Lightbulb jig heads

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:29pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Well, I keep coming back to Nitro Stealth 1/0s, usually teamed with 5" jerkshads.

I've caught snapper of all sizes on them including a bunch pictured on this forum well in excess of 20lb.

Very interesting, PJay. Your record speaks for itself, so definitely food for thought and consistent with one of the other experienced fisho's posts earlier in the thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:17am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Do you guys use those little clips or tie the hooks on?

Hi Steps,
I tried using Genie Clips when I started out, for inchiku jigs and soft baits. But lost a good fish under the boat on a soft bait when the mono slipped between a gap in the 'eye' of the clip. I then noticed half the clips in the packet had gaps that thin fluoro could fit through. A pair of pliers fixed that, but i was still nervous about the open loop on the other end of the clip. That relies on a constant pull in the right direction, so anything out of the ordinary in terms of line angle can be disastrous.

I then saw an article by LBGer on this forum (Scott Cushman) who wrote in Bayfisher about the Ten Mouth clips sold at GoFish. They are excellent. No design weakness I can see. Means you don't use up your leader as fast re-tying new jigheads on; and gives something else for snapper to chew on before they get to the thin leader. They are thinner and less obtrusive than the Genies as well.

I've used a Rapala knot with success when i don't have a clip to hand.
TTK

Used to use the original Genie as I had the same problem as TTK with a "generic" Genie clip. Have switched to the Mustad Fastach Clip with no issues.

You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:06am
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Knots always for me, i use long leaders so don't mind retying with any sign of leader damage and only takes seconds to do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I started using the clips at the beginning...also noticed the gap in many. Since use the Rapala with a 3 turn finish knot
In saying that Im not exactly into spending much time with a lure/ hook out of the water... be it s baits or stray lines
So basic set up..
6 to 10 nano matrix,  4000oc  32 lb penn colour coded braid, and 2m to 3m 30lb fluro fixed with FG. and 3/8 oz 0/3 head....just change the lure.
That does everything from 2 to 25m and 4" to 6" s baits

And stray line okuma 6 to 10 rod (obsolete model pre nano) okuma 4000 bait runner, 32 coloured penn braid...bimmini twist, with swivel and clip cats pawed to the bimini,  30 lb fluro trace length to reach from rod holder to bait board easy (approx 1.2/ 1.5 m)  3 or 4 loop surgeons, as small as possible, top hook usually 5 or 6 recurved or suicide snelled, bottom hook snelled with flasher, usually 6 or 7 suicide.
 A reef sinker 1/2oz to 6oz on the clip with the trace.... Choose type of clip that will take the bigger sinkers....
 This enables on the fly quick change of a trace or sinker...current changes quick sinker change.
Fish swallows a hook, drop the trace, new trace hook in water sort the fish.
All traces are pre made and in little plastic bags..
 Having the sinker on the end of the main line is sort of a 'left over ' old school what my Dad did in the 50s / 60s.. rather than sinker on bait.

Have been thinking about doing similar with soft baits on a shorter about 0.5 to 1m trace...thinking take most the lead off the hook, or alternative, surgeons onto the main line as per stray line rig, and sinkers on the clip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:43am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tend to run Nitro 1/0 jig heads most of the time these days, thin guage hooks, sharp as hell, small barb, so they unhook without damage. and I simply paint them with UV paint and off we go.  I've tried various clip systems and find they lessen the bite too much for my liking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:58am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I
Have been thinking about doing similar with soft baits on a shorter about 0.5 to 1m trace...thinking take most the lead off the hook, or alternative, surgeons onto the main line as per stray line rig, and sinkers on the clip.

That's starting to sound like a Carolina rig - which we use dragging some of the time. Small bean sinker above a swivel, then short trace to a bare Trokar Flippin hook with the soft bait on it. A Stephen Tapp recommendation.
He pointed out that with the Z Man being buoyant, it floats off the bottom and then (like a Booby trout fly on a shooting head line) dips down when you or the boat movement twitches the sinker.
Seems to work well, but I'm not able to say if it's better than using a jig head, or a sinker immediately above the hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:08pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's starting to sound like a Carolina rig

Hmm which is I think what my stray line set up above would be???
 If the bait is not tidy, anchored and down a current or drifting , you will be very lucky to get a bite let alone a fish...an un tidy bait spins around like an aeroplane propeller....a good 500mm in diameter and at the same time spins...causes air tangles in braid.
Having a bait not only spining but the trace spining as well there is now way a ish and catch it , let alone get on a hook.

Now with that in mind, and using a soft bait  'aerodynamically' designed to 'swim' instead......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:36pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

And you have to many issues with the Zman getting pulled of the jig head to much?

No - they seem to hold Zmans and Biobaits just as well as Gulp!s.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:43pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I have have been dipping my stray line and ledger rig sinkers in 8 to 12 hr glow in the dark paint for several yrs now.

Won't suit my straylining - Gamakatsu 8/0 and 9/0 debarbed circle hooks and no sinkers (because I strayline in <8m of water).

But what I do similar to my softbaiting is fish braid only (though I strayline at anchor around foul, so 30lb braid), doubled and then tied to a bit more than 2m of 30lb fluoro leader. 

Oh, and unlike the SBing, where I use a Lefty's Loop to the hook, a hard knot such as cinched up Uniknot or the like to the hook.  This makes the circle hooks grab as they should and soon enough.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:46pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Do you guys use those little clips or tie the hooks on?

The clips still have to be tied on, so I just tie with a Lefty's Loop.

IMO, the clips are just something else to tangle line in. 

The LL takes only seconds to tie if you twirl the jighead around rather than trying to wind the line around.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 6:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Always tie soft bait jig heads directly on. With slow jigs, I change weight/colour fairly regularly, so clips are very useful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

doubled and then tied to a bit more than 2m of 30lb fluoro leader. 
Bimmini twist ?
 One of my gotto knots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:42pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

And you have to many issues with the Zman getting pulled of the jig head to much?

No - they seem to hold Zmans and Biobaits just as well as Gulp!s.

Thanks Pete, they are awesome jig heads I'll try them again. Picked up some jiggly jig heads at the boat show today, I seen them on marine deals, and he had a Zman on one of them today. Gripped on real good, nice thin hooks and a bit of lumo on them as well.

The importers selling out of them so I hope their not real good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:41pm
purple5ive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Guys,
have you all seen the TT headlockz jugheads, they are made specially for z-man plastics.

http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/products.asp?categorynospaces=tt_jig_heads_-_headlockz_hd_355

another alternative is to add a drop of superglue on the head f the plastic, it never slips off then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 11:10pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On the clip side of things, the best clips I have come across are the Decoy Round and Egg snaps, the Egg ones can be difficult to get onto a lot of jig heads though.

Originally posted by purple5ive purple5ive wrote:

Guys,
have you all seen the TT headlockz jugheads, they are made specially for z-man plastics.

http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/products.asp?categorynospaces=tt_jig_heads_-_headlockz_hd_355

another alternative is to add a drop of superglue on the head f the plastic, it never slips off then.

+1 for the TT's.
That's a familiar username too, are you living in NZ now?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 11:18am
purple5ive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by makka makka wrote:

On the clip side of things, the best clips I have come across are the Decoy Round and Egg snaps, the Egg ones can be difficult to get onto a lot of jig heads though.

Originally posted by purple5ive purple5ive wrote:

Guys,

+1 for the TT's.
That's a familiar username too, are you living in NZ now?

hahah nope still in melbourne, i joined here mainly for boating info on smartwaves which are locally made in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:30am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watch out for the eye on those mustads. Two break offs on good fish last week. At the time we thought coincidence that they'd crushed the hook in mouth and bit through loop of uni knot but since found out the loop is getting trapped in the eye of the jig head because the gap is not closed well enough causing it to pinch and snap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:47pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

@Steps: Bimini twist when I have time (ie am ashore); otherwise a 6 or 7 turn Spider Hitch. The latter isn't as strong as the Bimini, but it's always been sufficient for me.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:47pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watch out for the eye on those mustads. Two break offs on good fish last week. At the time we thought coincidence that they'd crushed the hook in mouth and bit through loop of uni knot but since found out the loop is getting trapped in the eye of the jig head because the gap is not closed well enough causing it to pinch and snap.

Had a favourite brand of hooks (not SB) like that..not open enough to get the trace to the gap, but enough to cut the trace with snelled if the turns where made in the direction could slip into that side of the hook eye

@Steps: Bimini twist when I have time (ie am ashore); otherwise
On the boat.. anywhere... put the rod in the holder, bit of break on...double up, figures thru the loop, 24/ 30 turns, open the loop and pull tag end down... then the 1/2 hitches to hold and finish.. bit practice just under a minute... if that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:04pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Oh, yeah, that's the way I do it, too, but I seldom get the Bimini the way I want it aboard.

And the Spider takes me about 10 seconds...
PJ
Page  <1234>