New PENN International reels (Gold only)

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:18am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Which style silent anti-reverse are they using? Eared dogs or using the actuator/spring thing off the drive shaft?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:01am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Rozboon
Ok for the silent anti reverse system they are using 2 x eared dogs with small small spring assist to ensure solid connection with ratchet plate teeth, looks solid however I would have preferred to see a big anti reverse bearing and sealed handle shaft like Alutecnos have used for years with no issues , time will tell. cheers for your interest guys Swordfishsteve

REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 9:57am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ok see this U tube link for more info:
https://youtu.be/_lvgcLbmLD8

hope this info help anyone interested in the new Penn VI series reels, call in for a look at Reelrepairguy Auckland or call me 021 975 471 anytime, cheers swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 3:35pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great catch up with Swordfish Steve (reel repair guy) - Steve popped into work with a new 50VISW pulled apart so we put this little vid together.

Steve goes over the internals of the new International reels as he puts the new 50VISW back together.....

I've just brought myself the little 12VISX and can't wait to get out and give it run through it's paces - also will be purchasing a 20VISX in hope Steve can get me hooked up to a Marlin or two this season Wink maybe even a Sword - That'll put it to the test Big smile...

Cheers guys hope you enjoyed and given you a few answers on them...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:42pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It  seems the answer to my question is,Yes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:33am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Widerange, Yes the New Penn 50 VI series reel does have a New Design Clicker, so yes yes yes, time for you to upgrade those old Tiagras eh?

cheers for all your interest guys, roll on summer, sick of this **** rain! swordfishsteve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Time for a bump as the new season Marlin approach our coastline once again, call in for a look at the New Penn 50 VISW, www.reelrepairguy.co.nz 
cheers swordfishsteveSmile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:46am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Bumpy bump

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rykk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 6:01pm
rykk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - I know this is an old thread, but relevant to me :-). I am looking to replace a Shimano Talica 10 that I lost to a suspected shark while LBG fishing. Wanting to move up to a reel that has broad capability, but mostly for kingi's, both off boat and from rocks. Live bait from rocks or boat, jigging from boat, some casting.

Considering Penn 12VISX, Talica 16ii, Okuma Makaira, Accurate, Avet. What has your experience been with 12VISX?

rykk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:59pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why not try the Talica 16?
Just sold my Makairs 20ii based on weight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rykk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 5:35pm
rykk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Jac - I am actually leaning that way. Am looking at the Makaira 15T SEA - it is very comparable to the Talica 16ii, 2 speed, 40lb drag, 450yds of 80lb braid. The Talica is 25.6oz to the okuma at 29oz. I think the Talica is a great reel, but wanted to try something different and the Mak 15T does get good reviews. Gear ratios are a difference - Talica is 5.7/3.1, Mak is 4.7/2.1. The Talica is a bit more expensive (for the new 2023 model).

Marine Deals does have a good price on the previous generation Talica 16ii, but I understand that the new model has better bearings, better drag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BotStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 12:56pm
BotStomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a 15T, you could jig with it in a pinch but it's quite big and heavy for a jigging reel. For me it is a dedicated livebait set and it does an excellent job of that.
Talica 16 is too wide for jigging.
I'd look at a Makaira 10.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rykk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 1:20pm
rykk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for response. I do have a dedicated jigging rig - a Catch JCX3000 on a Catch Kensai rod. This new rig would be more for livebaiting and maybe some light trolling. Found a good deal on the 15T. Think I would like to try it as something different from Talica (its cheaper as well, and has 10yr warranty).

How long have you had the 15T, what line, and what have you caught?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BotStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:12pm
BotStomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've probably had it a year now. It's spooled with 400m of Shimano Ocea 8 PE5 as I wanted thinner line so I could use it for Hapuka when fishing in competitions that don't allow us to use electric reels. 400m maybe half filled the reel, I put a bunch of backing underneath it. When I eventually respool it I'll probably do it with either 60 or 80lb hollowcore.
Caught on it... nothing that has really tested it. Kings to 15kg or so, and a fair bit of bycatch from Puka fishing... Gemmies and some rather large Tope but haven't had a puka on it yet.
I still think a Makaira 10 is probably the go and in hindsight may have been a better option for me. Still got heaps of balls and plenty of line capacity for what I need, lighter and smaller. Honestly with a full spool of hollowcore I'd absolutely back the 15T to deal with a Marlin or a Bluefin without too much trouble; personally I'd compare it to a Talica 20 not a 16.
Page  <12