Information Required

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brufish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Information Required
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:11pm
Brufish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have just purchased a Shimano Thunnus ci4 4000 reel, I want to know if anyone has any suggestions of what rod to pair this reel up with?

I am wanting to do Straylining, Lure casting type fishing, mainly for snapper.  

Any suggestions out there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Ci4 Thunnus is a nice reel.

There a few retailers are selling the Thunnus range paired up with Shimano Shadow X Nano rods as stray-lining combos. 

The new Shimano Carbolite in 6-10kg would be worth a look, but there are lots of options in that weight range to pair with that reel, depending upon your budget.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a Thunnus matched to a Terez rod. While there will be some better stuff around for that class of reel I think it's a good rod for the price. I've yet to hook a fish yet where I wished for something better. I have the same reel on a cheaper Shimano rod and I hardly use it now but when I bought it I was happy. It comes down to budget. If you have $300+ to spend the world is your oyster ( or scallop):) )

Value for money I think it's a good set up. Admittedly my set is an 8000 but I'm sure it all works out across the range. Having said that I see no reason whatsoever to match a rod brand and reel.

One of my favourite sets is a Stradic 4000 on a Daiwa Coastal rod.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:10pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you want to cast lures, you are better off with a rod designed for lure fishing (not necessarily an expensive one) and using that for bait fishing rather than the other way around. Just my opinion. 

A 4000 size reel isn't huge, but man enough for big snapper and kingies under the right circumstances. It is important to find a rod that balances the reel. As suggested above, a 6 - 10 kg rod (or even lighter) would be good. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

If you want to cast lures, you are better off with a rod designed for lure fishing (not necessarily an expensive one) and using that for bait fishing rather than the other way around. Just my opinion. 

A 4000 size reel isn't huge, but man enough for big snapper and kingies under the right circumstances. It is important to find a rod that balances the reel. As suggested above, a 6 - 10 kg rod (or even lighter) would be good. 

I have to agree with Boosh but as I said it comes down to budget. Also have to say that a 4000 will handle a little legal king and will deal to any snapper in most situations.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have mine on a okuma nano matrix
And the shamano 4000 on the older version of the okuma nano.
Both stray line and throw soft baits light lures fine.
 Both my go tos unless get into strong curents and sinkers get over 4oz.
 They dont get cast , rather 'tossed".. that sort of weight are not good for light rods... specs on the side of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brufish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 9:36am
Brufish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I have decided to go for the Shimano Carbolite 7ft 1 piece 6-10kg.
Possibly more than I was expecting to pay- but worth I think.
Thanks again.
Tight lines!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 7:30am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey steps I have the nano matrix also and I think the rod is great value for money..
I have a 4000 ci4 on it and have taken good fish and many of them beside my mate who fishes Shimano backbone elite and we are matched pretty well in terms of hookup/durability as far as we can tell.
I purchased a nano matrix 250g jigging rod and snapped it though! On a 80cm fish! Second ever hook up.
Must have been a faulty one.
I returned it and Okuma very nicely have given me the metaloid but it's a stouter rod and not very attractive.
Yet to fish it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont think rod really . bottom line make a huger difference to skills.. its more the ability easy of cast,  ease working the fish back.. and the durabity over something very  red shed cheap..
 Funny you mention nano matrix jigging snap...in last couple weeks had several ppl have that....and okuma replaced no questions... several cases didnt even have to send back from the shop.
 Sort of indicates to me there is a known issue with maybe a certain batch of rods ... just a batch because others, and replacements have been solid..
 batch faulty blanks or maybe wrong blanks used (???)