Cheap topwater reel for kingfish

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:01am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by saffayakker saffayakker wrote:

I bought a Okuma Azores SW from a guy on Trade Me for $190. It blue and silwer. 65 model. Use it the other day and caught a 26 kg yellow fin tuna with it. Spooled with 50 lb braid. It cheap but done the job for me.

Don't be fooled by the " you need 25kg of drag" stuff. Most of the time you not even using 10 kg of drag. It more likely 6 to 8 kg of drag.

Not really comparing apples with apples  when comparing catching a YFT with a kingfish.... very different habitats with fish that behave very differently. 

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:16am
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oh i thought he ask about a cheap reel now you start compairing yft and kingfish[. I am a little lost here. Anyway he got plenty of options to look at.QUOTE=Titahi]

I bought a Okuma Azores SW from a guy on Trade Me for $190. It blue and silwer. 65 model. Use it the other day and caught a 26 kg yellow fin tuna with it. Spooled with 50 lb braid. It cheap but done the job for me.

Don't be fooled by the " you need 25kg of drag" stuff. Most of the time you not even using 10 kg of drag. It more likely 6 to 8 kg of drag.

Not really comparing apples with apples  when comparing catching a YFT with a kingfish.... very different habitats with fish that behave very differently. 

[/QUOTE]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 12:13pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=saffayakker] Oh i thought he ask about a cheap reel now you start compairing yft and kingfish[. I am a little lost here. Anyway he got plenty of options to look at.QUOTE=Titahi] 

You missed the crucial bit "for kingfish" and introduced YFT  into the discussion, you then went further saying you dont need much drag..... If kingfish behaved and were caught in the same manner as YFT you'd be right, but they don't. 
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 12:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So as others have provided their views on, any reel at that price point will be a compromise.

If you want fast retrieve - the only reel in your price range with anything close to the 14000 Stella retrieve rate (134cm/wind) is the Daiwa BG (5000, 6500). They are 120cm and 124cm. BUT, the 5000 has max 10kg drag, and the bigger BG about 15kg.

If you want really powerful drag (20+kg), the options include the Fin-Nors, Okuma and also Quantum Cabo FTSE (bought from Australia, you can get it in your price bracket shipped to NZ for about half what they cost in NZ). 
BUT, except for the real big berthas, they have around the 100-105cm per reel crank.

Go up to something with 115cm retrieve and 20+kg drag, and they weigh 250g more than the next model down. Can you handle that casting all day?

As Alan Hawk points out in his reviews, the stated drag and what is practical (ie. other parts of the reel can handle the stresses that level of drag pressure creates) are usually two different things.

How many people can stand in a typical fishing boat and pull against 20+kg of drag for longer than a few seconds?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:42pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by eynon eynon wrote:

you'll build some good muscles with the finnor offshore 9500, its heavy and a bit clunky but built like a brick with some good power. might be better looking at the 7500 instead if you want to go that route, its smaller, lighter, same drag.
Agree about the 9500 ... its absolutely huge.

Got a reasonably priced Fin_Nor 7500 combo on TM now

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1461139602
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:19pm
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yea good post Tamure Kid, the Cabo was what I was thinking also. If your really strapped for dollars look out for an old daiwa opus bull. I think surpassed by the opus Nero. And throw an upgraded drag in it for a few bucks. They’re lacking on the drag but reasonably tough reels, I’ve seen them for around 150 second hand, and from memory only a couple hundred new. I’m not sure of the exact weights but they’re the same sizes as the current daiwa 5000/6000 reels. They used them on the original big angry fish series. Checkout sneakyfisho.com and dinga.com if you haven’t already.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:27pm
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

https://www.gofish.co.nz/daiwa-opb5000h-opus-bull-saltwater-spin-reel-4bb-5-7-1.html

The spool looks pretty avo, but that’s a reasonably cheap fix. 15kgs drag, reasonable retrieveat 5.7:1 and the 5000 is a nice size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Opus bull .. if you can find one. Biggest jig caught king for me on one about 35 kg. 4500 model feels plasticky but can't break it. Nice drag with Pe5. And quite light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:26am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with that...I got my 22.5 kg king off the rocks with a shimano baitrunner 6500 and that only had a max drag of 7kg and i didnt push it that hard.......just enjoyed that screaming drag.......the sound is amazing on that reel........admittedly....it wasnt foul ground but the drag was smooth and that was on mono as well with a piper.Wink 
    Ive seen so many vid where people try to give it death off the rocks on a king and they get busted off.......kings are big....its hard for them to hide.........a big snapper fights more dirty i reckon.....ive been wasted by a few of them!LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:35am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"How many people can stand in a typical fishing boat and pull against 20+kg of drag for longer than a few seconds?"
Good luck staying in the boat/keeping hold of your rod and reel and making it home with your rod in one piece too !.........many a rod has been ****ed over in that manner.

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:44pm
Brendog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

At my hunting and fishing they got a daiwa bg6500 top water combo for 400 including braid is this what I should be looking at for a combo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Brendog Brendog wrote:

At my hunting and fishing they got a daiwa bg6500 top water combo for 400 including braid is this what I should be looking at for a combo?

possibly half that from the states

edit: ah combo nevermind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Brendog,
It depends on what the specs of the rod are, I reckon, and whether it feels nicely balanced to you. Does it have good guides which help you cast well, such as Fuji K Guides? 

You can get that reel by itself in NZ for about $290 (Marine Deals), or landed in NZ from the US (ebay) for NZ$190 (less if you have a NZ Post YouShop account in Oregon).

Often with combos, retailers appear to charge nearly the full price for the reel and throw in a low spec rod. Not always the bargain it appears. Sometimes getting separates on good deals is the better option.

But I think that reel is certainly one that would do the job for you and would be near the top of a list for me at the entry level. I'm very happy with my BG5000, which is the size down and quite a bit lighter. But I'm not targeting big kingies with it, and am using 50lb braid. The 6500 has heaps of line capacity, very fast retrieve, and about 15kg of claimed drag - arguably enough to deal with most kingies (though you've seen the debate about that above).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:45pm
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To rehash an old topic.
How much line do you need for a top water reel?
Would a couple of hundred metres be enough? I see the BG 4000 holds 280 yards of .28mm (@30lb) braid and it is a lot lighter than the larger models.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon it depends on where you're fishing, what type of top water fishing you're doing, and the rod. If you're only targeting small kingies, 200+m of line would be plenty.

A BG5000 I have balances nicely with a PE3-5 stick bait rod (using the one finger test under the rod just in front of the reel seat). I think the 4000 would be on the light side, unless you're going with basically a heavy soft bait rod for your top water fishing.
The step up in drag (6kg to 10kg) and line capacity is worth the extra 200g in weight, I think. Also, the extra retrieval speed. I use some top water plugs which work best at high speed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:53am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Better to go down slightly in diameter, and put a whole 300m spool on if possible in my opinion. Fish closer to the limit on it drag wise. An actual 5kg-10kg of drag is a heck of a lot, especially with a 2m lever acting against you.

At 0.23mm it should be possible to finda 30lb braid. Tie a good knot and fish 5-75kg if you need to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:03am
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys.
I was going to use it primarily for landbased fishing on a 2.3m Shimano T-Curve Revolution travel rod. It is a fairly soft 15-24kg rod so I won't be fishing 10kg of drag. Probably closer to 5.
There seems to be a big step up in capacity between the 4000 and 5000 (over twice the line capacity!) plus the big step up in weight.
PS. I have been using Fireline Exceed in lighter weights (6kg) and like it so was going to go to 14kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:58am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

^BG4000 off the rocks for topwater, brave man
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:44pm
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by coroben coroben wrote:

Why so?
Not enough drag? Not enough line capacity? Retrieve too slow?
I will be targeting Kingfish (south island) on lures so am not expecting to hook 20kg fish. 
I am tossing up between the BG4000 or 5000 but if anyone has any other suggestions for under $250 I am more than happy to look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:52am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Brenick Brenick wrote:

Originally posted by coroben coroben wrote:

Why so?
Not enough drag? Not enough line capacity? Retrieve too slow?
I will be targeting Kingfish (south island) on lures so am not expecting to hook 20kg fish. 
I am tossing up between the BG4000 or 5000 but if anyone has any other suggestions for under $250 I am more than happy to look.

Not enough drag to stop them just going straight down into the rocks/weed. On the first run a kingi can pull close to its body weight in drag without much trouble. You are a bit hamstrung though because those travel rods, as you said, are pretty soft, not a lot of grunt for making the fish do what you want it to, and you're gonna be pretty limited in how much drag you can run.

The go-to cheap topwater reel is surely the Okuma Azores, fullonfishing is dumping the old silver ones (IMO the better looking...) for $149, they are way less refined and smooth than the BG but the drag is miles better, my 2c anyway.

I would chuck one on the lighter of the 2 Okuma Metaloid topwater rods and for $400 plus braid you have a setup that's hard to beat for anything less than twice the price, and capable of dealing with the majority of fish you are likely to encounter.
Page  <123>