its taken 5 or 6 yrs to just get to the gear we have now....

Sb s well it is far to easy to get carried away...
Start with a pack of 4" (small) and types that have "glow" on the label... a dark speckled and a brighter orange/ green sort of colours.
 Then build from there..
a pack 3/8 and 5/8  3/0
 And good to go to around 25meters.

We dont use a sea anchor very often at all.. bit lazy...if the sb doest hit them the bait willWink....in saying that , definitely get the fast drift and the SB  fish in the bin drops dramatically...

And I dont care what anyone says " smelly bait over SBs"
The bloody gulps and pastes bloody stink... more over fresh bait on the board all the time.

Xmas is coming....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Thanks team,been in to top catch and they have a inexpensive ready to go set by shimano I think $125 ish,have to drop hint to wife.

On trademe there is a guy in Frankton selling 1kg mixed bags for $25

Paul, three things; there is braid and there is braid, the good stuff is really thin so not uncommon for folks to use 10, 15 or even 20lb. I fish with 10lb stren for softying. Others may go even lighter 6 and 8lb.

The outfits you saw for that price are entry level, so don't expect much in the way of refinement or functionality.

And the key to fishing softees is to move, as in drift, so forget anchoring, maybe invest in a suitable sea anchor/drogue to slow your drift.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:14pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Everything said above

Up to 20 metres, a ZMan paddle tail in New Penny, loaded with secret sauce....my usual starting point.
Up to 3/4 or 1oz. if 30 metres.

Rod action is a soft bendy tip to impart movement, stiff butt to lift the fish.

Big fan of Sufix 832 braid, 10, 15 and 20lb.
Spend more on a reel and you get a much better drag, very important with bigger fish that pull some line. I had a reel with a drag that was not smooth. Lost a few when it jerked tight, got it upgraded to Carbontex and serviced and landed a 20lb on 10 lb braid and a PE 0.4-1 Veritas rod.

Some of the cheaper Shimano reels are ok, but the drag will get hammered by bigger fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:18pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

in saying that the cheap sets are still very capable

recently put some shimano kairiki in bright green on a shimano sienna 2500, seems nice.

my symetre 2500 and abu 5601 c4 have daiwa jbraid 8x
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:18pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Go as light as you are comfortable with pjc - thin braid offers the least water resistance/best sink rate & casts better if you get into wash fishing. I like non-fused braids & have now settled on 10 & 20lb Suffix 832 on my freespool baitcasters - will work fine on fixed spool spinning reels if they are your preference. 

Don't get locked into thinking your softbait rig is only a softbait rig - my 'heavy' 20lb setup is also my go-to strayline rig.

The design of paddle tails/swimmers means they have a swimming action built in during the drop and the retrieve, and you can still work them on the bottom with your rod - best of both worlds & worth getting a couple of packets.

Z-man softbaits are made from weapons-grade plastics, survive strikes well, even from boltcutter leatherjackets, & should catch many fish before they need replacing. Bleeding banana, nuclear chicken, & motor oil are popular colours. Gulps are OK & catch fish, but they are nowhere as tough - once they've been tailed they are toast. If you decide to try both, keep them in their own packets.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks, lots of homework to do,be a good 3 weeks before i can go out,cannot bend fingers "oh Steps" they didnt find it funny you and I using meths etc as a cleaning agent.Big smile
Page  12>