20lb Snapper + Kings on the Hauraki Gulf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20lb Snapper + Kings on the Hauraki Gulf
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:59pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The plan was to go hunt down some Kings in the middle ground on the Gulf - I love this time of year you can really start to feel the cooler nights and mornings coming on...

With an early rise for Anzac I made a spare of the moment solo mish out to the middle grounds just after 10.00 - I was there a few weeks back chasing Kings with the family so thought I would venture out to see if they were still prowling around.

It was a beaut morn and on the way out I came across a little bit of rough with some solid sign on it - I was in about 30mtrs of water and with not a lot of wind around I cut the Honda for a little drift over it. I dropped down a bait which was instantly grabbed - it didn't feel like a bad fish either for my first baitBig smile It actually turned out to be a nice fat Carrot - and with it only lip hooked I slipped it back over the side.

My second fish turned out to be what I was after, some nice fresh bait - cutting the Kahawai into strips I dropped over a big slab. It was instantly harassed and after a few small bites something grabbed it, this felt a little more like a Snap and after a few winds up came a nice little Red for the bin. Dropping another bait produced another nice Snap there was defiantly plenty of fish holding on this little spot, Dropping down a big strip of Kahawai this time I let the Snaps play with it - it was hard to resist striking as some of the bites were pretty good but I made my self wait for that solid hit and with in a few more bites something grabbed it and striking the rod stayed buckled.

I was hooked up with some big runs and nods this one felt like a horse, it was one of those fights you want a mate there with you sharing the excitement...this thing pulled hard and a lot of string - I love fishing this light gear I was on my 3-6kg rod its just the best...

I could see color and with it still being deep I new it was a goodie - a few more mins passed then it hit the surface man it was a solid fish...It was kicking hard and being on the light gear coming up slow I new if I was quick I could set her free - I quickly boated it and took a pick on the measure mat @ 82cm - it was in top condition a magnificent "BEAST" - I only got to hold it for a few secs in the water as it powered away to fight another dayThumbs Up I caught a few more nice Snaps but that was the only beast I hooked up...

After my Snapper addiction was satisfied I continued on to sooth my Kingfish itch - coming up on the spot there was plenty of sign, it wasn't actual on my usual spot but I could see plenty of bait fish sign there as well. I set up my first drift and dropped away, I only got a couple of cranks on the Slammer and my Assassin rod loaded up. This Penn combo has fast become my fav jig combo... it was no string puller but it gave me hope the Kings were still in the area.

I fired up the Honda and reset another drift - plenty of sign but this drift yield nothing, maybe I was wrong and they had moved on. Moving back up I dropped away but this time the jig was hit on the way down "Yeeha" this was a better mod and it even pulled a bit of stringBig smile it wasn't a bad fish prob round 15-17kilo mark, quickly releasing it there was still sign showing on the Simrad so I dropped away again and after 10 or so cranks I was hooked up once again and it was another nice fish of similar sizeThumbs Up

I spent about an hour drifting around and must of caught around 10 nice kings which all went back - It turned out to be a magic day weather wise and the fishing was pretty hot as well. I love chasing kings but catching a beast of a Snapper in the gulf made my day. It use to be a common occurrence for me and my mates back in the day and just off the bay - you didn't have to travel so far to see these magnificent fish....

With a few nice Reds in the bin I called it a day - a nice 3-4hrs on the water riding soloThumbs Up

Tight lines 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 5:21pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well ard......the perfect dayThumbs Up....thats a fat snap....great job on yer own tooWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:51pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What a great report, that sounds like a mint day out well done!! What depth we're you catching those Kings in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:26pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some nice fish mate 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 1:17pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheeky question I guess, but what is the general area you refer to as the middle ground?
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:41pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Well ard......the perfect dayThumbs Up....thats a fat snap....great job on yer own tooWink

Yip she was a fatty alright was awesome to see her swim away to Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:43pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Stefan Stefan wrote:

What a great report, that sounds like a mint day out well done!! What depth we're you catching those Kings in?

Yea man mint day - always great to get out there even if the fishing not that great still makes a great day Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:43pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

Some nice fish mate 
Chuur Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:49pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Cheeky question I guess, but what is the general area you refer to as the middle ground?

Hi Bfb - middle ground is just East of Tiri on the 40-45mtr mark...

Here's a mint day we had last Dec Smile

And may last year had the Sis on board

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:28am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work mate!!!

Hoping to get my mate to take us out there, next week...
Even though Coro is firing, like to drift to change it up a bit...
Be good to break out my 10ld outfit....

cheers for the report

Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:30am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wicked!!! thanks for sharing the photos
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb