Building a ply dinghy.

Page  123 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a ply dinghy.
    Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:41pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Currently being without a boat I am building a little dinghy. The build thread will be on Bateau.com. 

If I enjoy the whole process and at the end of it I get something I don't mind to admitting that I built I may try something bigger...

Use will be for trout fishing canterbury lakes, crossing the Hurunui river lagoon going after salmon, and mucking around Nelson.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I hope the build goes well, will be watching it develop
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:51am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great project, please post updates on your progress.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:06am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on you.
Used to be common here in NZ to build your own dinghy. 
We had some great designers supporting home builders plus many keen builders designed their own. In this weather building in shed is better than being on the water.
Look forward to your project.
I have another in the planning stage - an old style clinker built in glued lapstrake.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:57am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on you mate, Ive been thinking along the same lines for a similar project now that im landlocked :P
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 11:30am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one.  How does the saw-max tool go on curved cuts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 1:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

The saw-max cuts about 2mm wide. Curves are no problem as long as they are smooth fair curves. No problem with the curves for those panels. Router or jigsaw for finer work.

One thing though. I was cutting flat on the floor with cardboard under to keep the concrete from the blade. I did get build up of dust in the cut every meter or so. Easy to clear once I figured it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:13pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the 50s and 60s damn near ever garage had a dinghy built in them.. Think it was the old hartley design or out of Popular Mechanics mags
These days things like fixtures/ glues are far superior.
 We made kayak cannoes.. ply off cuts, ripped a few stringers, brass scews canvas and old house paint...Did from Amuri damn to port waikato, Clevedon to Waiheke and back and a few other trips
 Those plans where out of a popular mechanic mag... we where about 14/ 15yrs at the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 4:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

This boat is stitch and glue. Supposed to be fast and easy construction. I'm drawing and cutting the rest of the panels at the moment. Gluing will have to wait until the weather warms up a bit. Too cold for even fast hardener.

Most photos and info will be on the linked bateau thread though I'll keep this updated from time to time.

I can understand why building is going out of fashion. I will have a bit over $1000 in materials in this by the time I'm done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 4:43pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been looking into stitch and glue. Planning a kayak build later this year. 

With the S&G build system specified, the ply ends up completely encapsulated in and joined together by epoxy, so its more or less functioning as a very strong core material.

A bit different to the old glass over ply with metal fastenings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

I had a bit of a play with the epoxy before buying Ply. Incredible stuff. Unlike polyester it is tenacious at gripping to the wood. This will have 400g biaxial on seams inside and out. Paint everything except the bottom which will have an aluminum powder coating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

Good on you mate, Ive been thinking along the same lines for a similar project now that im landlocked :P

I was impressed by the look of your SS18 when I saw it. Always thought that that would be too much project for me. If this goes well I'll probably either go for a FS17 with high sides, or decide that one will do me and buy a 5m frewza, Smartwave or something. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote filthyoar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:12pm
filthyoar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mate I've not long finished a 12ft tango skiff best fun ever looking forward to your build
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 11:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

I was wondering if it was possible to see the pictures on the bateau thread without a login? I can post some here as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:24am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would love to see the photos here as well if you don't mind. Interesting to keep tabs on this and see how you go Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:23am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is a couple of Kiwi stories well worth following.
Both building one of the best 12 footers ever designed.....put 20 hp on it and you have a great fishing and dive boat. 

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?171585-Frank-Pelin-12-quot-Nomad-build
http://scottjcarpenter.blogspot.co.nz/

Enjoy and may it encourage your work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 10:28am
Platinum
Platinum

Photos of marking and cutting hull panels.

Excerpts from plans. I paid about $50 for the plans. High school maths and knowledge of coordinates is useful. It would be easier if I had a bigger set square but I am managing with multiple measurements and double checks. Accuracy within 5mm is accepted as gaps can be filled with epoxy putty. Gaps make a stronger final product.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

That's a nice 12 footer. I considered building a stitch and glue 12 foot but wanted to keep the size to where it would fit on a garden trailer. With the method I'm using a 14 foot can be made for almost the same cost anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:40pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking good mate, I'm still toying with building a bateau FS14-LS or FS14.
Where did you source the ply from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:12pm
Platinum
Platinum

BBS timbers. Roughly $75-$100 a sheet. Seems to be decent stuff. No voids or defects noticed yet.

There were a couple of fs14s on trade me a while back. Make sure that you build the boat you want as homebuilt boats don't sell well. Personally the fs17 seems like much more boat.
Page  123 8>