Thunnus rear drag too tight

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunnus rear drag too tight
    Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:21pm
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just got a new thunnus 8000 used it about three times. It seems like the rear secondary drag is too tight even when backed right off. My diawa bitenrun can birdsnest itself on its lightest setting. A forum search revealed a possibility of multiple washers (part# 3017). I only have one washer. Removing it definitely loosens the drag. But you end up with metal on metal contact. The washer looks like a thrust washer/spacer, probably ptfe plastic.
Maybe the drag washer is swollen but it has been like it from new.
Maybe I could sand the washer down or make a new thinner one out of brass shim stock.
Dunno, any ideas?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Backed off, to a slight turn up should have no drag.. around 1/4 to 1/2 turn you have drag.
 "new"  take it back to be sorted.

Bait runner shimarno and okuma dont work/ adjust quite like it is obvious when look at them with covers off...and it may not be adjustment, could very well be a faulty clip thingy in the back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:55pm
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, guess ill take it back and compare it to some other ones. If there all the same, its probably just me.
I have however found some brass washers from the hardware store that are almost the same dimensions as the original , even the same thickness 0.8mm. I sanded the brass washer down to 0.5mm with wet and dry sandpaper, from 400 -2000 grit, then polished to a high lustre. A thin layer of lube and installed it.
It made a marked difference. Im guessing gaining the last 10-15% of drag before total disengagement.
It will birds nest a little bit as the clicker is quite strong.
The longevity of this remains to be seen and of course voids the warranty.