5.5m great white sighted in Whangarei harbour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.5m great white sighted in Whangarei harbour
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:01pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

on my patch, just in time for scallop season too. always focuses the mind!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 4:19pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

water getting warmer,maybe going to pup?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:50pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spooked a diver the Herald says.Defacated in wetsuit would have been more of an appropriate description.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:48pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peach Cove isn't in the harbour but I might just be a woos and stay dry for another couple of weeks. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:35pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didnt "bruce" that big white hang out in that area?
If you see it and eyeball it......it probably doesnt want to eat you....its just curious.....but you would need to stay cool and not panic.....keep your heart rate down.....they can detect if you are shtting yourself !(your heart rate)Wink
sounds more like a 6 m white.....Big mother.

Interesting bit of advice....but finding shelter in the ocean is not so easy.=
"If divers encounter a great white they should try to find shelter, assess its behaviour and once it has departed either swim to shore along the bottom or try to surface directly under the hull of the boat so as to minimise the amount of time they are silhouetted against the surface."
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where are my scallops dammit Dougie!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Peach Cove isn't in the harbour but I might just be a woos and stay dry for another couple of weeks. 

G'mon Auw get that wet suit on and get our scallies! you're too old and tough that shark would run a mile once it gets a whiff of your scentLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:31pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Probably a female(they grow bigger than males).....Probably pregnant(which is fortunate for the diver because they dont eat when pregnant)........I wouldnt want to be around after she has given birth !...Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:40am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

true. there is nothing more aggressive than a new mother. a new mother the size of a bus with massive teeth is quite a terrifying prospect!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 4:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

true. there is nothing more aggressive than a new mother. a new mother the size of a bus with massive teeth is quite a terrifying prospect!
I really must look up how long the gestation period is for a great white ......Not long enough for us humansLOL
I think they give birth in the manakau....from what i remember.Wink
     I read a pretty horrific article the other day from a few years back.......two young guys were spearfishing off the coast in Perth.WA where i am.......they were practicing for a comp coming up.......one of them dived down and as he went down he was bitten clean in half at the waist...on the drop.....Poor boy....what a way to go.....
     Whenever i have dived....I have always wanted to get down and off the surface asap......the surface is not a good place to be....down there you are just another fish.
      However ....you look at the correlation between great white attacks in nz to aussie........hardly any in nz...pretty rare but in WA is been going on........Nobody knows the estimated numbers in the wild in wa....they are protected too......but there are attacks by bronzies/tigers etc over here.........maybe the warmer water temps are a factor.....sharks abundant in summer here........I think nz does pretty well .........they are around enough...one was caught in a net at waiheke wdead but they released her pups ...approx 5 foot long.
      Far more fish in the sea in nz........fuk all fish around perth. wa.....no wonder they fancy sushi human.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:45pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have similar thoughts LBD. I've been a keen diver for a while, so pay attention to these things. I remember the incident you mention, very sad. Agree with you about the surface. I've spent money to dive with sharks around the world and love the underwater environment, but the surface isn't somewhere I want to be. Regarding NZ versus Oz, if there were more people in the water here, then we would have more incidents, but the smaller population and presumably fewer people getting in the water because it's colder means that the probability of an encounter is smaller. Also agree with you about water temperature and shark behaviour.

Just had a message from a friend to say he wants to take me out on his boat for a few scallops at the weekend. Think I'll go. If I take a long time to reply to further comments, it's because I'm typing with one arm Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:51am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gestation period is for a great white,about 11 months and can give birth up to 10 at a time. Mavis Brambly?? " Sea Cockies of the Manukau" they hanging around tipitai(cake island) to give birth. apparently  have never been filmed birthing,a lot is still unknown about them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:29am
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting comments guys........Great whites get around......More than i thought......common in indian/pacific/mediteranian........even in aussie they do a huge migration every year from over east and across the southern bite(i think its called).....up and a around perth and as far north as exmouth......but plenty hang around Adelaide way.Lovely beach but nobody goes in ! 
     Unfortunately......over here the great white are protected and the fishery has been hammered by comms.....even over east...fishos along the coast struggle to land fish off the bricks because they get hammered by sharks.....typically one in 5 getting landed...i witnessed that when i fished over there......Catching tunas off the bricks......and yet shark numbers are hammered for their fins........there are plenty in aussie waters and i believe nz fishos have been getting hassled more by them now as well........pretty common in fish and chip shops over here.....tastes pretty horrible too.Ermm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:37am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote graham 99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:04am
graham 99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i can't help thinking shark numbers = seal numbers .
just my thought's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:03pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When we went fishing there were 6 seals on the rocks just along from Peach Cove towards Smugglers???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 9:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This year, I’ve seen more seals in/around the harbour than previous years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 3:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Wow...what a story and a big ups to that man(got some balls) ....sounds like she was just playing with him....having a look for future referenceLOL...He was lucky she was up the duff or he would have been lunch !Ouch