Hopefully I picked the right combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hopefully I picked the right combo
    Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 11:07pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just bought my first soft bait/light jig rod and reel combo, main use will be for casting scoots (bucktail jigs) that I make myself as well as using slow jigs, sliders and of course soft baits.

Rod: Penn Ocean assassin 10 - 15kg, 14-60gm lure rating
 https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1401070435&archive=1

Reel: Penn spinfisher V 4500 which I will be spooling with 10kg braid

I was going to combo it up with something like a penn clash 5000 or a slammer 4500 but it fell outside of my budget even with using the new after pay thing that trade me has got going which is how I got this combo. My original plan was to use my ugly stik black tiger which is my dedicated strayline rod and an old slammer 460 I bought off trade me but then had second thoughts and wanted to get a proper set up.

Also just wondering do you guys use mono leaders while softbaiting or just straight braid also do you use swivels or no swivel. I am new to this softbait and light jigging thing so still learning in this department as all of my saltwater fishing has been bait only

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 7:55am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Hunter. No comment on the rod or reel but I always run a 2m leader of 20lb fluro tied to the braid with a back to back uni. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:05am
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Always tie the braid to mono/fluro as Cliff mentions, my preferred knot is the FG knot but some work involved with that, but very strong, lots of other options also, just google.
No swivels, the weight albeit small will have an adverse effect on the action of your jig and make casting much harder.

Not familiar with the rod, but generally for softbaiting you want a lighter rod, 4-6 or 6-8kg with a 2500 sized reel or similar in my opinion, although i am sure your one will work well too, can always be used as an extra strayline combo too.

PS - good skills on the scoots - any photos? Need to teach myself how to tie these. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:06pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi hunter

Your OA Penn rod is more like a strayline rod but it will do the job like anything else, when softbaiting / casting all day it can get a little tiring so a lighter rod would be the go - what you want is either the Abu Veritas 6'8 or 7'3 4-8kg these are the new 3.0 Veritas due out now but if money is hard look for a special on the old 2.0 7ft 4-8kg model...

If you want to keep it as a full Penn set the new Penn Ocean Insurgents are due out with a dedicated softbait rod in that range 7ft 4-7kg...

With the 4500SSV it is small enough to get away with and with any of those rods - they are bullet proof so you'll have no issues with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 6:41pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by gmacx gmacx wrote:

Always tie the braid to mono/fluro as Cliff mentions, my preferred knot is the FG knot but some work involved with that, but very strong, lots of other options also, just google.
No swivels, the weight albeit small will have an adverse effect on the action of your jig and make casting much harder.

Not familiar with the rod, but generally for softbaiting you want a lighter rod, 4-6 or 6-8kg with a 2500 sized reel or similar in my opinion, although i am sure your one will work well too, can always be used as an extra strayline combo too.

PS - good skills on the scoots - any photos? Need to teach myself how to tie these. 

I won't try the FG knot did it once and failed I generally use the slim beauty knot for tying my leaders to the mainline and it is a knot that has stood up to the test for me and goes through the guides without catching on them while casting and has stood up to the abuse fighting fish and eagle rays in the surf.

Heres some pics of those scoots for ya the top one is probably the best one I have done so far. they are easy to do if you can tie a trout fly or a flasher rig you are already on your way

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 6:57pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by fishwisperer fishwisperer wrote:

Hi hunter

Your OA Penn rod is more like a strayline rod but it will do the job like anything else, when softbaiting / casting all day it can get a little tiring so a lighter rod would be the go - what you want is either the Abu Veritas 6'8 or 7'3 4-8kg these are the new 3.0 Veritas due out now but if money is hard look for a special on the old 2.0 7ft 4-8kg model...

If you want to keep it as a full Penn set the new Penn Ocean Insurgents are due out with a dedicated softbait rod in that range 7ft 4-7kg...

With the 4500SSV it is small enough to get away with and with any of those rods - they are bullet proof so you'll have no issues with it...

Just as I feared about the rod it was advertised as the following by the retailer on trade me "Ultra strong yet very light general spin or jig soft bait rod"

I used the new afterpay service to get the rod and reel so already made my first payment on it and if that were the case I may as well have used the black tiger that I strayline with. Always drooled over the spinfisher V reels so it was on my bucket list to buy one anyway and the 4500 sort of fit the bill for me in drag rating and being able to stick it on my strayline rod and do straylining with it too

So how do you work out the PE rating as it says it is rated at PE 1.5 - 3.

I was looking at going down the veritas route seeing I have two of the veritas surfcasters but then decided it would be nice to have my penn reels on penn rods as I am trying to slowly phase out the jarvis walker pro series rods and the okuma sensor tip rod I stupidly bought due to being over excited about getting my first boat and busted my boiler to get out on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:08am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

Hi hunter

Just as I feared about the rod it was advertised as the following by the retailer on trade me "Ultra strong yet very light general spin or jig soft bait rod"

I used the new afterpay service to get the rod and reel so already made my first payment on it and if that were the case I may as well have used the black tiger that I strayline with. Always drooled over the spinfisher V reels so it was on my bucket list to buy one anyway and the 4500 sort of fit the bill for me in drag rating and being able to stick it on my strayline rod and do straylining with it too

I was looking at going down the veritas route seeing I have two of the veritas surfcasters but then decided it would be nice to have my penn reels on penn rods as I am trying to slowly phase out the jarvis walker pro series rods and the okuma sensor tip rod I stupidly bought due to being over excited about getting my first boat and busted my boiler to get out on it.

Don't fret to much hunter as the OA is a nice rod - not to heavy as well - it will do what you want it to do and you may find once your using it and hooking into some nice fish it may suit...I use mine for straylining and transfer over to softbaiting sometimes if needed as well so can be done...

I'm just stuck in that you need to have different rods for different occasions - it will work for you...

Dropping down to the Vtas they are just built purposely for that kind of fishing - a lot more slim lined, smaller guides etc

If you do try and it feels a little unbalanced but want to keep with Penn, as stated above there will be a new purpose built softbait rod in the Ocean Insurgent range coming out now... You could always flick the Assassin on and grab that but I would try it first you maybe surprised...

Although the BT you have are great rods and pretty much bullet proof it would be a lot heavier and booty than the Assassin so the Assassin is a lot better to use for throwing your little jigs and softbaiting...

PE ratings are hard to go by as different mods and makes and lengths - I just go off 1-3 sim to a 6-10kg in the strayline type rod  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 6:57pm
Gold
Gold

Hi hunter

Don't fret to much hunter as the OA is a nice rod - not to heavy as well - it will do what you want it to do and you may find once your using it and hooking into some nice fish it may suit...I use mine for straylining and transfer over to softbaiting sometimes if needed as well so can be done...

I'm just stuck in that you need to have different rods for different occasions - it will work for you...

Dropping down to the Vtas they are just built purposely for that kind of fishing - a lot more slim lined, smaller guides etc

If you do try and it feels a little unbalanced but want to keep with Penn, as stated above there will be a new purpose built softbait rod in the Ocean Insurgent range coming out now... You could always flick the Assassin on and grab that but I would try it first you maybe surprised...

Although the BT you have are great rods and pretty much bullet proof it would be a lot heavier and booty than the Assassin so the Assassin is a lot better to use for throwing your little jigs and softbaiting...

PE ratings are hard to go by as different mods and makes and lengths - I just go off 1-3 sim to a 6-10kg in the strayline type rod  

Like you I am also the different rods for different things type of person. 
I think I have something like 9 rods and reels sitting in the rod stand in the spare bedroom people think I am trying to start a blimmin tackle shop but they all get used I just have to make up my mind the night before I go fishing on which ones I am going to take and put them on the boat. 
Once I get gear I really want I never part with them unless they are just el cheapos then they get put on TM which is what I did with two brand new tica reels I won at a fishing tournament I just kept the rods. 
So once I see the ocean invader  that will be my next rod acquisition and it will get paired up with a slammer 3 over two separate purchases, my other half wants to try out soft baiting and casting lures as well so once I get another combo then she will get to use the one I just bought but she has to break the habit of holding the rod right on the butt section where it can be ripped out of her hand by a good hard hit from a decent fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:01pm
Gold
Gold

my combo arrived today the rod feels really nice and comfortable in the hand and still nice and light with the SSV 4500 on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 8:07pm
Gold
Gold

What is everyone's opinion on black magic rainbow braid it seems to be the only braid I can find local to me that is in 300M spools as I want to spool up the reel over the weekend so it is ready to go for the next weekend that is not raining.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:22pm
Gold
Gold

I got to try out the ocean assassin/SSV4500 combo on the weekend tried casting one of my scoots on a 17.5 gram mustad darter jighead and by god that rod could cast that lure out a fair way with bugger all effort I was stoked with that but never got to hook a fish on it but it will happen

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:29pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sweet, nice jigs u got there. thinking to make some myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:13pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by eynon eynon wrote:

sweet, nice jigs u got there. thinking to make some myself.

Thanks for the compliment on the jigs mate I have actually flogged those ones off on trademe and tying much better looking ones now that I have more materials to play with

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The rod and reel will be fine. You could go flasher for a whole lot more money but your set will be fine. I put BM braid on one of my reels, it wasn't the rainbow stuff. I don't like it. I like JBraid and Suffix 832

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:15pm
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What is everyone's opinion on black magic rainbow braid it seems to be the only braid I can find local to me that is in 300M spools as I want to spool up the reel over the weekend so it is ready to go for the next weekend that is not raining.
Stay away from the softer braids like suffix 832 etc for spin reels (prone to wind knots) and get a stiffer braid suited for casting. I've been using 5kg black magic fibre glide line on my softbait setup since stren microfuse isn't available anymore and it's nice, very strong and thin. Heard good things about tasline elite braid and I'll be trying some of that next. Don't go for 20lb braid that's way too heavy, it'll take you forever to get down and it'll affect the action of your softbaits. 10lb is plenty. Most braids over tests meaning 10lb braid doesn't break at 10lb of pressure but more like 30lb of pressue. I do know that fireline exceed is stated breaking strain so take note of that. Generally you only run about 2-3kg of drag on a softbait setup.
FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-