SHOW US YOUR KAYAK

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2006 at 4:40pm
Ski View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heres my sekat "wetspot" short but stable manouverable in surf ,swell etc bit slower than some of the longer versions  but fits in me truck and very light to carry.no flash mod cons tho i have fitted a berkley rod holder ,seat and wrist rope (off boogie board)which attatches the paddle to the line around the side..has done couintlesss excersize missions around lake pupuke and northshore beaches and endless fishing missions from as far as cape kari kari, whangaroa,orewa and whangaparoa ,most east coast bays beaches and a few missions over on the west coast off muriwai and pouto pt.also alot of tidal river excursions checking out most of the tidal creeks around aucklandand  east coast rodney rivers. this was the cheapest kayak on the market and after testing quite a few others found not alot of difference in performance other than a bit of speed in the longer yaks. all my gear gets packed into a bag and bungied down.keep my bits and pieces to a minimum and just use an onion sack as a "berly/anchor"witha cuple of "lucky rocks"chucked in for the weight.this is attched by a warhouse handline with some 24kg mono(easy to cutoff if mr toothy decides to hitail it with the berley!!) have found my kayak fishing missions to be one of the most effective and economical ways of fishing .i usually spend about $16 on a trip $5 pillies,$5squid$5 berlyand $1 onion sack if i havnt got any from the vege shop.small waterproof tupperware container with afew bits of tackle,landing net,and a knife .drink and hat round off the gear and off on another adventure .have also had the pleasure of yak fishing with a few different fishing .net yakfishos through the site and good to know theres others out there with the same passion for fishing that i have.

yamaha reliability
senator stability
shimano superiority
the rest is up to the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2006 at 10:32pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok guys the Dorado on my Car Taupo

In the water at Mana Welly

Spent this week end doing some extra rigging

And

The fish box

Scotty 3 in one rod holder being used as a rod surf tie down point for rods (notice the deck Bungy) among other normal uses

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2006 at 11:39pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Aaaah... I was wondering when you were going to reveal the new weapon Mike. Looks like you've been busy all week rigging it out - and a fine job too.

You should be all set now for the Wellington winter gamefishing season... Cook Strait Sailfish... Spiny Dogfish... man-eating Eagle Rays... . I guess in the meantime you'll just have to practise on snapper, gurnard and kahawai.

DogFish

I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 5:51am
stew View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mr Car,

How much was that beast landed ? Don't suppose any one is importing them  . Looks a real tidy bit of tackle .

stew

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Krill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 8:28am
Krill View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mr Car, Looks real nice and you are making a good job of fitting it out. Havnt really looked at the specs but how much does it weigh? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dreadeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 8:56am
dreadeye View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

She's a beauty alright.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 9:31am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Ski

Could not agree more that all the fish you can eat can be caught from a very basic yak with basic gear as long as the foundamentals are right.

This DIY attitude is echoed in an article in the current issue of NZ Fishing News titled "Kayak Fishing For Beginners".   However, despite the limiting title, the core message applies to everyone.

Enjoy your fishing

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 12:49pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mrcar - that is awesome - am very jealous

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 12:22am
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The thing is with this Kayak I can actually lift everything - eg rods x 4 paddle Crate, Fish finder and all the gear plus Kayak in one hit - hefty but was achievable( just had to try it as I could have never done this with the P 15 (Tryed that too)

I can also grab around the sides of the yak with ease and not use the handles at all which also gives an indication of width.

You sit very low - in actual fact 25 mm from the bottom skin of the Dorado so this puts you way below the water line with good stability the lower you sit in a Kayak and I can still sit side ways althrough I use this possition to grab gear from the crate which is all part of your purchase.

I am going to change the anchor trolley cable to thinner 4mm stuff so it runs between the pulleys we added to the Dorado which only arrives with the trolley cable and no pulleys, which is why the Mana photo shows this cable drooping down - their cable runs in the pulleys but is tight to move along the deck.

It is very light in comparison to other Plastic yaks and is a pleasure to lift (I mean really is) Was going to put the dam thing on scales to check it but still can I reckon ( The Scotty thingy wieghs a tone so are considering putting some lightning holes in here at some stage). You can arrange this mount at any time to 3 totally different confiquirations

The points about fishing with a basic gear ring true but if you are interested in paddling as well and not soley fishing then you either buy a cruiser as well, or by a better spec fishing Kayak.

I have only had two paddles in her so far but from that time spent in the Dorado I would have no probs putting in at Mana and paddling around to Plimmerton or to Mana Island as the Dorado glides and paddles with ease and where as I was struggling to keep up with a rolling wave and Paddle any distance in the P15 and in a rear wind I can now over take it and actually use the wave to my advantage - rudder is responsive and so light I had to turn around and check it was working, we tested this by putting the Dorado in a glide and applied rudder either way and she had no problem turning.
The fact of the matter is she turns about 50% better than the P15 and to remember also the Dorado is Longer.
The cockpit is a tight fit but comforable for me and helps in actually lean turning etc. No thigh straps needed at any time including surf. Expect to get wet as with every SOT yak I have paddled so far in decent sea's a wave invariably arrives over your deck.

Other plus points with Dorados is that they have seperate sealed bulk heads improving your saftey again easy to repair and will aways look good as long as you maintain her and why shouln't you - your life depends on a safe vessel as well as common sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2006 at 11:51am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks for the detailed discourse.   How do you like the buit-in fish hatch?

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2006 at 2:55pm
bentley View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yes very nice if only i had money
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2006 at 3:06pm
bentley View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

heres my p13 all riged up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2006 at 12:33am
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some awesome looking setups the lads.

Interesting to see a mixture of eggbeaters ond overhead reels in the tackle arsenals.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 7:01pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mr Car,

What sort of coin did the basic set up cost??? You would have thought one of the manufacturers over here would get the point and make a plastic version (but just differetn enough to no issues with legal begals)

top stuff, whats the stability like??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 8:47pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi JB
For a glass yak that you can alter should you wish it was comparable to the glass yaks manufactured this side of the pond.

The yak, the plastic crate on the rear and the (carbon paddle $163 nz)with an extra rod holder plus spare rudder blade came to all up $2,348.66 nz and then customs wanted a shate so add 550 and then the port boys wanted thier share so add another 200. (rip of buggers)

Not cheap in relation to a plastic but cheaper than a compatable SOT made in glass here (not available) - we reckon we could bring that price back a bit if we could get confirmed and paid for orders for 20 of them. Pelican or Skua or oterwise.

I am very pleased with the purchase so far, very nice to paddle - and handle, over all a real joy to use and safe and was well worth the exercise.

As for a plastic one of these I would shy away from one myself as I said earlier the glass hull is stiffer and does not flex and loose momentum as a plastic ship does, Is lighter and more easily repaired or added to, plus the fittings and hatches are awsome quality pieces and it just shines fine lines and qualty.

And really if you want to paddle and fish then this is the yak you will fall in love with.
Very very stable (sit sideways - can sit on round hatch behind seat and fish etc) as these are made for the African coast lines which are harsh.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 9:50pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for your info mrcar. Once can only dream of how slippery she is through the water. No big green waves catching you up on the way back in and giving you an early shower.

If I was living with my old man I might have even have tried to make one myself (with expert supervision for the old man). In fact a foam sandwich one would even be on the cards. Now that would be the dogs bollacks I recon - still light as but as stiff a stiff thing on a very stiff day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 7:19pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Watch this space JB, your Dad may still have some input to a special fishing kayak even without you. We have backdoor access to FY's glassing facilities and if our proposed project goes ahead and we need any custom stainless fittings, we'll be sure to call on his expertise.

DogFish

I only fish on days ending with a "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2006 at 10:30pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dogfish, The old man works for me so please send any cheques or cash to be my home address. I'm sure he would be into a little project here it there. His current one is a land yacht that you stand up on (don' t know how he's going to ride it though but can guarantee hes going to crash it sometime).

He's also done a bit of glassing himself ( a few trailer sailers from in the back shed) so might be able to help.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 7:07pm
saffa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys

I brought my South African fishing "ski" (as they are called over there) out here with me in the container. When I was there, they were retailing for around R2500 to R3000 (??) exchange rate is roughly 4.5:1.

The fishing ski's there weigh in at 25-30kg. The need to be very strong to take the hammering of getting dumped in BIG surf, which can prevent you from launching on a regular occasions-however the brave/foolish try anyway to reach the untouched waters behind the backline, while the cautious stand and watch the carnage!

Since most launching is done through4ft surf +, and you almost always have to punch some waves (either the first shore break or the last ones at backline - depending on how well you time your mad dash for the breakers), due to this and the fact you could well end up swimming back to shore to fetch your ski, they now encorporate a PVC tube into the central fish hatch (which in itself is massive to hold large numbers of game fish), but the tube runs right to the bow and enables you to put some decent size rods/spearguns stowed safely in the hatch. This avoids sand and water getting into your reels if washed back to the beach.

The most popular manufactures are listed below, and Im sure Stealth has local (AUS?) distributors.

http://www.stealthpp.co.za/

Mine is a stealth supalight. Approx 4.3m long, very stable. Drwbacks are not as easy to drill and rivet atachments as plastic yaks, fragile up against the bricks and do not stand up well against incorrectly packed furniture in shipping containers (hence the repair bill at PAddling Perfection)

Vaughan
WORK IS THE CURSE OF THE FISHING FANATIC!
Boat = Stealth Supalight (glass)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bokke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 9:16am
bokke View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

wow you guys look comfortable but how much do those yaks weigh loaded? check out how light these guys fish, and everything is tucked away:

Page  <1234>