Floundering in Tauranga Harbour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floundering in Tauranga Harbour
    Posted: 18 Jan 2006 at 3:34pm
Magoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anybody have any advice on floundering in the Tauranga (and surrounding areas)Harbour.

We have been out the last 2 nights and have not even seen anything worth while mentioning except for a nice sized stingray. We have tried the incoming tide by the Maungatapu bridge, and also the end of Levers Rd and also off Beach Road in Matua and also at the end of the Airport.

So far we have all been walking with spears, but the next time we go we plan on using the Kayaks with a broom handle inserted in a rod holder with a 250,000 candle power spotlight mounted on it.

The only time we actually saw any signs of our elusive prey was at the end of Levers Rd, we each saw about 3 flap offs (mud stirred up by the flounder as it took off) but the current was fairly strong and within seconds you had know idea where it went too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter. C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2006 at 3:46pm
Peter. C. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Magoo, I tried that myself (a few months ago) from the yak, but all I got was a cold wet arse. Will try again in febuary when there is suppose to be more around. I was at whitianga .

P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2006 at 3:47pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go to Pahoia, on the way to Katikat,, there is a great little boatramp there, nice big public domain with loos, and a LOT of nice flounder flats just off the ramp, with extensive flats in the whole area to check out as well.

I have taken a LOT of flounder there in nets, so I am sure you could get into some with a spear.

Cheers, Su.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2006 at 5:58pm
Magoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You are the second person today to recommend Pahoia Capt A, so on that we will try there next thanks mate :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2006 at 8:56pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gid'ay Magoo,   Re the flounder @ Pahoia.  I live  mins away from there, and spear alot @ night there. Yes there are alot there if you know where to go and know the conditions.  Pm me if your interested, may save knee high mud and cold gonads!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Hermit

Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2006 at 11:44pm
Magoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out there tonight Hermit, water visibilty was about 6 inches...lol. Managed to get one of just legal size with poor visibilty.

Also managed to lose my home made flounder long line. Kayaked out a about 150m or so and set it, but when i went to retrieve it couldnt find my float (second time in a week I could have really done with my hand held GPS). Hopefully we will be ablle to retreive it tomorrow at low tide and see if my theory worked...lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 9:49am
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to see you found the mud Magoo!!!!!!!  I try and stay away from the stuff if possible.  As you look out from the ramp, the mud extends up to the left and the further you go the deeper it gets.  An ol mate of mine used to commercially flounder up there and once he got " stuck!!!" with an incoming tide.  Just about lost his life he recons.  Re the vizz, your right it can be vertually zero, I only fish when there's been no wind for a few days.  Take ur yak and go across the channel and fish the hard sand on the harbour side of the mangrove island.  once the tides right in, have a go along the mangrove edge as the little buggars like it around there too.  One night soon, I'm going to "ducktape" my underwater light to the side of the Yak and drift along.  Bit like an air attack!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bushkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 12:43pm
bushkid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Hermit, my old lady has a place at Pahoia. Next time I'm heading down there I'll give you a yell and sea if your keen for a fish. got some good snaps from the yak at the first marker pole heading out into the harbour over xmas.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2006 at 8:59pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Bushkid,  Gezz if all you bluggars keep pinching my fish I'll have to stay home with the missus as she won't let me out if I don't catch anything!!!!

I've been getting a few there too after dark, but up on the bank out of the current in under 2 meters of water.  Actually going out again tomorrow night.

Be great to catch upand go out for a fish, our local bronzies need freash meat!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Hermit

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bushkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 1:01pm
bushkid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hermit I've been pinching fish out of that area for the last 10 years and you only just complain about it now, you must be slow to miss the decreae or maybe I ain't been taking enough.

will be down there soon so will pm you when I'm down that way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2006 at 8:37pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bushkid - be good to catch up, good to see you getting a few down here, it's always good to see a bit of culling of the weak and sick ones out of the harbour - keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Hermit

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote impulse2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 6:26pm
impulse2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how is the night fishing going still i like to try spear fishing