Possum Bully

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possum Bully
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:48am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Been stocking up on wet flies for next Tongariro trip.    My new pattern consist of marabou tail with stiff mono stump to stop wrapping, possum fur layered in three lots to create body and flash to add a bit of sparkle.    Pattern is added with brown Sharpie felt pen.    Fly looks the same from every angle.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:07pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Lookin' good Herb.
Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:50pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have been intrigued with possum fur ever since I saw John Sierpinski using it on his flies to get the transparent look through the crinkled fibre.     Much undervalued material.    It provides a body without bulking up the fly.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

You & me both Herb.

Photo I just took is an original Sierpinski, from my collection.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 4:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work, Herb, and thanks for that post, Uncle.

Herb, i reckon that would be great as a bottom fly when you're jigging at Rotoiti - given it a try there?

I avidly read John S' book on Taupo when I was younger, seemed to be a guy who went his own way rather than following everyone else - flies included.

Uncle, Am i right in saying that his original fly was tied with possum tail though the body, rather than the main pelt that Herb appears to be using?

My best night ever at Okataina was using basically that fly but with lumo material in the body wraps. Possum tied sparsely. I outfished everyone on the main beach that night, nailing fish after fish when the others really struggled. I don't think i was doing anything different, other than fly.

I like tying a 'bomb' in Hare & Copper style, but substituting brownish possum - lovely translucency when wet, and i actually prefer it to hare fur. When I saw a differently coloured possum on the road in winter time that had just been donged and flung aside, i always grabbed it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:35pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Uncle   That's the one.    He also used body fur sparsely for the same "par" effect.   I tied my more dense "Burglar Style"

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

One of my versions, this one tied with black rabbit fur.
I called it "The Growler".

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I tied these Sirpinsky flies quite a few years ago and cant think I ever used them.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:23pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Would be hard to differentiate those from Sierpinski's originals Herb.
Should give them a run?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

When the possum fur is in the water it becomes translucent allowing the body to shine through but still retains its overall body shape.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:37pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got plenty of possum fur if you guys want sum.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:03pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yes thanks.
Will talk to you later Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:06pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't tried tying flies, still working out shoe laces
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:08pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Velcro mate, that's all you need to knowLOL