Kabura Reel to match OA Bender

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kabura Reel to match OA Bender
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:20am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I won myself an Ocean Angler Bender Rod. Looks pretty cool and keen to get in the some kaburas. What sort of reel should I match it up with? Was thinking a shimano curado. Budget is $300
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:48am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work KeriBOI...(30 - 12) Wink
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:24am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not very fashionable, but I would recommend the Abu C3 series (Swedish made), lighter than most of the competition, resilient and available in left hand wind if that's your thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:19pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shimano Calcutta 200D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 5:25pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i prefer non level wind, shimano trinidad or okuma metaloid are all good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:33am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Abu Garcia revo toro naCI

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:52pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

The current Citica is practically identical in construction to the current Curado - and under $200 at most places.  Earlier Curados (the "D" series) were rather more robust - I have 3 that are trucking along well after 10 years.

Mind you, I have Citicas that have only ever been used for kayak softbaiting, and they're surviving well, too.

The hundred dollars above your $300, the Tranx 300 is fully salwater proofed (Shimano say) and they're only a little above the price of a Calcutta; I'd go for the Tranx because I like the way low profile baitcasters are made to operate along with the rod in your grip.

Contrasting with a post above, I'm a big fan of levelwinds, specially for braid.

PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 6:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Curado 300 EJ is my pick 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It just so happens that since first replying to this thread, I picked up an OA Bender at the Boat Show. Funny little rod, but bloody good I think! As per my post, put an Abu 4601 C3 with 20lb braid on it. It is a sweet little combo!

Because I'm weirdo and can only use left hand wind reels, I ordered from Amazon. All good. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPR2JTI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:22pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Curado 300 EJ is my pickĀ 

Mean reel i'd put it on a proper rod and softbait with it though I'm all spin these days but i'm really tempted to get a tranx they look the goods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tranx is nice but the new Shimano drags are not as good as they used to be. There is far too much on the smaller reels. The Tranx goes from nothing drag to max within one full turn of the star drag there ain't much range there to make small adjustments. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:53pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Daiwa Lexa 100.....   Very good reel suited to 20lb braid