Canon EOS 700D upgrade?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canon EOS 700D upgrade?
    Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 6:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok camera geeks I want to upgrade my DSLR , what is recommended?

Stick with Canon or consider Nikon, Pentax, etc?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What are you shooting presently mate?

If you have the dedicated lenses, I'd imagine you'd want to stay with the same brand, although for some money doesn't matter.
(I'm guessing you're in this situationWink)

Narrow it down a bit and give an indication of what you are trying to achieve and perhaps we can get some good info to you.

I can be brutally honest - the lenses are the things that are really important. The body not that much although some might differ on that thought.

FWIW - jump onto the DP Review website and have a read on there. Some very good info and all the latest models.

Good luck mate.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 11:51am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought a new DSLR this year and after reading many reviews the general opinion seemed to be that there wasn't anything to choose between Nikon and Canon in terms of quality.  Just slightly different styling and menu setups, so if you are used to the Canon might be easier to stick with that.  Big question is how much you want to spend, do you want to go full frame or happy to stick with APS-C?  I went with Canon as my daughter has one and it means we can share lenses.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

What are you shooting presently mate?

If you have the dedicated lenses, I'd imagine you'd want to stay with the same brand, although for some money doesn't matter.
(I'm guessing you're in this situationWink)

Narrow it down a bit and give an indication of what you are trying to achieve and perhaps we can get some good info to you.

I can be brutally honest - the lenses are the things that are really important. The body not that much although some might differ on that thought.

FWIW - jump onto the DP Review website and have a read on there. Some very good info and all the latest models.

Good luck mate.

What am I shooting...model or pics?

Model is EOS 700D which is fine but I am told it is entry level with DSLR. 

What do I shoot, anything and everything; scenery, people, closeups, far away, fast moving, varying light levels, creative... I would like to do more with night shots and maybe even time lapse.

So I guess I am still on a learning curve with it. Perhaps the best thing is to get it off automatic and experiment with settings for best image. I understand iso, depth of field, shutter speed... but want to learn more.

I have an 18-55 as its standard lens, plus a 75-300 which I bought later on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:30pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I bought a new DSLR this year and after reading many reviews the general opinion seemed to be that there wasn't anything to choose between Nikon and Canon in terms of quality.  Just slightly different styling and menu setups, so if you are used to the Canon might be easier to stick with that.  Big question is how much you want to spend, do you want to go full frame or happy to stick with APS-C?  I went with Canon as my daughter has one and it means we can share lenses.

Wise choice for you Kev with sharing lenses, I never really thought they were as important or more as the other Kev - Jaapie suggests to keep the lenses and sell the body.

I guess APS-C is fine for amateurs, do the professional photogs go for full frame?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 8:57pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Watching with interest as I'm looking at upgrading from a point and shoot to a DSLR.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:08am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you will be able to do a great deal of what you want with the 700D, just get it off the "A" setting and onto the "P" setting and start playing with exposure settings using the "quick touch" button on the touch screen and you will be very surprised at just how good the night shots you can get are. Use this to bracket sunset/sunrise or any other low light shots and you will soon learn how to improve these shots  dramatically.

I'm not trying to discourage you from upgrading but I would be surprised if there is anything you want to do that you won't be able to do with the 700D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 9:01am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

What was the final decision Al? Be interested in what you settled on and how it's going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BrieDenver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
BrieDenver View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes, I'm curious on what his final decision was as well. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wiski23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 9:36am
Wiski23 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sell the lot and switch to mirror less.
I was a canon dude but have been Sony for the last 6 years.

Depends, if you just want to take snaps and fix up in post (Lightroom/Photoshop) then a full frame with 42mp you can’t go wrong.

You can crop right in and no be pixelated.

You can purchase a variety of lenses wide/zoom etc or purchase 1 lens that covers everything and no need to change out.

Sony A6500 with a 24mm - 105mm f4 (I think) this is crop sensor with a good focal range.

Or

Sony a7rII with a sony 24-70mm F2.8 GMaster
This is full frame, you don’t need to worry about much when shooting and you can zoom in on post to get the extra length or any tidy ups with the 42mp. I personally shot this setup for Astro and professional model shoots for a time, it covers pretty much all bases without the need for multiple lenses or switching out. You can always add in a prime lens or even better a 70-200 F2.8. Being a “slightly” older version you can get a steal used on Trademe etc.

If you don’t want to splash the cash I would recommend getting a cheapies camera body and investing in good glass. Lenses are life. I wouldn’t personally purchase a lens the was any higher than F2.8.

On the shooting front, 100% get it off Auto.
Put it on (M) Chuck your ISO on 100 or Auto shoot wide open, F2.8 or less (Blurs the background) then just use operate your exposure levels. Real damn easy.

Chur Wiski