Buccaneer 565 Classic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buccaneer 565 Classic
    Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:22pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone got one ? what engine are you running ?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:47pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A mate has one, he has a 115 Evinrude Ficht on that's done, wait for it...........1700 hours!

115 seems like a good sized engine for it.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 8:07am
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Previously had one with a 115 2 str yamaha salt water series. I felt it was under powered. Dont remember stats sorry.

Perhaps a 115 etec or similar would be fine, however I would recommend larger. 150hp 4 stroke would be ideal imo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 8:47am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've got a 2014 565 Sportsman, same hull. Yamaha 150 4 stroke. I wanted 150 so I can single ski.

Probably slightly over powered frankly, at WOT it needs carful driving, and I don't go there really. But good to have the extra push and the motor doesn't work to hard for normal running. If I was doing it again, I'd probably go 130. Lighter engine than 150 I think. And I don't ski as much as I used to.

Standard issue for these and Haines 545 etc. is 115hp. That will work for fishing etc , but like gmacx says, perhaps a bit under powered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haven't got one, but as a recent purchaser of a new boat sea trialled the 565 Billfisher. Same hull as the classic. Keep in mind the newer bucaneers have a hull liner (like a full hull placed inside the main hull) then foam filled in between. Makes quite a diference to quietness and stiffness of the boat compared to earlier hulls.
The Billfisher had a 140 Suzuki. Was a great match and went really well - had more than enough grunt. My only comment would be it felt like it rode a bit bow high, but was a real rough day I went out, and possibly on a better day you might be able to play with the trim a bit more, rather than just hanging on like I did!
I also would think a 115 was a bit under powered, unless you are a real fair weather fisher, and don't have bars etc to cross.
If I had one it would be the 130 or 140 4stroke option.
Also had an opportunity to test ride another 565 last week with a 150. Didn't go out in that boat in the end, but was told it had a ridiculous amount of power.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ragged Joe s post above is on to it
And here is why....practical application and number crunching match up...
The 565 buccaneer and  commander fully loaded are very similar in weight....as is ray marine 5.5.
115 on a commander is min powered if propped for the use it is designed/ used for
General use, good economical cruise, around 30/33 mph short period WoT one is looking at a around a 19 pitch on a 1.86 ratio gear box with 10 to 15% slip at cruise
Skiers.. one needs around a 15 or 17 pitch prop with a little more slip.. BIG difference in cruise economy thu.

Ideally the 115 be it 2S 4S or little hamsters running around in a wheel (its the HP at a given rpms at the prop that matter, not how that hp is made) a fully loaded cabin boat around the 5.5 needs around 130/ 140 hp...and around a 19 pitch on a 1.86 gearbox for sking type of stuff, and 21 pitch for general use....thu with the extra power the 21 will do both ..cruise and skiers.

150 gets to be on the over powered side...EVERY time one takes off, one HAS TO ASK.. all holding on...otherwise someone is likely to go over the stern...on the other hand one can cruise at fast speeds.. 36/ 38 mph around the same fuel usage for the day, which means you get there faster, but more L/ hr, but less mpg.
Thats on a 21 pitch 12% slip....ideally a 22 ... MAYBE, could be pushing thu 23 pitch, which would improve economy even further...
That will give around 50 mph top speed.. which is not a good idea..

Also the hull performance espec in a little chop, or get caught out in some nasty stuff, crossing a big wake, crossing bars etc....same hull, same load, total different in ALL aspecs....well powered or even slightly over powered , if careful of crew is way to go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:45pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

meh - 150 isnt a crazy amount of power

had a 565 with a 200hpdi - still fell short of 60mph

your comments regards running bow high are spot on - that hull has a very high planing threshold - doesnt really get up on it until about 18mph - and this makes it a very frustrating boat to run upwind in rough weather - 20+mph might be too uncomfortable and then pulling the power back a fraction and it starts falling off the plane - *******!

we installed trim tabs after a bit of this - and were really beneficial in holding the bow down in rough conditions.

having said the above - the hull really comes alive about 35mph and goes really very well

with the big motor cruising at 35-40 was very easy - without the engine spinning its tits off
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 10:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

20+mph might be too uncomfortable and then pulling the power back a fraction and it starts falling off the plane - *******we installed trim tabs after a bit of this - and were really beneficial in holding the bow down in rough conditions.

compared a buccaneer, rayglass and the commander...all similar power, weights, fully loaded etc... East coast and west coast over and inside manukau bar
 The new hulls tend to sweep back from the bow lot further than the commander.. more like a cross between a lake boat and the commander...and have the helm center of balance (maybe) further forward.
Found with the new hulls even in small chop one had to trim far more up to get the bow to stop bouncing on the wave tops...and in bit bigger had to work the throttle far more to stop dropping off the plane...both of these increased fuel consumption significantly. The commander would travel in both seas, smoother, and just set the throttle sit back watch for the larger waves in the sets.. and the economy is far better than normal cruise...
 When at the helm of the newer hulls had a lot of trouble getting used to the different hulls.. was rather taken back at the unexpected differences
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

agreed - compared to 'old skool' - current models are tending to have increased beam to length ratio and fuller in the forward sections to promote cabin volume. 

this must create a bigger bow wave for them to overcome when transitioning onto the plane - resulting in a tendency to stand on their stern a bit more

not a 100% convinced that old glass boats all have deeper forefoots but you might be on to something there - in essence overall length compared to waterline lengths have reduced with the overhangs increasing - really the opposite of sailing yachts

back to OP - a 4cyl 4 stoke would be a sweet spot for this hull - most of them are 115 up to 200 hp

lots of the bucc 565 were sold with yammie 115/130hp 2 strokes - these are well regarded engines - and will push the hull well - if a little thirsty

having had one and been on both - the haines 535 is better built and goes nicer - but has limited engine choice because of the transom height and the rear of the boat isnt quite as fishing friendly with rear seats moulded in
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:42pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

better built and goes nicer in what way ?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:46pm
Titanium
Titanium

HH are handlaid with resin squeegeed out for even and consistent wetting out of cloth

buccs are chopper gun with variable thickness - in some hard to spray areas its thin and in others the resin/cloth ratio is excessive were gravity has pooled it

chopper gun boats tend to be heavier to allow for this variation.

my personal experience was the bucc was poor in a few areas - stress cracks around some deck fittings. also found that the stitching in the cockpit seat upholstery rotted out rather quickly. the also use that caramel coloured gelcoat on the inner liner - and in areas like the side pockets where rods/gaffs/nets etc live it quickly scratched through to reveal white behind.

the dealer also cut some corners with the fit up - no backing plate on the throttle for instance - that was a surprise when the screws pulled straight out and the throttle came away from the helm side console one day...!

i believe that all HH are now factory fitted out at MMSC in ellerslie - so the rigging/wiring/deck fittings are all installed appropriately and to consistently high standards.

in terms of hull performance - the 535 is an old design now - from when volume for length wasnt such an important selling point (compare to the newer 545 for instance for a old/new contrast in design thinking) - and as such tends to be a much better traveller for it - better behaved at slow to moderate speeds.

the bucc is still a nice hull - its just it doesnt like going slowly (18-25mph sort of stuff) - but crank it out to more like 35+ and it tends to come right
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 7:50am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I would agree with above. High planning speed, pain in the arse when towing wakeboraders who want to go just that bit slower. Also into a Hauraki Gulf short chop, always working to stay planning but not getting too quick. Not sure how old the 565 hull is, I think same as the old 550, just "remeasured" ?

All that said for most conditions we are very happy. No complaints on fit and finsh.