Oamaru hut Mohaka

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oamaru hut Mohaka
    Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 6:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm not really a trout fisherman but when I get the opportunity I keep telling myself I need to do more.I haven't been trout fioshing in more than a year (jigging on Rotoiti!!) and prior to that more like 20 years.
I've only fished a handful of places, Kai Iwi lake in Northland about 20 times using baits and wet flies, Tongarir (wet fly) twice and Rotoiti once (jigging). Add to that Thompsons lake in Waiuku (wet fly) and Otatoa (wet fly). Ohhh and my first ever brown released in the Ohau canal 2 or 3 years ago. It's been a long time.

I'm looking at a hunting trip in the 1st week of September and  will be at the Oamaru Hut on the Mohaka river.

I haven't even checked out the licensing stuff yet so don't know if it is open, fly only etc yet. So thought I would ask here and get the real story.

I don't own a fly rod (ok I do I just have a rod, no reel etc), but have plenty of spin gear.

There's no way I'm going hunting if there is a river near by and it's open. Any advice for an inexperienced but keen trout fisherman?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:09pm
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Think it is closed until 1st October, so leave the rod at home. Would love to get in there for a fish at some point but can't really find the time to do it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Fergie, I thought so too. I'll just have to go watch the fish Big smile. Would be happy to be proved wrong though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:35pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mohaka River tributaries 1 Oct – 30 Jun      Artificial fly/spinner    

Not open till 1st Oct.  Still pretty cold in there in Sept, I would be tempted to put your trip back till later in Oct/Nov when there is more growth and the bambis are moving around more.

I have fished the Mohaka & Oamaru and had reasonable success with a little rapala lure.  I would let my mates go ahead and thrash the water with their dry flies and nymphs with no success and then follow behind them and pull trout out of the pools and rapids where there were no fish according to the experts.  I was not very popular.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Awesome Farmer Browne Big smile. Looks like no fishing but that's how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:51am
Red fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok, you've found you cant fish while in there at the time your going, but, just a thought for other times your out there..... there's no reason why you cant put a spinning reel on your fly rod ! I used to some years ago and found it to be a perfect match up. Longer casts and way more fun playing a fish.
Anyway.....just a thought.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:45pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool spot there Smudge. You flying in, walking through the farm access,  or going over the hill from Clements?. I hunted there a lot in the past. 1st week of Sept is earlier than I would go but have had some good trips in late Sept not too far from there. Fishing wise you have a bunch of options in that area from Oct on. I assume it still gets a bit of pressure though so a combined fish/hunt starting around 1 Oct is probably good for both.