Crew wanted targeting XOS Winter Snapper Manukau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crew wanted targeting XOS Winter Snapper Manukau
    Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 10:32am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It is hard enough getting a crew in summer. Try winter when the coast is flat, I am almost out of reliable options.

This Sunday/Monday looks like a rare opportunity to target the Big snapper and occasional kingfish that lurk in the deep off the Manukau Bar.

I would like to form a small list of occasional but serious fisher crew that can fill a spot when times get tough and every excuse under the sun is being used by my regulars.

I have had no trouble finding the fish, and in recent years the winter fishing trips with big Snapper have been very rewarding and the common excuse of winter sharks has not been an issue.

I launch from Te Toro pre dawn to get to the Bar for first light. I normally fish with 2-3 others, am a life member of coastguard, have all the essential safety gear and knowledge of the Bar, which I cross 3-5 times per year on flat days.

Please comment or PM me if you are a reliable and keen fisherman and are happy to contribute to an enjoyable day and share catch and costs. I may have a spot this Sunday/Monday as I will be heading out to 50-60m so get in quick if you are interested
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 12:30pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Seems like a reasonable window of opportunity.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 1:41pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Gesture CrayZfish! Its looking very good Sunday- Monday. Metre swell, light winds. Wot size would you class an XOS Snap out West? I be out with my Brother For sure chasing Them. Like most times through winter my brother and i will  probably be the only ones out down here. Don't know why more don't give it a go when the Bar is Flat to hook into big West Coast Snaps if they haven't  caught one before.....Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Geoff. XOS is a funny way of me describing any decent winter snapper, the last winter snapper we caught in the harbour was XUS (U=Under), Haha. Although it will be nice to crack the 20lber off Manukau, The last trip off the coast netted us this beauty that went 19lb.  I certainly liked reading your latest post about mokau and it had me thinking what the Manukau would be like on the edge of the muddy water line. As I normally fish deep (60m) when water is less than 18Deg. Im certainly going to be looking for Kahawai signs and getting a few of them in the bait bin on the way out. Can't seem to beat fresh bait. But normally deep ledger fishing up here is easy meat and anything goes.
Good luck, we shall compare notes after the weekend
CrayZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 1:06am
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I'll come out if your keen mate. 022 0327 125.

Lets just say I know the owners of the takeaway/petrol station/dairy very well! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 6:20pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Slow but steady morning fishing today. 12 snapper 3 gurnard 2 baracoutta one broken rod. A sun bathing Marlin in the distance (aka fur seal) and a lot of fun with good company. No records broken today as the XOS snapper stayed away but still a very rewarding winters morning fishing. Thanks Mike and Mitchell for the trip. I wonder what else was caught with a lot of boats out wide. [IMG]uploads/95539/2017073018045
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Stephen, did you stay in close? Plenty of spiny dogs?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:56pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah smashed out to 60 in the left over wind chop from that Saturday southerly then it flattened off all day trip in was magic. 0 spiny dogs. Just a few schoolies and carpet sharks