Which jigs?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which jigs?
    Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:50pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,

I'm heading out for a fish this weekend in and around the Gulf. Anyway, i really want to give slow jigging a go. I'm a complete newbie to this type of fishing so my question is....if you were to take out 2 jigs only what would they be. what style, weight etc. I'm thinking current might be a big factor where we'll be fishing. Basically I just wanna buy a couple of jigs and give it a go. Is it a good time of year to be doing it? I'll be using a spin setup.

Thanks in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bornagainfishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 2:13pm
bornagainfishermen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Inchiku 100g to 130g micro jig 40g to 60 g or kabura 100g to 120 g heaps of options for weights and types but thats a start have fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

about 60g will suit most of the gulf. Anchovies are on the menu at the moment, so anything that resembles one, should get smashed 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 2:56pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm a bit further north than you, but if it was just two jigs, orange inchiku in 80 and 100g, no question!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:38pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks guys. really appreciate the advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:46pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Orange Sliders work well and are a easy jig to use and get into this style of fishing, Remember not to strike with these, just keep winding about 1 wind per second until the hook has set, The Jitterbugs work well if your into striking too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 9:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Personally prefer the slow pitch style. You really feel the jigs thumping on the way down as they sink so cool to fish because you feel so much. Seafloor Control, Hots and BlueBlue especially being my favourite to use. I find Inchiku & Slider fishing tame in comparison no doubt they do work well but for my taste not as much fun.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Slow pitch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 6:38am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hornets have been out fishing every jig atm, especially the lumo and orange lumo colours
Check out my website
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:13am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

60g Hornet be okay fishing 20-30m in the gulf?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:47am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Hornets have been out fishing every jig atm, especially the lumo and orange lumo colours
Check out my website

Have you a link to the hornets Kev? as I can't find them...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:19am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:14am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

60g Hornet be okay fishing 20-30m in the gulf?

The 60g will be ok on calm days but 90g is better, i prefer 120g myself as i like my jig to be as vertical as possible
This Hornet model seems best fished similar to a kabura slider, very slow half wind and stop, repeat. Dont strike when you feel bites, keep winding slowly until weight comes on, then a short strike to set hook well if you feel the needLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote charleswilbourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:55pm
charleswilbourn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank's to all for sharing this tips it's very helpful thank's a lot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:09pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

These are worth their bread and butter

6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 2:52pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ha look good - where's the weight to get em down!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 3:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish i fish i wrote:

Bet they work, too! How much did you fork out for them? Smile
My then girlfriend, now wife, got a 10lb snapper on a plain chrome version that was the Diversity charter skipper's party trick out among the spring work ups. Not Damo, one of the young skippers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 6:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

My then girlfriend, now wife, got a 10lb snapper on a plain chrome version that was the Diversity charter skipper's party trick out among the spring work ups. Not Damo, one of the young skippers.

TKK I'm pretty sure it was called the knife jig Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 8:57pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

TKK I'm pretty sure it was called the knife jig Big smile

Clap