Desalt vs Salt away

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Desalt vs Salt away
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:34pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What is your opinion of these two products? . I have a small bottle of salt away here for flushing my outboard and washing the boat down after each trip and getting close to running out. I just purchased a 5 liter of Desalt for when the salt away runs out so obviously the two products do the same job but does any of them do it better than the other.

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:08pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've used salt away for a while and been really happy with the cleaning results i get with using it, i personally wouldn't use it for an out board as it can cause a clog up with residue from the solution.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:45pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kingfish15 kingfish15 wrote:

I've used salt away for a while and been really happy with the cleaning results i get with using it, i personally wouldn't use it for an out board as it can cause a clog up with residue from the solution.
Cheers

I forgot to say that once I have put the salt away through the outboard I also flick the dispenser back to normal water after disconnecting fuel line to run fuel out of the system so the salt away is also flushed out even though I was told you can leave it to sit in there I have always been a bit iffy about it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:41pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saltaway say it doesn't leave ANY residue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Certainly does leave a residue, spray your reels with it then rinse them and have a look at them once they have dried.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:12am
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I thought the residue was supposed to protect your motor? I've been leaving it in after flushing as the instructions suggest, is this a bad idea?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:53am
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Shanedog Shanedog wrote:

I thought the residue was supposed to protect your motor? I've been leaving it in after flushing as the instructions suggest, is this a bad idea?

The residue creates blockages in your outboard if you don't use it for a while, if i did use slat away to flush out an outboard it would only be one in every five flushes with the rest being with water.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote maxtarakihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:30am
maxtarakihi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been using saltaway for 6 years on my motor since new ,haven't had any problems at all.Done 520 hrs,at 200 hrs shop said I would need to put new thermostats in as they would be getting corroded,pulled them out to find them as new.Still on the same ones @ 520hrs.So in my opinion it's good sh*t.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are talking sea salt here (NaCl)... not high mineral content of fresh water (circles on the car after washing)
The best soln is to flush the engine while the engine is still hot, and internals havnt dried out.
 We flush at the ramp, remove the tell tale plug,(johnson/ evinrude) made an adapter and plug the fresh water hose in, engine in vertical position  Merc and other brands have similar hose plug in systems).... This cabn be done with the engine still sitting on salt water at a dock or mooring.
 Then when home, another flush in a drum with fresh water and a little CAR detergent ....
Couple times a yr, a long flush in the drum with a dilute soln vinegar .. this then removes any fresh water mineral build up.

After flushing always let the engine drain well in vertical position .
 We use the boat at least a couple times a month, and for at least a good hr... this allows a lot of salt water to run thru the engine , which dissolves any (if any) build up...

Using engines for sort and occasional periods, far greater flushing maintenance should be done.. AND regular full annual maintenance which should include removal and checking of hoses, ports, thermostats and galleries (when impeller thermostats removed) replaces.
 If you park up over winter.. service, and winterize the engine, or get it winterized at the service.

Basically its about good flushing....before deposits build up.
 Once they have built up there is NO MAGIC soln or product that will remove them easy....
 Think about it.. u have very dense encrusted salt build up in a gallery cnr.. what ever you use flows OVER its surface.. not thru it. Therefore its a matter of having something in soln that will create the right pH (acidity) with the right ions that will slowly remove the surface a little faster... and not attack the iron/ aluminium of the engine parts.
 It can also be sped up by softening the deposit 1st... Products like marine CRC, some silicones are very effective in doing so... This means getting excess into ports and galleries thru hoses, thermostats, and spraying in with long tubes letting soak.  Doing so on regular basis also has the risk if attacking seals, impellers.

Bottom line it comes down to flushing , preferably with engine warm, before dried out....and then when think enough , double the time (the best medium to dissolve salt is HOT water).... when using  salt deposit PREVENTIVE detergents/ products  or not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:41pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Certainly does leave a residue, spray your reels with it then rinse them and have a look at them once they have dried.

Sorry miss read the bottle "salt-away is not a coating and does not bond to surfaces
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:31pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Durbans Formula . BeforeAfter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:56pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For flushing a motor clean of salt ordinary car wash shampoo works well and at the end of the day it flushes out the salt.

No need for expensive options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:43pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Car wash or dishwasher liquid not good due to additives. .....I've proved that grated and disolved Sunlight soap in a drum has more benifets for internal cleaning and waterpumps. I run my V6 in a drum after use and desalted clogged telltails in small engines also.......
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Car wash or dishwasher liquid not good due to additives.
 Not all detergents/ soaps are equal, have similar properties.
Additives tend to be perfumes/ dyes.. so not an issue.

Then is anionic and cationic soaps/ detergents.. basically acid or caustic in how they work.
 There is a huge difference between dish wash and a QUALITY car wash like meguires or mothers.
 These are system .. designed to work with their car polishes.. dishwash will strip the polish, the system car polish/ detergent doesnt.
 Then there are others .. turtle I think it is, has a polymer polish added leaving a durable film protective shine.
If go the car wash route, go meguires/ mothers
A good all round is CT18 truck....also ideal as foam up, let dry, even over night (better) wet down then water blast off.

If I was flushing when get home with muffs I think I would be using saltaway or similar or a car detergent like meguires heavy duty. on a regular  but not every time out if out frequent.
 As we are out frequent all yr round and flush at ramp, then long flush in drum at home, a little CT 18 manages its way into the drum when foaming up the boat, outside and inside.. carpets, bait boards upholstery etc... NOT the acyclic windows or clears
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 12:18pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you want to check how good your flush down procedure is working, just pull your internal anodes off and have a look, it takes 1 minute. you might be surprised at the amount of salt build up...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:00pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Car wash or dishwasher liquid not good due to additives.
 Not all detergents/ soaps are equal, have similar properties.
Additives tend to be perfumes/ dyes.. so not an issue.

Then is anionic and cationic soaps/ detergents.. basically acid or caustic in how they work.
 There is a huge difference between dish wash and a QUALITY car wash like meguires or mothers.
 These are system .. designed to work with their car polishes.. dishwash will strip the polish, the system car polish/ detergent doesnt.
 Then there are others .. turtle I think it is, has a polymer polish added leaving a durable film protective shine.
If go the car wash route, go meguires/ mothers
A good all round is CT18 truck....also ideal as foam up, let dry, even over night (better) wet down then water blast off.

If I was flushing when get home with muffs I think I would be using saltaway or similar or a car detergent like meguires heavy duty. on a regular  but not every time out if out frequent.
 As we are out frequent all yr round and flush at ramp, then long flush in drum at home, a little CT 18 manages its way into the drum when foaming up the boat, outside and inside.. carpets, bait boards upholstery etc... NOT the acyclic windows or clears

Unfortunately I have to flush the motor when I get home as there are no boat washing/flushing facilities in Kawhia or anywhere else I will be going , I am very fussy about flushing the engine as well as washing the boat due to the fact the whole lot is brand new. 

The desalt turned up on the courier last night I must say the developers of that product have a sense of humor when you read the info and the safety precautions for them to say not to go brushing your teeth with it heck there was even mention of Burt Munro peeing on his lemon tree

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:26pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where do you buy desalt?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:36pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Fissure Fissure wrote:

where do you buy desalt?

I got it through the fly buys site along with a first aid kit for the boat as I had quite a few points accumulated hutchwilco distribute it only other places I have seen it advertised is farmlands. but might pay to contact hutchwilco to find out who is stocking it in your area.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 3:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you want to check how good your flush down procedure is working, just pull your internal anodes off and have a look, it takes 1 minute. you might be surprised at the amount of salt build up...

That is not a check...
If the anode has not any "salt" on it it means there is a issue with it
1/ not grounding electrically properly
2/ or someone has sprayed and or cleaned with CRC or similar type product
3/ you have a fresh water anode rather than a salt water anode
 One is Zn based the other Mg based.. off the top of my head cant rem which is which.
The white "Salt" is NOT SEA SALT (sodium chlorate)...it is a mixture of magnesium and Zinc oxides.

The anode due to its mixture of metals, and choice of metals is designed to corrode before the aluminium alloy of the engine and housing in a given environment
Check the sacrificial anodes make sure there is full electrical continuity between the surface and engine.....
Clean only with a wire brush
NEVER spray anything that may inhibit air contact with the surface of the anode...CRC polish, oil, grease anything
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:27pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

That is not a check...
If the anode has not any "salt" on it it means there is a issue with it
1/ not grounding electrically properly
2/ or someone has sprayed and or cleaned with CRC or similar type product
3/ you have a fresh water anode rather than a salt water anode
 One is Zn based the other Mg based.. off the top of my head cant rem which is which.
The white "Salt" is NOT SEA SALT (sodium chlorate)...it is a mixture of magnesium and Zinc oxides.

The anode due to its mixture of metals, and choice of metals is designed to corrode before the aluminium alloy of the engine and housing in a given environment
Check the sacrificial anodes make sure there is full electrical continuity between the surface and engine.....
Clean only with a wire brush
NEVER spray anything that may inhibit air contact with the surface of the anode...CRC polish, oil, grease anything

I dunno man, salt is salt. if you take out an anode and there is big salt crystals around, then that is salt and therefore there is room for improvement.  also, you can get aluminium anodes too.
Page  12>