Sea Anchor Length

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freddy onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Anchor Length
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:41pm
freddy onion View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any advise appreciated on the best length to run your sea anchor out to get a good drift behind a 4.5 m seaforce. If running from the back i would have 2 out. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If running from the back i would have 2 out.??I would of thought having 2 from the stern would indicate a strong tide,if a strong wind having the stern facing the waves/wind I would be concerned about being swamped.
IMO a sea anchor streams from the bow to hold into wind/tide so able to fish from stern.maybe a windless day with a strong tidal flow may consider from the stern.
length would depend on type of sea anchor,trial and error?once open/dragging wouldn't want it to long so vessel can do arc swings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 8:58am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only run my parachute from the stern on one corner... If you use two they could get in the way on a cast or worse on landing a good fish.

Length of line is determined (in my case) by when the chute is lifted to the surface and overpowered, which for me is 15knots...If the line is short it will lift the thing early as wind rises and it will have less grip sooner (once again just my feeling).
Also if it's to short it will get in the way around the boat more.
You will need to get a size that works up to the wind speed and wave height you can comfortably handle then adjust your rope until it all works up to your max sea conditions....I hope this makes sense.

When streaming it off a rear quarter the waves hit a bit more on the corner which helps handle bigger stuff than directly stern on.

If you run it off the bow the lines are always under the boat which sucks.

I do have a shackle on mine so if my engine dies at sea I can clip it to my anchor rope and put it way out off the bow for use as a sea anchor in the traditional sense, slowing drift and keeping the boat head to sea etc while waiting for help/repair.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:14am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a read and you will soon see why stern anchoring is not a good idea.

www.maritimenz.govt.nz/magazines/lookout/issue-37/issue-37-6.asp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe he means a sea anchor or drogue pjc not a bottom anchor....

If not I spent way to long answering his question...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In practice.. well we do.. is drift .. SB or stray line not in the heavy chop /winds , but more in lea of land if chopped up.

And for a 4.5m boat it would only be an idiot that has not check weather forecast, and or heads out into or fishes in heavy chop.

Therefore the parachute is just hung of what ever cnr .. or side to give the drift you want... has a bungy cord section, and as described above by Gary.. length depends on current, wind. You dont want to hanging real deep or floating doing zilge on the surface
 Have a play.. will soon get the feel...or rather see what length is needed to get it to hang in the water to achieve what you want.

PS and turning the engine direction also helps a lot the way the boat drifts and direction
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 8:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

I believe he means a sea anchor or drogue pjc not a bottom anchor....

If not I spent way to long answering his question...
same principle would apply in small low freeboard vessel 4.5m sea force,drogue or parachute type in a chop, I have tried a drogue once in 16ft from a stern cleat and reset from bow,wasnt that keen being stern on too a small chop