Solo Boat Launching

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo Boat Launching
    Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 11:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Done a forum search nothing comes up but know there is a couple threads way bay on the subject.. think from memory included in other subject threads,

Any way  What is the best way to do so?
 5.5m  1100/1200kg  cabin boat,  Keel trailer with guide posts at the rear, on and off  at a ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:39pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If going solo I consider - ramp if no pontoons 2 anchors (main plus spare) to hold while parking trailer.  If pontoons spare rope on bow to help feed boat slowly into water and one at back to tie off to pontoon as well (stops boat swinging out).  Dress expecting to get wetter as may have to wade in particularly retrieving and don't have phone or keys in pocket!  Weather - don't want a lot of wind blowing boat, tide and swell (at Little huia incoming tide some surge then) & how busy ramp will be as unfair to other users if a peak time particularly off loading.  Tie boat off at end of pontoon before parking trailer so another user can launch in meantime.
Call club and arrange a helping hand beforehand if launching from your usual spot?
Have seen online some self locking systems where you can drive onto trailer and locks boat on - not keen personally on them as would be running motor in shallow/dirty water at ramp.

I know Snapper Geoff pre warms engine (runs on muffs before leaving as lives 2mins from beach) so no hassle getting motor going but he is launching from a West Coast beach and has to get through waves pronto.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 4:15pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All tide ramp with pontoons..inside break water , sheltered from prevailing winds.. and  Easterlies  that just dont suit going fishing in the area anyway.
Call club and arrange a helping hand beforehand if launching from your usual spot?

usually the club ppls days off, and bit much to ask the office lady.. if in their working hrs..anyway .. If club members around, they are always willing to help.. which negates the"solo launch"thing

If pontoons spare rope on bow to help feed boat slowly into water
Hmm low tide not alot slope.. 5.5 1200kg keel rollers.. once the boat start to roll back, no way one want t stop it..or risk doing so.
If stops then have o climb down the trailer t get it moving again.. if tide low boat more level.. only way to move is climb back in the truck, roll back 1/2 m hit break and it will then side again...
 Yep rollers are all greased maintained etc..

one at back to tie off to pontoon as well (stops boat swinging out)..
 ok see that..but stop swinging out?? that would have to be tied off about 5.5/ 6m behind...once the boat is off will be next to where tired off, 6m slack to move..
am I missing something here?

Have seen online some self locking systems where you can drive onto trailer and locks boat on
Bit of a chicken to do that.. get the line up a couple inches wrong on a keel trailer and you have just ripped out the keel on the trailer roller frames.
 And a lot ramps frown.. ban that because digs big holes at the end of the ramp trailer drop their wheels over, , mud guards get bent back onto the tyres etc.

I know Snapper Geoff pre warms engine

I always check/ run engine evening before or just before leaving.. , always fires well

ramp if no pontoons 2 anchors (main plus spare) to hold while parking trailer.
 Have 'bungy' anchor.. 12m bungy with 20m light warp attached.
motor into ramp, beach, rocks what ever.. drop anchor/ tie off.. reverse up, drop bungy anchor. kill motor, pull boat up to tie off/ anchor.. bungy stretches a good 9/ 10ms. jump out, let boat go.
 Real sweet for parking very close in on rocks fish /dive etc.. except keep bungy stretched.

You have got me thinking down a different line now Mac Thumbs Up
  boat on the trailer.
A bungy 'warp' off the stern bollard... boat 5.5m..tie off stretched out 5.5 to 6m to pontoon behind boat...simply let the boat go (or use a rope to slow it against the bungy).. bungy shrinks..stops stern swing, holds the boat...
Hmm depend how much the 5.5m stretch shrinks back to right?
 bit back yard play this weekend then??

now gettin it back on
.. hold the stern straight so lines up with the keel rollers as comes up...
Lining up initially is ok.. bow in self center roller.. hook rope in, hold tight was walk up the trailer plank (keeping feet dry..) start winching up...
 If the stern swings a little, before boat is in the 1st 3 rollers, it will come up over the roller frames ... how to hold the stern straight till then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 6:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

If pontoons spare rope on bow to help feed boat slowly into water
Hmm low tide not alot slope.. 5.5 1200kg keel rollers.. once the boat start to roll back, no way one want t stop it..or risk doing so.
If stops then have o climb down the trailer t get it moving again.. if tide low boat more level.. only way to move is climb back in the truck, roll back 1/2 m hit break and it will then side again...
 Yep rollers are all greased maintained etc..

You know how freely boat rolls off and slope - one part of ramp at little Huia at high tide is quite steep - boat flies off.
Of course before soloing at any ramp you would do with others on hand first anyway.

one at back to tie off to pontoon as well (stops boat swinging out)..
 ok see that..but stop swinging out?? that would have to be tied off about 5.5/ 6m behind...once the boat is off will be next to where tired off, 6m slack to move..
am I missing something here?
My boat often swings out from pontoon depending on wind etc can be a pain to get back alongside if on your own - also you are tying boat up at 2 POINTS (front and back of boat) while parking trailer so it will be there when you get back - remember you expect to only be a few minutes but anything can and will happen.
Have seen online some self locking systems where you can drive onto trailer and locks boat on
Bit of a chicken to do that.. get the line up a couple inches wrong on a keel trailer and you have just ripped out the keel on the trailer roller frames.
 And a lot ramps frown.. ban that because digs big holes at the end of the ramp trailer drop their wheels over, , mud guards get bent back onto the tyres etc.
Yes I don't like idea of driving on either.
You have got me thinking down a different line now Mac Thumbs Up
  boat on the trailer.
A bungy 'warp' off the stern bollard... boat 5.5m..tie off stretched out 5.5 to 6m to pontoon behind boat...simply let the boat go (or use a rope to slow it against the bungy).. bungy shrinks..stops stern swing, holds the boat...
Hmm depend how much the 5.5m stretch shrinks back to right?
 bit back yard play this weekend then??
Yes interesting idea - also gives you a second tie of point if you drop or break front rope and also ensuring you don't bump someone else.

now gettin it back on
.. hold the stern straight so lines up with the keel rollers as comes up...
Lining up initially is ok.. bow in self center roller.. hook rope in, hold tight was walk up the trailer plank (keeping feet dry..) start winching up...
 If the stern swings a little, before boat is in the 1st 3 rollers, it will come up over the roller frames ... how to hold the stern straight till then?
Yes getting boat back on can be tricky if adverse conditions - would be interested on what others have come up with - the only thing I have found is to engage winch ratchet so rope doesn't pay out - line up bring a bit closer line up again wind a bit more, line up again a lot of backwards and forwards though until once started and tracking is fine just getting it started.  Having a grooved first  roller on trailer or have first roller low so bow sits on it can help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:13pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been spoilt with my GPS Minn Kota with anchor lock and hand held remote.

Just launch it with a rope, drop motor down and push away, motor a few metres away, press anchor lock then go and park trailer.

Coming back in de the reverse but sit at the bow steering until its time to jump off.

Great to watch the spectators reaction at Takapuna. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Just launch it with a rope, drop motor down and push away, motor a few metres away, press anchor lock then go and park trailer.

Coming back in de the reverse but sit at the bow steering until its time to jump off.

I think it is a great idea but I wouldn't trust it to hold while I park trailer - what happens if it stops or you drop remote and break it?
Is there a plan B?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:01pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can get a self centring spring loaded roller system. Fits onto the back of the trailer and has a long roller on both sides that the spring pulls together. Might be the answer for your trailer steps hold the boat in line with the keel rollers. eziguide boat rollers, they are a bit pricey though.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/ark-eziguide-trailer-roller-kit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:25pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a brand new set for sale!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:25pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its easy steps.Just race down the ramp,hit brakes,boat in water,preferably cabin up. Jump in and off.
Well maybe not. Just find a ramp with good pontoons,enough depth at all tides. A bow rope and stern rope. Fasten boat to cleats ,park up. Back to boat. Remove ropes before motoring off. Important. Easy to forget that. Then  Off fishing.Total peace and quiet.and as many rods out as you want.Same process coming back.
Pontoons are great as nothing under them to prang the prop into .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:48pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

I think it is a great idea but I wouldn't trust it to hold while I park trailer - what happens if it stops or you drop remote and break it?
Is there a plan B?

It holds anchor whilst we fish all of the time so why wouldn't it hold near the ramp where its calmer. These things have a big range and we are only talking 30 metres. It will take hours for it to stop unlike a petrol engine that can stop unexpectedly. Remote is on a lanyard around your neck. Plan b is swim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can get a self centring spring loaded roller system. Fits onto the back of the trailer and has a long roller on both sides that the spring pulls together. Might be the answer for your trailer steps hold the boat in line with the keel rollers. eziguide boat rollers, they are a bit pricey though.

looked at those a while back.. they center the bow to line up.. thats not a problem... I walk down the planks, hook the winch line, hole tight held and lined up nice.. at the bow... it is the stern that swings off line..
 Im not sure if those spring things will hold , or have the strength to swing the whole boat back onto line..
 And the price..

would love a GPS Minn Kota again price.. do theory have their own gps system or do they connect to the boats system?  again price thu

Thinking thu...if stern swings away from pontoon, a  rope of the stern cleat, to pontoon, at an angle to the bow...that holds stern for enough time to hit next couple rollers and stable direction... and if say 3m rope just over 1/3 boat length, then can pull boat right up then , unhook the stern rope from pontoon.
Problem remains if stern swings to the pontoon..

And same method same length rope when slide the boat off.
 5.5m boat, tied off 3m behind boat, boat slides off, as rope comes up to the end, it pulls back into the pontoon....
A 2nd one from the bow cleat...again 3m tied off just after reat of trailer.
 Slide boat off, boat tied off , bow and stern , against the pontoon, drive way and park. 
 next boat lines up, backs down... in therory bu the time they ready to slide off, Im moving our boat down the pontoon  without holding them up...
 thats right up the list.

Maybe a bungy shock cord??   same bungy rope top end of the bungy anchor??/ or also use for sea anchor shock cord???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:48pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tie a loop rope on back bollard and front of boat with long rope off the front...
Pull the pin and watch the boat roll off the trailer hold onto rope hop up on ramp pontoons tie off rear and front with looped rope... done
Plus buy on of these....[IMG][/IMG]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:51pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[IMG][/IMG]
Not sure why image is not loading
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

go to "post reply" not quick reply
 browse to pic on your computer.
 upload
ok
 If pic is too big . ie megs, crop it/ re size  say longest side 600 then upload.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:21am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get yourself one of these Steps.

Iv used one and it works a treat.  You reverse the boat till its nearly afloat then park the car, climb aboard your boat.  Start the motor and as soon as you give it a nudge in forward the catch releases.  You reverse the boat of the trailer.  dock the boat and go park your car away.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:40am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just looking online and their looks to be a few versions now available?

Hate to say "steal an idea"  but this one by Bar Crusher looks like something you could make up yourself at home? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:01pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Note that the demo has 2 ppl.. thu as you explain can be done by 1
 but a lot of time messing around.
 Reverse down.. climb out of truck oup onto boat on trailer, set motor, fire up, back off, close down motor etc, tie off bow and stern, climb down to truck, drive out...
 Then retrieve.. much the same.. note this is a keel trailer and as I said above, lining up blind with the motor, dead on the center oller, and exact in line with keel roller.. blind.. get it wrong and you have stuffed, the keel, and even more getting off to line up again...
 Sry dont have the balls to believe I can do it every time, in winds under all conditions including night time.
 A roller trailer where drive in , most of the way up the trailer , ide roller center up... very different.

One thing that gets right up my nose at a ramp.. ppl who screw around..
This can be just
 unthoughtful, not thought thru, and thoughtless to others, disorganisation
 or say a 4m plus keel boat/trailer  with a elcheapo 1.6m per minute winch.
  back trailer down, climb up on the pontoon, into the boat (assuming have a pontoon..) drop motor, fire up, back off, , get out, tie off boat  bow and stern so doesnt swing.. back to the truck and park...

The Boat Catch
And all assuming the ramp allows.. many dont.. firing up engines and digging out the mud off the end of the concret for trailers at low tide to drop their wheels over..
 With one person

At the moment. we pul in, line up.. drop quick release strops off the back , take motor off hydrolic carrier, remove prop rag, .. back down... crew goes to the pontoon to hold the (perminant) bow rope..the shackle and hook by then. push.. walking back to truck as boat moves.. fire truck.. go park. pull hook out of the to rear of trailer... 2 turns left on spool.
 All over in 2 mins.
Retrieve. everything stowed for road at sea... pull up to pontoon, crew ties off, goes gets truck..backs down...walks down trailer plank, picks up hook, puts in bow hook.. holds rope tight , holding bow in centring roller, crew hold stern lined up by the peminent  semi stretch ropes between stern and bow, runing down top gunnels, on each side.. couple winds to pull boat up so stable lined up on 2nd/ 3rd roller... reaches into back f truck , gets out the 18v drill puts on winch, boat comes up faster than can wind it.. about 60 sec for 5m... shackle in.. all in truck and up to wash down.

Yep solo a little longer...but still in reasonable time frame.

Still have to work out the geometry of the bungy/ stern/ bow to pontoon mentioned above.
 basically as above 2ppl, but instead the bow and stern are tied off to the pontoon  BEFORE the boat slides off...boat slides off, jump in truck, drive up and park...

OR thinking out allowed.. tie off just stern,  leave winch hook on.. slide boat off.. rope length has bow a couple feet from end of trailer..  down trailer plank unhook bow.. rope ready for retrieve..
 Hmm still need to tie off bow before parking up...
 nup means extra climb up on pontoon and climb down..Thumbs Down
 back to bungy off bow stern method  before boat slides off.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

basically as above 2ppl, but instead the bow and stern are tied off to the pontoon  BEFORE the boat slides off...boat slides off, jump in truck, drive up and park...

that would be most impressive to watch if it comes off Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going to come out with us when 'trial ' it? Mac?

Frasher.. the demo vids look good.. notice how he can come in at angle to the trailer ...I CANT DO THAT with a keel trailer... boat NEEDS to hit the centering roller spot on  and NEEDS to have the boat stern lined up as comes OVER  the centering roller and come down on the next keel rollers. at the end of the trailer.. not 1/2 to 2/3rd of the way up as with a roller or skid trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best thing I did was put a jamming cleat on top of the winch. As you pull the boat onto the trailer, lock the painter off in the cleat. Then stroll down and hook up the winch
Page  12>